Search
Register
Witch House
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

AdamBomb

Jesse Custer wrote:
Yeah, fair enough... I guess it just wasn't at all what I expected and isn't really my kind of thing.

Put a donk on it.

LOL...what? Put a donk on it? I dont know what that means, but it sounds like a winner.
Post Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:55 am
Jesse Custer

This here is an awesome documentary that came to mind when thinking about obscure little musical genres. Well worth a half hour of your time.

http://www.vbs.tv/en-gb/watch/music-world/donk

No one I know who has watched this on my recommendation has been disappointed by it; but I'm not sure how well it will translate to an American audience...
Post Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:39 am
Captiv8

bigsole wrote:
oh good. ambient droney flying saucer attack noise is coming back and they've given it a new name. how is this even house in the least bit?

i never stopped making this kind of music, "the pyre" sound track is "witch house"

Is this why you rapped over King Night?

On another note, I'm really digging a few different bands in this quasi-genre. I say quasi because different people seem to think it means different things. In my mind it's something like the Cocteau Twins but more gothy, with a little bit of a hip hop element mainly of the DJ Screw variety. There also seems to need to be some kind of ghastly/ghostly/grisly element to the tunes, like if Dario Argento was on downers or something.

Salem seems like the most obvious embodiment of witch house, though I don't think the screwed rapping is integral or really even welcome. I've also been listening to Balam Acab and White Ring, the latter of which has much more of the goth thing going on. I don't know what it is about witch house, but I definitely want more.

This one is a bit more ethereal, but I find the vocal samples to be both lovely and creepy. This is certainly Balam Acab's best song as well. At any rate, I would put them on the brighter side of the sonic spectrum.

White Ring, on the other hand, have wholeheartedly embraced the haunted goth thing to produce some really good stuff.

I'm also intrigued by oOOoOO or whatever it is, but I can't find any music to purchase legally, at least not digitally.

EDIT: I didn't even see the neo-Suspiria and giallo references folks, but it looks like we definitely got the same vibe out of the music.
Post Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:04 pm
Captiv8

futuristxen wrote:
This is where I first heard about it:
http://freakangels.com/whitechapel/comments.php?DiscussionID=8571&page=1#Item_16

There's more videos and band names there.

I found this via your link: http://soundcloud.com/groups/witch-house

There is some really great independent stuff in here. I spent a little time last night perusing through the first five pages and I'm really impressed with the work of some of the posters. Apparently there is something out there called tranq too, which seems to be like a more docile little brother or something. Whatever this stuff is called, I like it a lot.
Post Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:17 am
futuristxen

Mater Suspiria Vision is still the main one I follow. The new Balam Acab is nice though. The Mater Suspiria Vision remix of Alejandro is one of my favorite things ever.
Post Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:13 pm
Captiv8

Jesse wrote:
Here's the Occult Trill Witch-Tape link! Was on my phone before.
http://noah23.bandcamp.com/album/c-v-i

Captiv8 wrote:
Jesse wrote:
Possibly veering from thr mandate of this thread, but Noah23 just did a witchhouse mixtape called Occult Trill. It's on his Bandcamp.
Finally something we can agree upon! So is this the new incarnation of Noah23, where he just puts out mixtapes and no official releases?
He put out Fry Cook On Venus on Fake Four early this year, I think it's his best album. He's always been bizarrely prolific, and used to drop ridiculous numbers of albums that would maybe be considered mixtape calibur by some on Legendary Entertainment, but I don't think he's reduced the "official" output.

That said, he is dead serious about retiring from music by the end of this year, which I find pretty heartbreaking. He's got some human shit going on.

I hope he finds the will to keep creating, but I guess more than that I hope my homie's okay.

Bizump!

I threw Noah a little money for putting the mixtape together. It's really just him rapping over various witch house tunes, some of which are really good, and some of which are ok. At any rate, I love everything the man has done, and I hope he keeps on putting out music. I know it has to be frustrating sometimes, but that's the row to hoe sometimes too. And I wish he would return to the lyrical style of Quicksand or Jupiter Sajitarius. Those were the pure form days.
Post Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:48 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Post Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:03 pm
Captiv8

Too obvious?
Post Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:22 pm
Plum Puddin'

Hufflepuff.
Post Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:07 pm
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

dj screw did it better
Post Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:46 am
Captiv8

The screwed bits are only one aspect, and not everybody does it.
Post Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:09 am
Captiv8

I've developed what's probably turning into a rather unhealthy obsession with witch house over the past few months. I don't care.

The next one is audio only.

Post Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:24 pm
Captiv8

River Bones, ya'll. Search for 'em in bandcamp and just revel.
Post Wed May 22, 2013 8:39 am
anomaly
Loserface

Kinda trap/witchhousish and although i'm 98% that's Mac Miller sampled, this is the jam
Post Wed May 22, 2013 9:28 am
Captiv8

Good shit, anomaly. I'm familiar with the first one, but Village is new to me. Delightfully so.
Post Wed May 22, 2013 9:57 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next