Search
Register
What are you proud of, SFF?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Lusid
http://youtube.com/watch?v=skCV2L0c6K0

What are you proud of, SFF?  Reply with quote  

Now that we're good and shamed, what are you proud of?

I'm proud of being the father of this smoove lil pimp.
Post Fri May 09, 2008 2:36 pm
organize

Im proud of you and any man who's a good father
Post Fri May 09, 2008 2:53 pm
GrantherBirdly
D&D addict

I'm unbelievably attractive and can have sex with whoever I want whenever I want without trying.

No just kidding I punch mirrors.
Post Fri May 09, 2008 3:02 pm
shambhala

I almost moved a coke can with my mind the other night. Really, I got very close.
Post Fri May 09, 2008 3:14 pm
2b
SHAKESPERIAN ACTOR

What if we're neither proud, nor ashamed?
Post Fri May 09, 2008 3:16 pm
Mark in Minnesota

The only thing I can think of to mention here right now is that I'm the best awk programmer I know, so instead I'll repost something I wrote elsewhere back in February.

At around 7:10PM, I changed my gtalk status to:
    (home) for a long time I thought the front-man for The Mountain Goats was named John Takenoprisoners

My friend Jesse immediately IMed me the following:
    7:12 PM Jesse: This reminds me of Aaron Tombofhorrors.
    7:13 PM Jesse: I had a sun sword mark.

, mark.

and we still got destroyed by that fucking lich.

I don't think we ever made it there.

I don't know about you. Maybe you're not like me. But me, I'm part of a culture of gamers, for more than half my life now. And when I see Jesse type that, I see in his words an aging veteran of a jungle war, reliving trauma instead of just remembering it. And I'm like him. There's a part of my mind forever devoted to sprinting through the jungles of Cambodia, trailing my point man by just far enough that when he fell into the ambush I was able to win the battle by avenging his death. There's a part of my mind still smarting from having permanently lost all my spell abilities due to a critical failure on a spell fumble table. There's a part of my mind that exults at beating Merlin's Pet for the first time, and a part of my mind that quails in horror at the thought of being lost in Profezzorn's Monolith, chased by demons from the Dungeon Dimensions. There's a part of my mind that shudders in futile rage at the thought of having been killed by a balrog I wrote the code for. And there's a part of my mind that clawed its way screaming into the fresh air when Chuck talks to me over morning coffee about having just gotten done rescuing the asari scientist from the krogan mercenary and his complement of geth stormtroopers.

This is who I am. A seasoned traveler of virtual worlds, from the deep and terrifying dungeons of Zork and Rogue and Nethack to the sprawling domains of NannyMUD to the cramped and brutal deathmatch maps of Doom, Duke, SOCOM, RTCW, Halo, and Gears. I've been killed by centaurs, hobgoblins, kestrels, griffins, and trolls, and had an aquator make my armor so rusty I couldn't even take it off any more. I've broken open the jewel-encrusted egg, explored the Great Underground Empire, and been eaten by more than one grue. I've been shot in the head by twelve year olds, I've been booted from Xbox Live matches for being too good with the minigun, and I've spawn-camped some of my best friends and lived to tell about it. I can throw a dragon punch, I can counter-throw, I've saved every Little Sister in Rapture, and more than 20 years later, my princess is still in another castle. I've been level 1, I've been level 20. I've ignored encumberance tables, fudged my roll on a d20, and argued over more rules than I care to admit. I've inserted a coin to continue, and I've been entering my initials next to high scores for longer than I've been signing my own name. I've dreamt of Super Mario on a skateboard, I've dreamt that I was fighting Outer Heaven terrorists on an oil rig. I've shot the food, I've entered through the Konami Code, I've fallen through the geometry by accident and on purpose, and sometimes I kill my way up to six stars just for the fun of it.

I've played games naked. I've played games drunk. I've played games through 'til dawn. I've played games laughing, and crying, and everything in beteween. And shit, that's just in the last year or so.

