Search
Register
The next Beatles?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

spagucci-one

Raoul DeGroot wrote:

None of the dudes in those bands have a distinguishable personality.
Except for Travis Barker. He's charismatic.

Don't let your hate blind you. They would not have sold millions upon millions of albums if nobody gave a fuck about them. You can't deny that Kedis and Flea have charisma. Especially Flea. How can you hate on a guy who had a role in the cult classic Big Lebowski?
Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:42 am
Jesse Custer

Raoul DeGroot wrote:

Old people fucking hate them and so do kids.

I don't agree with anything you said but this line really made me laugh. You certainly have a way with words, Raoul.
Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:50 am
tommi teardrop

Lady Gaga probably has the best chance to do something like we are talking about. She will have the freedom to do whatever she wants and people will eat it up and ask for more. But there will be tons of haters so she will never get the consensus love that the beatles had.

Other than rap music, I can't say that there are many bands that I really anticipate new music from. I used to look forward to Bright Eyes records, but that has tailed off for me. I guess I will be interested in the next Dirty Projectors or Sleigh Bells record. Maybe Jenny Lewis. I don't know. I havn't really paid attention to radiohead in years and I've yet to get into the Arcade Fire.

If I'm really being honest. I anticipate new Trae and Royce mixtapes more than any proper albums from rock acts.

I just have one friend that let's me know about all the indie/rock music that's coming out and I just trust him here and there.

It seems like everyone likes Adele though, right?
Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:51 am
FranktheP

Raoul DeGroot wrote:
None of the dudes in those bands have a distinguishable personality.Except for Travis Barker. He's charismatic.

He was never in either of those bands.
Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:50 am
futuristxen

tommi teardrop wrote:
Lady Gaga probably has the best chance to do something like we are talking about. She will have the freedom to do whatever she wants and people will eat it up and ask for more. But there will be tons of haters so she will never get the consensus love that the beatles had.

I think Gaga is Madonna 2.0 more than anything.
Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:32 pm
futuristxen

The current rock bands that I get excited about:
The National
Modest Mouse
The Vivian Girls
Cocorosie
The White Stripes(though I guess they are broken up)
Best Coast

Some of my favorite bands through time are like:
Joy Division
The Stooges
The Ramones
Bikini Kill
The Smiths
Velvet Underground

I tend to like a lot of solo acts actually.
Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:41 pm
AdamBomb

Think about it. The majority of folks who participate in this forum came here because they were Sage/underground hip hop fans. Inherently, a lot of "underground" hip hop fans were drawn to the genre because they didn't like what the mainstream was putting out. Granted, there is a lot of crappy mainstream out, but I hate the complete rejection of everything that is or becomes "mainstream". I can dig it if you really don't like the Beatles, but I can't help but sense there is a hatred of Beatles simply because they are the most commercially successful artists ever. Weirdly, its more hipster to hate Beatles, but like Waka Flaka. We all like what we like, but if you are gonna hate at least justify why you hate.

The reason I have respect for the Beatles, is that their fans were originally little girls and they were marketed as heart throbs when they came out. They had all the "hits" and "the look". But, with each successive album, they risked alienating all the fans they earned and took chances. They grew out their hair and grew beards when all the ladies liked their clean cut boy looks. They went from 2 1/2 min pop format songs to recording dissonant orchestras, sitars, and manipulating tape recorders into 8 min long weirdness. And for whatever reason, they remained popular even by rejecting every box they were originally put in. They challenged thier listeners over and over. By being popular AND evolving, they changed music radically in a short time. No one is doing this today. Either you are weird and a small niche dig your stuff or you are weird, get popular, and then sterilize your stuff to make it more mass appealling...or you are just popular and stick to the format or keep safely emulating others.
Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:58 pm
mattarl

FranktheP wrote:
Raoul DeGroot wrote:
None of the dudes in those bands have a distinguishable personality.Except for Travis Barker. He's charismatic.

He was never in either of those bands.

was he?
Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:18 pm
futuristxen

AdamBomb wrote:
Think about it. The majority of folks who participate in this forum came here because they were Sage/underground hip hop fans. Inherently, a lot of "underground" hip hop fans were drawn to the genre because they didn't like what the mainstream was putting out. Granted, there is a lot of crappy mainstream out, but I hate the complete rejection of everything that is or becomes "mainstream". I can dig it if you really don't like the Beatles, but I can't help but sense there is a hatred of Beatles simply because they are the most commercially successful artists ever. Weirdly, its more hipster to hate Beatles, but like Waka Flaka. We all like what we like, but if you are gonna hate at least justify why you hate.

Haha whatever. Tell me about my music tastes.
Post Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:59 am
Captiv8

The irony of dis-taste.
Post Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:15 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7