Search
Register
Iphone 4s vs Android Bionic.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

O2K
SFF has a stalker.

I bought the Galaxy Nexus on Thursday and let me say that this phone is boss! I love it. It is hands down the smoothest Android yet. Plus its a Google phone so it'll get the updates first and you don't have to wait for the manufacturer to push out the updates if I am not mistaken.
Post Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:59 am
Eric B

O2K wrote:
I bought the Galaxy Nexus on Thursday and let me say that this phone is boss! I love it. It is hands down the smoothest Android yet. Plus its a Google phone so it'll get the updates first and you don't have to wait for the manufacturer to push out the updates if I am not mistaken.

I've heard battery life is horrendous. How is it going for you so far? I want this phone!
Post Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:09 am
O2K
SFF has a stalker.

Eric B wrote:
O2K wrote:

I've heard battery life is horrendous. How is it going for you so far? I want this phone!

Battery life is okay. Not terrible but not great. I had to turn the brightness of the screen down in order to save the battery life but it lasts me the whole day. I've heard mixed stories about the battery life, mine probably goes about 8 hours or so, i've heard some go 15 some only go 4. I think it's consistant. It's a great phone and probably the best phone available for Verizon. Really, it is the ICS that makes the phone so if you get a phone that's guaranteed the ICS early next year then if you can wait you are set. I do like the fact that it has multiple LED lights for notification, that is extremely helpful. I know when I have an email vs. a text without ever touching the phone.
Post Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:29 am
Jesse Custer

I haven't found battery life to be a problem either.

And if there's times when you especially need to conserve you can quite easily if you turn off the wifi; gps; auto refresh; turn down the brightness.. that kind of thing. It makes a pretty significant difference.
Post Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:37 am
squirtisblow

I am loving the Gnex as well. The battery isn't really that bad, but i was coming from an old phone that could only hold like an 8 hour charge, now i'm around 20 hours or so, i may get the extended battery as it's only 25 bucks on the verizon site right now.

I have all my music on the cloud, just signed up for netflix and watching movies on this thing is a dream, the big 720p screen is nice and it's pretty cool once you see the button disappear and the whole screen is playing the movie. Has a nice little equalizer for music. 4g is fast as shit, just as fast as my home cable connection. I really like what they did with the new OS, everything is pretty easily navigable, smooth, and i find pretty easy to use.

The on screen keyboard works well and guesses my mistakes right and words i'm not finished spelling yet. I was really worried about this because i always used my keyboard on my regular droid as i hate on screen keyboards. I have pretty large hands so the on screen keyboards on those little screens are really tough for me to use. The learning curve for using this keyboard has been pretty easy for me. I thought i was going to have to use swype or something, but i don't even think i'll need it.

My personal opinion is that this is the best phone on the market right now. Perhaps it's not the best gaming device, but i'd say it's the best at being a solid phone.

*Edit* As O2K said the multi color LED is awesome and very informative and i don't have to turn on my phone everytime i want to check what message i got or something. This is really useful while driving.
Post Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:34 pm
O2K
SFF has a stalker.

squirtisblow wrote:
I am loving the Gnex as well. The battery isn't really that bad, but i was coming from an old phone that could only hold like an 8 hour charge, now i'm around 20 hours or so, i may get the extended battery as it's only 25 bucks on the verizon site right now.

I have all my music on the cloud, just signed up for netflix and watching movies on this thing is a dream, the big 720p screen is nice and it's pretty cool once you see the button disappear and the whole screen is playing the movie. Has a nice little equalizer for music. 4g is fast as shit, just as fast as my home cable connection. I really like what they did with the new OS, everything is pretty easily navigable, smooth, and i find pretty easy to use.

The on screen keyboard works well and guesses my mistakes right and words i'm not finished spelling yet. I was really worried about this because i always used my keyboard on my regular droid as i hate on screen keyboards. I have pretty large hands so the on screen keyboards on those little screens are really tough for me to use. The learning curve for using this keyboard has been pretty easy for me. I thought i was going to have to use swype or something, but i don't even think i'll need it.

My personal opinion is that this is the best phone on the market right now. Perhaps it's not the best gaming device, but i'd say it's the best at being a solid phone.

*Edit* As O2K said the multi color LED is awesome and very informative and i don't have to turn on my phone everytime i want to check what message i got or something. This is really useful while driving.

