Search
Register
How'd you find this forum? How has it influenced you?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

PatrickBateman

How'd you find this forum? How has it influenced you?  Reply with quote  

Eleven years ago, someone handed me a Sage mixtape in high school. At the time, I was scrambling for identity a bit more desperately than these days so the uniqueness of his poetry sounded off an opportunity for me to be more of an individual. I was ecstatic. The risks he took spoke to me deeply.

I was also pretty excited that his AIM screen name was written on the tape. This gave me an opportunity to anonymously text battle him directly with catchy phrases and words that rhymed with Francis, like pantless, and Aunt Liz. Later in the early 2000's I found out that the internet wasn't so anonymous when he directly confronted me for interrupting his writing process so often. Obviously I vigorously denied the heinous accusation. Digress digress.

My love for his music brought me to this forum pretty shortly after it stopped being blue and white.

I don't remember my first few posts, but when I impregnated a girl in high school I turned here with a post that included a poll that was supposed to teach me something about love.

During some crucial years, in one way or another, this place helped teach me to stop being so self indulgent, and to offer my opinions only when I had something sincere to say.

During the Jen Swain concert, I learned that a bunch of strangers had the ability to come together to help another stranger.

And when I took an impulsive 8 hour drive to meet a random member of this forum in an extremely broken car and was welcomed with a glass of wine and open arms, I learned that going with your gut even if it's scary is more often than not the way to go.

I probably haven't posted here in over a year but it came to apparent to me while I was taking a poop about 15 minutes ago that I'd really love to hear some stories about how you were brought to this forum and how it has influenced you.

Have a go. Lets hear your story.
Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:03 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

You posted this JUST after I made this post on Facebook (which I think partially relates to your post):

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152002071910377&set=a.10150216488590377.438624.159174620376&type=1&theater&notif_t=photo_comment

What's funny is that I didn't remember how much time I spent on AIM speaking to whoever wanted to chat with me until you mentioned it in this post. If it weren't for Instant Messanger, I'm not sure I would have ever learned to type fast.
Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:22 pm
knowrites

Re: How'd you find this forum? How has it influenced you?  Reply with quote  

PatrickBateman wrote:
this place helped teach me to stop being so self indulgent, and to offer my opinions only when I had something sincere to say.
Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:50 pm
Disharmony

I heard Personal Journals in some random guy's car on my way home from school once and got hooked. I did some type of search for Makeshift Patriot(I didn't know song names, but I remember that chorus) and came up with Sage's name. Somehow I connected dots and arrived here.

I was pretty young and offered almost nothing significant to the forum. Now I'm old and offer about the same amount of significance, at least now I understand the big words people use.
Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:46 am
Hellen Earth
could be a girl. could be a guy.

First Sage track I ever heard was Gun Godz, and I was hooked. Came on the forum like twelve years ago under a differernt moniker for a bit before changing it.

This forum has definitley helped me refine my views on things. Has helped me to discover tons of new art. Althought my interactions are minimal, I certainly value this place.

Thanks Uncle Sage!
Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:10 pm
ecapataz

Great music taste, informed opinions on politics, religion and and overall skepticism of everything.

This place is a great resource.
Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:24 pm
Atreyu

I was getting a tattoo and my artist was playing Makeshift Patriot and WhoreMonger over and over. Got home and did a search.

This site has opened me up to a lot of great music - not all of it rap - and caused me to laugh hysterically, get angry and learn about things I had no previous interest in. Not bad for a bunch of people I don't know in real life.
Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:57 am
xGasPricesx

Discovered Sage about 5 years ago through Atmosphere or something like that. Stumbled upon this site and saw it had a forum, then I saw that Sage and Slug and a few other rappers I really liked actually posted here and I got all excited. I started checking it pretty regularly and started to get hooked with all the great political discussions going on and what not. This was during the build up to the 2008 election and it was right before Facebook, Twitter and social media sites like reddit started to be the dominating internet discussion, so it was still pretty active here and I was amazed to find so many smart people and so many great discussions on a whole range of issues. This forum has really helped inform my opinions on things from art, gender, race, politics, social issues, etc. It also helped push me into getting my undergrad in sociology, a decision I only somewhat regret now, but hopefully that regret will be mitigated once I get my masters and possibly PhD.

