Search
Register
The Rolling Movie Thread (Ultimate Ultimate)
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Captiv8

Trick 'r Treat. An interesting horror film that I didn't feel was frightening at all. Maybe that wasn't the point. They were clearly going for a cheese-factor, which they were successful at, and there were some humorous moments, but I was largely disappointed in the end. The non-linear multiple storylines was a plus, however, and that was the one redeeming factor. Well, I kind of liked the little pumpkin kid too. Those were the worst werewolves of all time.
Post Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:38 am
Captiv8

What's up fam? Does no one have time for movies anymore?

A Perfect Getaway this afternoon. Not too shabby, but I think it was a the setup for the twist was a little overdone. It took me a while to call it, but I got there. Strange thing was, I didn't feel like it ruined the movie because I wasn't sure until it actually happened. Anyway, very nice setting for a film, and Steve Zahn and Milla Jovovich put in really good performances. Milla in particular showed no traces of an accent. A decent thriller.
Post Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:21 pm
Z-0

i bought "the road" on blu-ray last week. how supremely disappointing. a terrible transfer with greater colour muting than the SD version, and the vision is actually blurred in some sections. a blurred face looks great in 1080p.
Post Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:05 am
Brynjar

Just saw the new Toy Story and I loved it, it might be the best one. I also loved the short they showed before Toy Story.
Post Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:09 am
Captiv8

St. Elmo's Fire. On the surface this is a decent film full of all your Brat Pack favorites toiling through yuppiedom and some quasi-adult growing pains. Joel Schumacher knew how to tell a story even back then, that much is clear. Even Demi Moore, whom I typically don't think does well in movies, was great in her role. Even the predictably happy ending doesn't seem out of place. But then you start breaking the film down later in your head, maybe while you're working or taking a shower, and suddenly nothing makes sense. Why does the sexy but totally reckless saxophonist played by Rob Lowe, who is portrayed as a womanizer, insist on dating homely humanitarian Mare Winningham, with her coke-bottle glasses and unabashed virginity? Why does Emilio Estevez bus tables when his buddy Judd Nelson has a job with a congressman? He clearly has no trouble getting a high-paying job later in the movie. Why does everyone in the movie live in ridiculously expensive apartments in one of the best neighborhoods in Washington D.C.? And why o fucking why does Andi McDowell not only brush off the obsessive stalker moves of Emilio Estevez (which includes his driving magically to a snowy mountain range somewhere in the middle of the night and interrupting her retreat with some handsome jock-type, the location of which he obtains after threatening to kill McDowell's roommate), but actually embraces the guy on some "I'm really flattered" shit. And then they fucking kiss while McDowell's he-man gets a Polaroid camera! And she SWOONS! And then Emilio is totally calm and satisfied after apparent weeks of psychotic behavior. By the end of the movie Demi Moore is suffering from a drug habit and some mental issues but everybody forgets their differences to save her from FREEZING TO DEATH IN HER OWN APARTMENT! What kind of ridiculous plotline is that? Couldn't she have just been threatening suicide in a more conventional way? And guess who saves her? Happy-hands Rob Lowe, who almost raped her in an earlier scene right outside of his own home, where his estranged wife and child are rudely roused from slumber. And then everything is fine. Judd Nelson forgives Andrew McCarthy for sleeping with Ally Sheedy (after it came out that Nelson was banging pretty much every girl in D.C.), McCarthy is completely fine with the fact that Sheedy just wants to be friends after he's being saving himself for her for like a decade, having already endured being assessed as a homosexual tragically in love with Nelson by his friends. Rob Lowe finally gets his act together, kind of, by picking up his sax again (and he's really fucking good, one jamming scene at the bar informs us) and heading off to New York, but not before wham-bamming the virginity from Winningham. Good thing she saved herself to be left unceremoniously the next morning. This movie suffers big time from Pollyanna syndrome, and as such could never stand up to John Hughes' masterpiece, The Breakfast Club. You know what the key there was? Molly Ringwald and burgeoning alcoholic Anthony Michael Hall. They were the glue.
Post Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:25 pm
remind

Anyone see the documentary Gasland? Just saw it on HBO. It's about the (horrific) effects of hydraulic fracturing in the country. Aside from some minor scare tactics, I thought it was excellent.
Post Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:49 am
futuristxen

Z-0 wrote:
i bought "the road" on blu-ray last week. how supremely disappointing. a terrible transfer with greater colour muting than the SD version, and the vision is actually blurred in some sections. a blurred face looks great in 1080p.

Hmm? Really? I didn't notice that in my blu-ray copy. I'll have to watch it again.
Post Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:19 am
Z-0

futuristxen wrote:
Z-0 wrote:

Hmm? Really? I didn't notice that in my blu-ray copy. I'll have to watch it again.
during the flashback sequences, particularly on charlize's face.
Post Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:24 am
Z-0

my wife and i saw an extented preview of Inception tonight. from what i saw this could be nolan's best film yet, and a great reason for dicaprio to stop collaborating with scorsese.
Post Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:13 am
doogs

BUMP... i was looking for this the other day too.

i watched the american...2010-- liked it.
I also watched
Romanzo-Criminale-- 2005.. dope italian gangster flick.
tell no one... dope french murder mystery.
you me and everyone we know... amazingly cute emo flick.. loVED IT.
peace
Post Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:27 am
MCGF

has anyone seen Black Swan? I just saw that today, and it blew my fucking mind it was so creepy and so awesome. Natalie Portman is actually really good in this I thought. Best movie of 2010 in my opinion; ten times better than Inception.

EDIT: why is this in the hall of fame if its rolling?
Post Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:51 pm
Captiv8

Just watched the French film Mesrine: Killer Instinct last night. I'm disappointed with the fact that it's a two-parter, but it was excellent all the same. Vincent Cassel plays Jacques Mesrine, gangster, bank-robber, and general badboy. Cassel is an absolute force, as he is in just about every movie he's in. There is an intensity to him that most actors can never hope to possess. Great film to brush up your French on as well.
Post Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:39 pm
Self Conscious

has anyone else seen triangle? it has a very interesting concept, i dont really want to say what it is because it is best to go into the movie blind.

we need to move this out of the hall of fame so people will see it?
Post Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:20 pm
Self Conscious

Captiv8 wrote:
Just watched the French film Mesrine: Killer Instinct last night. I'm disappointed with the fact that it's a two-parter, but it was excellent all the same. Vincent Cassel plays Jacques Mesrine, gangster, bank-robber, and general badboy. Cassel is an absolute force, as he is in just about every movie he's in. There is an intensity to him that most actors can never hope to possess. Great film to brush up your French on as well.

have you seen the carlos series? its very good. i am going to check mesrine out.
Post Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:28 pm
Captiv8

No, I haven't, but it keeps catching my eye in the Watch Instantly queue. Are you endorsing it?
Post Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:08 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 23, 24, 25  Next