What cloud are you using? Also have you tried the voice to text for text messages? I find myself using that most of the time for texts. It's pretty accurate once you announicate your words.
Post Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:45 pm
vintge
is vintge vince? vince vintge vincge?

with everyone talking bout battery life, i wanted to point out something awesome i started doing with my eve 4g (the best phone i've ever had and i've had iPhones and am a mac person).

get extra batteries off amazon plus one of those battery charger thingys. all in all you can get like 3-4 batteries and a charger or 2 for around $20. just keep the batteries charging in the background and you will always have a full extra battery on hand. it frees you from the wall charger and has been absolutely awesome for me.
Post Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:49 pm
squirtisblow

I use the google music cloud. it's free and you can upload up to 20,000 songs. It works seamlessly with the music app on the phone and you can even select certain albums, songs, artists, or however you'd like it, to be available offline. I'm not sure if it just downloads it to your phone or what, but the option is there.

I do use speech to text, but it's usually something i only use while driving. I used it with my OG Droid a whole lot, and will continue to use it with the Gnex. It really isn't too bad, but yea you just gotta make sure you enunciate correctly.
Post Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:54 pm
Asterax

Alright, I am writing out what I want for a replacement smartphone here. If anyone has suggestions, I'm listening. I'd call myself a power user in that I drain the power out of every smartphone I have.

Smartphone usage (Droid Incredible 2), prioritized from most to least important:
- Send/receive SMS messages in Handcent / Whatsapp / Skype
- Take/upload photos into Picasa Web Albums
- Listen to music via Google Cloud ("Google Play" now) / Pandora
- Use GPS-powered fitness apps like Cardiotrainer / Endmondo
- Watch clips via Youtube / Browser
- Share stories from NewsRob via Facebook / Email
- Write short non-work emails in built-in Gmail app

Since restarting my smartphone research, features I'd want
- Better battery life
- HDMI/Mirror Mode
- Gingerbread 4.0

Edit: I posted this because I feel like my needs are general to fit with any recent Android or iOS-based phone that came out in the past 6 months. As an Android guy, I first looked at Verizon's Android phone offerings. I have been overwhelmed by the number of Android phones available. This consistently happens as I am sure most folks on the forums have probably experienced shopping for Android products.
Post Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:19 pm
squirtisblow

Asterax wrote:
Alright, I am writing out what I want for a replacement smartphone here. If anyone has suggestions, I'm listening. I'd call myself a power user in that I drain the power out of every smartphone I have.

Smartphone usage (Droid Incredible 2), prioritized from most to least important:
- Send/receive SMS messages in Handcent / Whatsapp / Skype
- Take/upload photos into Picasa Web Albums
- Listen to music via Google Cloud ("Google Play" now) / Pandora
- Use GPS-powered fitness apps like Cardiotrainer / Endmondo
- Watch clips via Youtube / Browser
- Share stories from NewsRob via Facebook / Email
- Write short non-work emails in built-in Gmail app

Since restarting my smartphone research, features I'd want
- Better battery life
- HDMI/Mirror Mode
- Gingerbread 4.0

Edit: I posted this because I feel like my needs are general to fit with any recent Android or iOS-based phone that came out in the past 6 months. As an Android guy, I first looked at Verizon's Android phone offerings. I have been overwhelmed by the number of Android phones available. This consistently happens as I am sure most folks on the forums have probably experienced shopping for Android products.

I would just go with the Galaxy Nexus for Verizon. This is the phone i rock and i think it's the best selection from verizon. Some people have reported battery problems with this phone but mine have been fine. If i'm mostly around wifi and use my phone moderately then i'll get like 28 or 30 hours. if i'm in 4G all day then i get like half that. Battery hasn't been a huge issue for me, but i also got the extended battery, but it's only a little bit bigger (100 or 200 mah), not one of those mutant batteries that make your phone look like a panzer tank.

Also, it's not gingerbread 4.0, it's android 4.0 which is now ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich), it was android 2.3 which was gingerbread. Then 3.0 was honeycomb (for tablets), and 4.0 is supposed to combine both.
Post Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:11 pm
Asterax

Oh yeah, typo on my part.

In my opinion, Google names for their Android releases. Maybe I am too partial to the king-of-the-jungle-themed naming scheme from Apple.

vs.

Post Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:31 pm
metachronos

If you guys with android phones are concerned with battery life, try the JuiceDefender app. The paid version is worth it IMO. My phone is usually at about 50% battery with 2 days off the charger.
Post Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:17 pm
anomaly
Loserface

Apple's new iOS 6 is the bomb.com. They added a lot of new stuff that makes me very happy.
Post Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:51 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6