And the thing about it is, I know I'm not alone in any of this. I can sit and make an Aesop Rock reference in my gtalk status, and a friend who hasn't rolled D&D dice with me in probably five years can quite randomly have an eyes-dilated reaction of near pain to the memory of something that never actually happened, not to him, not to anybody. Hell, I wasn't even in that Tomb of Horrors campaign and I remember how bad it was. That module cut a swath of trauma through damn near half of my LiveJournal friends list, and when Jesse suggested to me later on in that gtalk chat that someone should run the campaign again, I rolled out into my living room and repeated his suggestion to [two of my friends], just to hear their cries of outrage.

I talk a lot about how we're the veterans of an imaginary war, and I shouldn't, because I don't want to make fun of PTSD or anybody who's had to go through that. But Jesse reminded me tonight that, even when the adversity is imaginary, the brotherhood that comes out of it can be real.

Gamer for life, and proud of it.
Post Fri May 09, 2008 3:33 pm
sequence

I'm proud of my shame--no, really.
Post Fri May 09, 2008 3:36 pm
Mikal kHill

I'm proud of my daughter, my wife, and my music. Everything else is inconsequential.

-kHill
Post Fri May 09, 2008 3:44 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

nothing yet, but i've got big ideas for this thing called life
Post Fri May 09, 2008 4:30 pm
Astro

I'm proud that after being thrown out of the family for over a decade, I'm still my grandmother's favorite.
Post Fri May 09, 2008 4:58 pm
knowrites

2b wrote:
What if we're neither proud, nor ashamed?

then you get the fuck off the internet

i'm proud of the concept sketch i did for a Bombzo portrait the other day.
i'm ashamed to not have started yet...
Post Fri May 09, 2008 6:06 pm
breakfast

I am proud of my academic achievements this year, despite my heavy addiction to this forum.
Post Fri May 09, 2008 6:25 pm
kese

Right now I'm proud of the fact that SFR out-shined KRS last night.

Aside from that I'm working to make my friends and family, and especially my father proud of me.
Post Fri May 09, 2008 6:49 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mark in Minnesota

C'mon. What's the point of this thread if you're not going to talk in depth about why you're proud of the things you're proud of?

Lusid: Tell us about something your boy has done that blew your hair back, on some "wow, he's a whole person who I'm lucky to know" shit, like Mac's story about his daughter and the coloring book in that Bukowski thread a few months ago. Every parent has stories like these. Let's hear one of yours.♠

kHill: Take a minute and tell us about how you're doing with those things. You've said, in relatively short form, about what your priorities are and how you feel about everything else in your life. But if you're proud of your wife and your girl and your music, tell us more about those things. Is your wife achieving her dreams, whatever those are? Is she overcoming adversity? Where has your music taken you that you wanted to go? What are you proud of about it? Is it a raw talent thing? Is it a hard work thing? Somebody coming to you after a show and telling you that you connected? What about your daughter? I'll bet you have something more specific you can talk about just like I'll bet Lusid has something to talk about.

Astro: There's a story there worth hearing. Why did you get thrown out? What is it about your situation that makes your grandmother cool in spite of the rest of your family?

knowrites: You should be proud. I have one of your drawings in a desk drawer right here in my office, until I can figure out what I want to do with it. You're a talented artist, and I hope you use this thread as an opportunity to post a few pieces (new or old) reminding us of that.

breakfast: What are those achievements? What are you studying, and what makes you passionate about it? I personally hope it's something in biotech, because you went over my head on that subject in very short order a couple threads ago.

kese: What work are you doing to make that happen? What's your family/social situation such that you feel you have that already? I went through the same thing with my father. After I left school (which wasn't the right place for me, I already knew hat I wanted to do when I grew up and they canceled the one class I cared about for lack of interest), I struggled with the same thing with my father. I'll never forget the look on his face or the sound of his voice eight years later when he and I were standing in his garage and I told him that he and I now had the very same job title. It's cool as fuck when you pull off something your parents didn't expect you to be able to do -- a feeling well worth working for.

If you're posting in this thread and you're being guarded or afraid of coming off as goofy, ask yourself why. If you're really proud of something, it should be worth gushing over.
Post Fri May 09, 2008 8:14 pm
Wish Sammich

I just made the most awesome scratch lemonized Angel Food Cake ever.
Post Fri May 09, 2008 8:29 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next