Search
Register
The Rap Voices
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Flossin

Captiv8 wrote:
What kind of bullshit response is that? At least elaborate. At any rate, I suspect you've misunderstood. His voice is terrible, but that's what makes him amazing. I got whatchoo need, baby.

I just think he has a great voice! Haha. I mean, he's silly and all, but I always liked his voice. Whenever I hear him rappin/singing I really like how it sounds. I also like his version of "Benny and the Jets" by Elton John, if you know it.
Is that a better response, Cap?

Also, fuckin hell, I like U-God's voice. That's pretty much his redeeming quality. You guys mean to tell me you don't like how it sounds in "Investigative Reports" or the "raw I'ma give it to ya..." stuff? His voice always seemed pretty damn good to me. Unlike his actual lyrics.
Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:04 pm
futuristxen

Some of my faves: Project Pat, Scarface, Bun B, Killer Mike, David Banner, Chuck D, Biggie
Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:32 pm
Captiv8

Flossin wrote:
Captiv8 wrote:
What kind of bullshit response is that? At least elaborate. At any rate, I suspect you've misunderstood. His voice is terrible, but that's what makes him amazing. I got whatchoo need, baby.

I just think he has a great voice! Haha. I mean, he's silly and all, but I always liked his voice. Whenever I hear him rappin/singing I really like how it sounds. I also like his version of "Benny and the Jets" by Elton John, if you know it.
Is that a better response, Cap?

Also, fuckin hell, I like U-God's voice. That's pretty much his redeeming quality. You guys mean to tell me you don't like how it sounds in "Investigative Reports" or the "raw I'ma give it to ya..." stuff? His voice always seemed pretty damn good to me. Unlike his actual lyrics.

Much appreciated. There is a fine line between a rapper with a bad voice that makes it work for them and a rapper with a bad voice that think they fucking rip it every time on some golden tongue of God shit. I don't like those guys. The Biz was great because you just knew that he would buy you a snowcone if your ever met him, and because he just seemed to do everything for the proverbial love of the game. He was totally devoid of pretense, in much the same way as ODB. Their voice was never a schtick or a gimmick. It simply was.
Post Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:05 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

i like mr lifs

and u-gods

u-gods is actually pretty great and mixxes well with the beats, when the beats are good
Post Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:30 am
bobbyC

cee lo when he used to rap
Post Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:33 pm
Limbs

bobbyC wrote:
cee lo when he used to rap

Yes.

Buck 65 has one of the best. Someone who I don't think gets his due is Treach.

DMX makes me cringe. Especially when he barks.

And at the end of the first cut off Undisputed Truth when Ali goes "Rrrrahhh!" always makes me laugh in a not good way. But I think he has a cool voice otherwise.

I really can't think of many rappers who's voices bug me enough to notice. Just specific instances.
Post Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:52 pm
Flossin

You know who got a good voice? TRUGOY.
Post Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:30 pm
Captiv8

I am probably in the minority here, but I like Jonathan Toth from Hoth's voice. The whole surfer/skater thing is really endearing to me. I wonder what happened to this cat?
Post Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:18 pm
d-nyce36

Tangg Da Juice is one voice that I love...he is from Boston, was on the Wiseguys album and Almighty RSO's last album, Doomsday, Forever RSO...

He comes on at about the 2:20 mark.
Post Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:53 am
medicineman
HALFLING

mattarl wrote:
Flossin wrote:

I like older Danny Brown joints, when he didn't yet do that voice he does all the time now. He sounded totally different then. I still like him but I'm sick of that voice now.

either way I can't listen for long periods of time.

Thank fucking GOD I am not the only person who thinks this. OP is right that different voices have different characterizations and what's right or good for one is not necessarily for another. I also think it's interesting that voices have pedigrees; Fashawn, for example, owes a great deal to Nas and doesn't shy from that. Danny Brown's would be an interesting one to discuss, there's a lot of stuff in there. Some of your taste on this is just going to be personal too. I love Guru's voice but I can see why it could grate some. Some people have a serious medical condition that doesn't allow them to enjoy the music of Bob Dylan because of his voice. I've come to terms with that.
Post Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:55 pm
Bob_ptmfus

Captiv8 wrote:
I am probably in the minority here, but I like Jonathan Toth from Hoth's voice. The whole surfer/skater thing is really endearing to me. I wonder what happened to this cat?

He still puts a lot of stuff on his bandcamp. Check thefrozenfoodsection.com

He's raising a daughter now so that takes more of his life. Although not so much that he can't post conspiracy theories on facebook all the time.
Post Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:53 pm
Captiv8

Word. Guy needs to put out an official release, because the stuff on there has the look and feel of a mixtape. Thanks for the update though.
Post Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:55 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

d-nyce36 wrote:

Tangg Da Juice is one voice that I love...he is from Boston, was on the Wiseguys album and Almighty RSO's last album, Doomsday, Forever RSO...

Nice try, Benzino.
Post Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:59 am
Captiv8

icarus502 wrote:
d-nyce36 wrote:

Nice try, Benzino.

That's it? You tantalize the forum with your presence and this is all you have time for? For shame, sir. This place needs its levity back.
Post Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:42 am
Jesse Custer

You know, I can't believe how much MF Doom owes to Biggie in his flow and that I only started noticing it more recently.

I guess because the subject matter was so different I never really thought about it...
Post Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:29 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next