I still check this forum regularly, even though it's not as active as when I started out, but I sure am glad to have a place like this and it's helped cement SFR as my favorite record label out there.
Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:26 pm
Captiv8

I discovered the forum through Personal Journals, but lurked for about two years before I actually joined. How did I discover PJ? Through HHI, of course. Anyway, I finally decided to partake in the community because it seemed like an intellectual bastion amongst the inane quagmire of the internet. Thinking about that today, I still feel that this forum has some really intelligent, learned, well-read, and diverse membership I have ever seen. Certain people in these categories don't really post here anymore, which makes me sad, but so it goes with things like this I suppose. I miss Icarus (though still posts on rare occasions), deep in the throes of his dissertation no doubt. I also miss Sequence and Crash. The letter may have posted recently and I missed it. Not sure. And I wish Shane would post more here and less on facebook ; )
Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:55 pm
mattarl

I found Sage and Atmosphere on Punkorama (8, I think)
then I bought a sick of waging war CD at a record store in Delaware.
and my brain exploded.
I felt like I was the only person who knew Sage existed.
Shortly after, I found AHD on the new release wall of FYE at my local mall.
I thought, "I just found this guy and he is getting HUGE!!!"
haha. Atmosphere brought Sage to Cat's Cradle.
I have been stalking him via this forum ever since.
Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:27 pm
poisonfree

After annoying Mr Francis on AIM a few times I also ended up here. I lurked for a long time before getting an account, the discussions were just too thoughtful and sincere (and sarcastic when needed) for me to resist.

I'm not sure when that was, after I click "post" I can read the date near my name.:)
Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:18 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
poisonfree

2002 ! For fechs sake. Damn I feel olden.
Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:19 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reggie

I saw Sage perform roughly one million years ago. I was wearing a Heiroglyphics hoodie. I took my girlfriend at the time to the show for her birthday but ended up liking Sage's music a lot more. I bought all of the available merch, which was a Sick of Waiting tape, another tape, and a piece of vinyl. The only contact info was sagekillz@aol.com, which I never bothered using because I didn't (and don't) instant message.

Sage's first website opened in...around 2000, I guess. There was a different message board then. MessiahCarey, Jesse Dangerously, and myself were posted up here daily. Discussions ran the gamut and were a lot less sensitive then. Sage wasn't yet a symbol for activism so there was a greater variety of opinions, or at least the allowance for that variety. The forum was unique on the internet for having few incidences of people shouting each other down and trolling.

I've learned a lot from this forum, met a lot of people from this forum. I got a copy of Dana Dane With Fame through this forum. Learned a lot about a variety of things. It's also been, in some ways, a heartbreak. But things change, and the change to this forum/Sage's career has been good by a vast margin. I was one of the people who unfortunately felt marginalized, but that's my own perception and I know it.
Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:52 pm
anomaly
Loserface

I remember somehow finding this place w the moniker Loserface and it was the muffuckin Non-Prophet board.

Wish I knew what year I registered that name, but yeah....i know it's at least been 2004?

Most everyone is fairly intelligent and good discussions happen here. You're good people
Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:05 pm
mancabbage

I used to skate loads, there was an atmosphere track on this one skate video that was nice, something from lucy ford i think but i forget what, anyway some sort of time passes and my mate went on holiday to america and got the cd, brought it back and i was like dam, this shit is good....

... Then i realised i could get it myself from amazon, so bought that and looked at the related artists, took a punt on personal journals without listening to anything but the 10 sec bad quality compressed snippets they had of crack pipes. Listened to that album like a motherfucker, googled sage francis, found this place. A lot less melodrama here these days init? All good tho, what ecapataz said really + drawings of pigs
Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:54 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next