Search
Register
gov rick synder (R) of michigan is a jack ass
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

Between Rick Snyder, Kwame Kilpatrick, etc. I'm concerned that Michigan should even be allowed voting rights at all.

I'm harassing the shit out of my parents, I'm sure they voted R (always do). They are retiring soon and seem to be oblivious to the fact that their home is worth 50% of what they paid for it and their governor is bending them over for their retirement, and this is because the state of Michigan seems to be incapable of electing a non-piece-of-shit official.
Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:23 pm
leifkolt

jakethesnake wrote:
Between Rick Snyder, Kwame Kilpatrick, etc. I'm concerned that Michigan should even be allowed voting rights at all.

I'm harassing the shit out of my parents, I'm sure they voted R (always do). They are retiring soon and seem to be oblivious to the fact that their home is worth 50% of what they paid for it and their governor is bending them over for their retirement, and this is because the state of Michigan seems to be incapable of electing a non-piece-of-shit official.

I don't think you can blame this on the people of our state. The premise of the democratic system is that during an election voters should be able to trust in the nominees to stick by what they say and by there platform. (Despite the fact that nearly NO politician anywhere does this.) How can you predict who is just waiting to get into office to shed off all their promises and ram you in the arse?

In my opinion the problem is the type of people who gravitate towards running for office in an inpoverished state where opportunity for corruption and exploitation run rampant. They see a chance to grasp some power and a deperate and weakend general public that has little to no power to stop them and jump at it. I'm sure there are plenty of would be nominees who have a genuine will to make posotive change and build up the state, however, more times than not in the game of politics the sneaky, conniving, underhanded manipulators are the ones who end up amassing the most financial backing and political sway.

While I do agree that a lot of people in Michigan are foolish voters and decide more by party than candidate, I feel it's only because we've reached a point where all these motherfuckers are the same beast. I haven't seen a candidate for Michigan office in the last several elections that was remotely refreshing in any of the parties.

Fuck I love Michigan, but the vultures just keep circling.
Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:26 pm
Captiv8

This doesn't have so much to do with Rick Snyder as my university, but I don't think it really warrants a new thread. Anyway, the Faculty Association here voted to take a job-action (is this the fancy new euphemism for striking?) and the administration promptly filed an injunction today and were granted a temporary restraining order that compels all faculty to return to work. I think the only reason the university can do that is because this is a state-run institution, but I'm not sure. The administration was also careful to place their spin on the situation, calling it an "illegal work stoppage" that "places an irreparable and unfair burden on students."

So are the faculty being a bunch of overpaid crybabies? Maybe. It's hard to ascertain the truth in this fiasco as the faculty have their side and the administration certainly have theirs. But there are certain indisputable facts. Apparently the main issues are 1) the administration did not renew a contract with the Faculty Association, nor did they propose any sort of new contract over the summer; 2) the administration is demanding a 15-22% reduction in health care coverage, placing a freeze on cost of living pay increases, and the removal of librarians, coaches, counselors, and faculty from the new College of Medicine from the Faculty Association; 3) the university has over $228 million in "unrestricted surplus assets; and 4) the average faculty member here is paid 5% less than the average faculty member at community colleges throughout the state.

From everything I've read and heard it's not that the university can't provide any of the things the Faculty Association is asking for. The administration simply won't provide any of those things. And the president here gets over $500,000 a year in total compensation, which is a tough pill for most to swallow. So the faculty did not work today despite some very strident university-wide e-mails from the administration. I'm still going in to work on campus tomorrow because I'm not technically faculty, but it's going to be an interesting and awkward time.

The greater lesson in all of this is that the American university has become less and educational institution and more of a corporation, and that's capitalistic imperialism at its finest. When the post-secondary system is more concerned with making a profit than education there is a problem.
Post Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:36 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3