Search
Register
How'd you find this forum? How has it influenced you?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Lants

I have learned a lot from this forum. I have an interest in American politics now - which can be annoying as people here in Australia don't know what I am on about most of the time.

I set up a community about weird turtle people as a direct result of a thread I made here in about 2007 - https://www.facebook.com/TurtlesEatingThings.
Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:23 pm
SergOne

icarus502 wrote:
I was to be the NP's "media assassin" i.e. their Harry Allen, though we were never clear as to what that meant. I wrote a ridiculous and generally misanthropic essay for the site about why I'm didn't believe in being an organ donor (basically, because I thought that, mathematically, the risk that my organs would go to someone truly despicable and would prolong their life outweighed the possibility that they would go to someone truly admirable and would enable them to continue their positive acts). It was dumb. I don't remember if I wrote anything else or did anything else is my "media assassin" role. I think there maybe a few more pieces but I don't remember anything about them.

The Non-Prophecies! man I thought those were dope and in a world where mom's didn't have blogs and 12 year olds didn't know how to reblog it was something I really enjoyed.

I've been thinking about the past the last few days after having a good friend pass away and I ended up checking out some old messageboards. I don't really read them anymore for various reasons but this was a place I would visit all the goddamn time. A lot of faces have changed. Hell I haven't seen Sage in a few years, maybe a run in at sxsw a couple of years back was the last time? Probably longer than that since I've seen or spoken to Joey. Couple years ago sitting down for a meal probably the last time I got up with Bernard. But it's just crazy for me to think that it was over a decade ago when visiting this website was part of my daily routine.

There are a lot of people I met via this site and just that underground hiphop scene in general that I am still friends with today (met David Drake in person in 2012 and he still sucks!) all because I spent too much time posting dumb ideas on a forum that didn't ban me. Life happened, people moved on to other things, my posts got more infrequent but it's pretty impressive to come back here and see that it's still here and people are still engaged. Most other boards have lost that battle to twitinstafacelr.

These days I'm more prone to tumblr and the occasional twitter rampage. I buy magazines like Hip Hop Weekly because I don't have a non prophecy to read any more. Thanks a lot robert, I hate you now, way to ruin my spending habits in 2012.

but for real for real it is nice that somethings are still constant in such a disposable time where everyone is quick to jump shit for whatever the fuck.
Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:46 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mark in Minnesota

Your tweets are fucking hilarious and I still miss the Grocery Eats blog.
Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:51 pm
the mean
Certified O.G.

I remember grabbing the Makeshift Patriot EP because Sage was playing in Philly and the description for the show made it sound like something I would like. It was. That was 2002, I think.

Wandered over here in 2003, and started posting when I was living in Hawai'i for the summer. Pretty sure my first post was about gay marriage.

Stopped coming by regularly when kids 2 and 3 were not sleeping, and I would use anytime they weren't making noise to catch some Zs. They've calmed down now, but I've been spending my non-work/non-kid time with a new band and working on a book.

I was in law school at the beginning, now I run the consumer group at a legal aid office in a large US city and am an acting judge. I was single, and now have been married 7 years and have 3 kids.

Of course, some things never change: still vegan, still straightedge, Raiders still haven't had a winning season (pretty sure that won't happen this year.)

Still like to argue. Still like most of you.
Post Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:24 pm
poisonfree

Im still on that AIM, i ressurected it after i deleted my facespace last year, not suprisingly there are only 3 people out of 80 who are on there.

Add me if any of yall still logon, im active during the west coast work day.

Aim: xliquid916
Steam: mistadobalina or poisonfree10@hotmail.com (i dont use this email tho)
Post Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:09 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
duxz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKLxL1rT4bo&playnext=1&list=PL87E5024A57095824&feature=results_video
Post Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:49 am
Limbs

This forum has and continues to turn me on to more stuff than I'm probably comfortable admitting. I think it's done a lot of good and it's really cool Sage continues to maintain it. I hope forums like these never go away.
Post Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:31 pm
stillred

I think joining this forum and typing the posts I did has been the only internetty thing I've ever done (couple tense shifts there but too lazy to determine whether proper syntax and bracketing my inner monologue will be easier for me and more fun for you, although I won't like it because now this whole post will have to be unedited stream of consciousness - that, friends, is an irrational, internally mandated precedent). Never aim'ed, or whatever. Never joined another forum. Never had a myspace, friendster, facebook, twitter, tumblr or pinterest.

I found Sage's music because I randomly purchased Still Sick...Urine Trouble...at Rasputin in Berkeley while attending that fine University over a decade ago. Yes, those student loans are still being paid off and, yes, that is not unrelated to me being the type of person who purchased large numbers of random cds on the off chance some might be ok. As the first paragraph suggests, Sage's music was more than quite liked and that lead me to this forum.

I don't think I've checked the forum more than once a year for the past couple (five? more?). This thread explained a lot, with the references to the social media. This thread also brought back a lot of memories. I won't bother with those because you all are living your own existences. But, will someone remind me of that character bdolan was posting as who was incredibly entertaining for a short while? Might've taken over the forum of a day or two. It's hazy.
Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:28 am
Jesse Custer

MichaelMichaelMotorcycle?
Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:00 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

No. It was a shared account and I can't even remember the name right now.

But he warned people not to make him have to "pwn3d" them. He was super l337 but he couldn't nail down the language properly. That whole thing still makes me laugh when I think of the whirlwind of confusion and fury it created in a short period of time.
Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:12 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

Zing Kong
Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:26 pm
GrantherBirdly
D&D addict

No the username who took over the forum for awhile was Steppen something.
Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:02 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Ah yes. It was Steppen.
Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:31 pm
Captiv8

Steppen was Dolan? World flipped.
Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:19 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

No, Steppen was a conglomerate account. It was mainly me, but I gave the password out to a few people who wanted to have fun with it. We colluded with each other on AIM. Back when there was time to have fun like that. Hahah. I miss having that kind of free time.
Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:09 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next