Search
Register
NFL '12-'13 thread
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Ray Lewis led the team in tackles yesterday? Huh. I honestly didn't notice that. Didn't see him being much of a play maker in the last few games.
Post Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:19 am
phataccino

Ray Lewis is the all-time NFL leader in being the third or fourth guy in on the tackle, then getting credit for it because he's Ray Lewis, so the stat keepers defer to him over his teammates. Don't get me wrong, dude's one of the best middle linebackers and one of the best justice obstructors ever, but his tackle stats are padded as fuck.
Post Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:22 pm
Captiv8

It's hard to judge how accurate the stats are. The official records show Lewis with 1558 solo tackles and 492 assisted tackles. So even if all of the assisted tackles were bullshit, he still has an impressive amount of individual defensive plays. That averages out to over 91 tackles a season, which is awesome. The average per season goes up to 97 if you consider the 2002, 2005, and 2012 seasons, when he only played a combined total of 17 games. Factor in the assisted tackles and Ray Lewis averaged an astonishing 120 tackles per season. That's insane consistent and dominating output, and a huge reason why the Ravens have been so strong defensively for a long time. And I don't care about Lewis one way or another.
Post Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:22 pm
Jack

i was rooting for the ravens but ray lewis looked slow and was mainly a non factor. Patriots just could not catch a break yesterday. With the tipped pass interception and the concussion fumble. Not to mention punting twice around the 35 and only get a touchdown once in 4 redzone attempts. Brady was a bit inacurate yesterday, and the receivers weren't helping.
Post Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:36 pm
mattrego

The Patriots got throttled. From the second half on. They got physically beat up. I agree with Jack on all his points about the Pats.

There were two "all downhill right now" moments in the game for me. When Talib got hurt and when Welker dropped that huge 3rd down pass in the 3rd quarter (when they punted from the Ravens 35).

People are so sick of the Pats. It is kind of amusing.
Post Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:03 am
Mr 9999
Judge and Jury

When Talib got injured, that was pretty much the nail in the coffin for the Pats. Their secondary was shit without him before he came into the picture and they were shit without him when he went out of the picture.

That said, there's not much of an excuse for a lot of the decisions that were made by the offense and the coaches. We're typically the team that can get away with having a bad defense just because our offense is so strong. Not this game. Not at all.
Post Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:31 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

My sons, particularly the younger one, gotten to really enjoy pro football over the last couple of seasons. They're missing, of course, a lot of back stories.

Scene during Sunday night's game:
Son #1 (older): I don't like the Patriots. Their coach looks like a cheater…
Me: Well, what do you mean?
Son #1: They just look like cheaters…
Me: Well their coach did kinda get caught cheating a few years ago…
Son #2: Cheating how? How can you cheat at football?
Me: Well, he was secretly taping the other teams' practices…
Son #2: WHAT?! SERIOUSLY?! That's not "kinda" cheating! That's waaaay cheating!

Son #2, by the way, also likes Ray Lewis a lot. I haven't told him about the whole double-murder thing. Oddly enough, nobody on TV has either over the past few weeks of the #52 Retirement Lovefest. Like, really, that doesn't bear a mention, guys?
Post Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:05 am
vintge
is vintge vince? vince vintge vincge?

ray lewis was a non factor? were we watching the same game? were you guys watching football? he had 17 tackles in the broncos game an 14 tackles (6 solo 8 assists) in the pats game. the patriots also scored only one offensive td. let's be honest here people. a ray lewis lead defense dominated the game and he was the farthest thing from a non factor. just the fact that they were playing to extend his career factored in on it whether he did anything or not but he did WAY more then just his 14 tackles.
Post Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:51 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Like I said, I watched the game. I know what the stats say, but they surprised me. Someone mentioned that his stats were being inflated, and maybe that's just speculation but to me it seems to be true. Maybe we're wrong. Maybe Lewis was actually a play maker and making great tackles left and right while the NFL commentators, producers and camera men (who tend to celebrate him relentlessly) just weren't capturing it well.

This isn't to take anything away from the Ravens' defense. They were awesome. They shut the Pats down like no other team this season. Also, to Lewis' credit, it's been said that he motivates his teammates with his mere presence. That's an x-factor type thing that will not show up on a highlight reel. Or in a courtroom. But it exists.
Post Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:27 am
Jesse Custer

Haha.. Love that story icarus.
Post Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:07 am
redball

I don't remember Lewis having any really big tackles. I'm not sure if any of his solo tackles were for a loss. I think the Pats neutralized him about as well as they could. It's not that he wasn't a factor, but they kept him from having his name said a lot. So his impact was felt a bit less than it normally is, but it was clearly there.

That said, I like that there was no need for Lewis to have a huge, flashy night for the team to win. Baltimore and San Francisco have looked well balanced all year. I think the Niners have the edge on offense and the Ravens have the edge on defense. This is going to be a hell of a football game for anyone who understands the game, but it might be boring for those who only tune in to the Super Bowl.
Post Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:13 pm
Captiv8

If you're worried about offensive production from either side, I don't think that's going to be a major problem. I predict something in the high 20s to low 30s for both sides. The 49ers secondary looked pretty bad for at least half the game against Atlanta, so if Flacco can get in a rhythm they're in trouble. I'd say the 49ers need to have early success running the ball. Not massive gains, but just enough to make the defense respect it. If that happens Kaepernick will stark making some plays. I anticipate an excellent Super Bowl between two closely matched teams.
Post Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:06 pm
mattrego

I disagree with both of you. I think San Fran is going to win pretty handily. I think that read option/pistol or whatever it is called is gonna be too much for the LB's of the Ravens too handle. It is too new and NFL defenses haven't figured it out yet. I think that San Fran will be able to get pressure on Flacco by just rushing four and will force him to make stupid decisions. I believe even if Pollard tries a "dirty hit and takes a penalty just for intimidation factor" shit, it will not work on the 49ers. Kaepernick for MVP. 38-17 San Fran. Bam.

I could be wrong tho.
Post Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:34 am
Limbs

Sage Francis wrote:
the mean wrote:
Sage Francis wrote:
It's not 1988. Why are you still a Raiders fan?

Because I'm not a bandwagoner.

Yeah, but how do you even become a Raiders fan in the first place without a bandwagon? Unless you're from LA and destined to suffer through season after season. That's almost as bad as Prolyphic's loyalty to the Jets. I respect it though.

Hahahaha Respect the loyalty cock!
Post Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:48 pm
Limbs

I think SF wins but I'm the biggest Ray Lewis fan right now. Best LB I've ever seen play. He's a justified enough crazy for me.
Post Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:45 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next