New Sagey Franks interview with Maguire Art Design
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

New Sagey Franks interview with Maguire Art Design  Reply with quote  

New interview with Maguire Art Design http://aiboston.typepad.com/illustration/
9/15/12

Q:. So you're from the Ocean State? Did you visit any good Rhody spots this past Summer?

A: I most recently attended Prolyphic's wedding at Beaver Tail and the reception was at the Towers in Narragansett. Truly gorgeous. I also visited Sweet Berry Farm with my Grandmother to check out a free blue grass performance. It's a really nice place. Very relaxing. Seems to be a place families go to let their kids climb trees. Worth checking out if you're down to make the trek into Newport. The bridge toll is getting ridiculous though. It's almost like…they don't WANT the rest of us dirty Rhode Islanders to visit. Haha.

Q: Most think of Rhode Island as only having good beaches, but what about good beats? Could you tell us about your adventure emerging from the local Providence hip hop community to your current global audience? Has it been a good trip? Are you touring the UK now?

A: I just returned home from doing shows in the UK with B. Dolan (fellow RI "strange famous" artist.) My so-called adventure began in the 80's and it continues to grow, evolve and explode upon itself before regrouping and morphing into a new form. I've maneuvered through every gauntlet this industry has had to offer, all while maintaining as much integrity as possible for the sake and honor of the talent that began this trip in the first place. Has it been a good trip? Well…it's been a hell of a trip. The only trip I know. Doesn't matter if it's been good or bad as far as I'm concerned.

Q: It takes hard work building an audience for art.  If anyone looks at your career, they will see, you are not afraid to make your own path. From mix tapes to recording and distributing your own cds and starting your own record label. Do you ever see dead ends?  When faced with challenges how do you push your creative ideas forward?

A: The dead ends are everywhere in business. Not in art though. Art and business can work hand-in-hand even though they are diametrically opposed to one another in almost every way. I try to be creative with business, but when the challenge seems to threaten my ability help myself, my artists and loved ones eat, I grow fangs and start biting motherfuckers.

Q: Hip Hop at it’s heart is storytelling. What type of stories do you like to tell in your songs? And, how does life inspire your work?

A: I disagree with the premise of your question. I believe storytelling can be a part of hip-hop, but it's not the heart of hip-hop. Slick Rick was great at storytelling, and that's something he brought to the forefront of hip-hop in the late 80's. A few artists are able to nail that style, but not many. The main story of my music is the one about my life, which is not always done in a linear or succinct manner. But sometimes I tell the story of other people's lives, such as in songs like "Little Houdini." I mainly try to tell the general story of humanity while offering a specialized and unique take according to my own experience/understanding.

Q: Does Sage have hobbies?

A: Outside of reading, writing, and being engaged on social networks (kill me now,) I don't have many hobbies anymore. I used to play a fair amount of poker. I love playing ping-pong. All I really do, outside of running a label and pushing myself as an artist, is take care of my cats.

Q: Good illustrators know rejection, and for artists breaking into the music industry it’s no different. What made you pursue starting your own independent label, Strange Famous Records?

A: I had a feeling that the major labels wouldn't be terribly eager to sign a weird white kid from Rhode Island who rapped about self-harm or metaphysical shit. So rather than waiting for someone else to invest in me I invested in myself. The support-base grew. That's how Strange Famous Records began. And that's when the other companies began taking notice. Now I have the leverage to use my discretion in regard to who I work with and who I don't.

Q: Music and art have always inspired each other. Are there any visual artists you admire? Why? And, is there a work of art that you have always wanted to see in life?

A: I'm slightly ashamed to admit that visual art doesn't impact me much. I mean, yeah, magnificent things like a star studded sky often leave me in awe. Sometimes a picture, illustration or painting will catch my eye and get my thoughts flowing. But I can't say that there is one artist in particular who I always turn to for inspiration. There are places in this world I want to see in person, but not a "work of art" per se.

Q: Over the years Illustration has evolved from pushing pencils into making digital dreams. Today, music can be made on a computer, uploaded to the Internet, and instantly distributed globally (with or without the artists’ consent!) How has recent technology influenced the way you make your music? How has it helped you to reach your audience?

A: Haha well…it's helped me reach people digitally. Via the internet. Rather than from…like…the hand-to-hand method or being available at stores. So, that's cool. More people get to hear the music that I slowly kill myself over. More people used to pay for it during the beginning of the digital revolution, and then less people paid for it as the general vibe became that "music should be free." And that's mainly due to the constant flooding of music online. It hasn't influenced the way that I make my music in any way, shape or form.

Q: What advice would you give young creative stepping out into a world who thinks they’ve seen it all?

A: Keep that creative fire burning as long as you can and never do things that compromise your integrity. Only work with people you trust. Balance the feel of your gut and the logic of your mind to the best of your ability. Otherwise, you'll be fighting off regret more than you'll enjoy the fruits of your labor.

BLOG http://SageFrancis.net
FACEBOOK http://facebook.com/SageFrancis
TWITTER http://twitter.com/SageFrancis
LABEL http://StrangeFamousRecords.com
YOUTUBE http://youtube.com/StrangeFamousRecords
Post Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:06 am
mattrego

Re: My text interview with Maguire Art Design in Boston  Reply with quote  

Sage Francis wrote:
I also visited Sweet Berry Farm with my Grandmother to check out a free blue grass performance. It's a really nice place. Very relaxing. Seems to be a place families go to let their kids climb trees. Worth checking out if you're down to make the trek into Newport.

They make their own smoked meats there. Nothing like it. The best.

Quote:

The bridge toll is getting ridiculous though. It's almost like…they don't WANT the rest of us dirty Rhode Islanders to visit. Haha.

That works both ways. Aquidneck Island doesn't want you to leave if you live here. It's like the Truman Show. Did you know they are gonna do tolls for the Mt. Hope Bridge and the new Sakonnet River Bridge also? So all three ways driving onto/off this island you will be charged.
Post Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:07 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Getting squeezed from every side. Ain't that so......us.
Post Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:56 pm

Jump to: