Search
Register
What to do in Boston?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

xGasPricesx

What to do in Boston?  Reply with quote  

So I'm headed out to Boston in mid-April to see Book of Mormon and I was looking for some tips on good places to eat or drink and fun things to do during the day. I will only be in Boston for Friday the 11th and then for part of the day Saturday, so I don't have a lot of time. The show is at the Boston Opera House and we have a hotel about 10 blocks away, so preferably looking for stuff around that area, although I'm open to all suggestions. One thing in particular I'm looking for is a nice, fancy restaurant for dinner because my friend bought my ticket for the show and I wanted to treat her to a nice dinner in return.

So, what's good out in Boston?
Post Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:07 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

You can watch the residents play a daily game of "big city." It's really cute.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/pretty-cute-watching-boston-residents-play-daily-g,31554/
Post Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:03 pm
xGasPricesx

Poor Boston, no matter how hard they try they just can't get any respect.
Post Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:11 pm
mattrego

You can drive a little south to Foxboro and ask bellichick and kraft why they didn't match Denver's offer for Welker.
Post Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:29 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

mattrego wrote:
You can drive a little south to Foxboro and ask bellichick and kraft why they didn't match Denver's offer for Welker.

Sooooo sour. That move. Wow.

Sorry, Welker.

You're welcome, Peyton.
Post Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:16 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

You can get into an alley fight.

Yessss yesss yesssssssss.
Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:51 am
corporateslave

I haven't eaten at a lot of places in Boston but I saw a lot of nice looking restaurants on the section of Charles St. north of Beacon St. Or if you want to take the train to Salem you can eat at the Hawthorne Hotel and I'll make your food. Also, the Cheers bar is on Beacon St. just a block or two west of Charles and Beacon, next to the Public Garden. It's the real building they used for the exterior shots, and on the first floor of the building they installed the actual bar used in the show. I sat in Kelsey Grammer's seat.
Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:44 am
crash

Location: the chocolate city with a marshmallow center and a graham cracker crust of corruption

if you like chinese this place is awesome:
http://www.gourmetdumpling.com/

lots of variety (szechuan, fujian, taiwanese...) the fish soup is a must.

i'm not very familiar with boston proper but if you find yourself in allston or cambridge i know some places worth checking out.
Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:22 am
Captiv8

mattrego wrote:

Given his recent "I'll miss Brady" comments, I place the onus of the trade on Welker. He could have stayed loyal to NE by taking $10 million instead of $12. But he didn't. This strikes me more as a big fuck you to Bellichick more than anything else.
Post Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:51 am
mattrego

Also, you won't be able to check out the Boston Phoenix any more to look for things to do. They are done. Shame.

Not to derail the thread, but in regards to Welker, I was fully ready for the Pats to let Welker walk because I thought he would get more money elsewhere, something like 4 and 32. But when I saw 2 and 12 I could not understand why the Pats did not bring him back. I think it was a pissing contest between both parties and the Patriots act is getting a little stale. Lots of people up here feel the whole ordeal is a kick in the nuts to Brady, seeing how his contract restructuring freed alot of money for the Pats to play with. Oh well. We shall see.
Post Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:12 pm
phataccino

Captiv8 wrote:
mattrego wrote:

Given his recent "I'll miss Brady" comments, I place the onus of the trade on Welker. He could have stayed loyal to NE by taking $10 million instead of $12. But he didn't. This strikes me more as a big fuck you to Bellichick more than anything else.

Why should the dude literally risking his health and well being, who has just a few years left as a wage earner, be the one to leave two million on the table? If it was really a difference of just $2 million, I blame the team more than the player. Particularly since he made essentially a lateral move to another contender, and didn't go to Buffalo or Cincinnati or something.
Post Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:22 pm
Captiv8

Not this crap again. I have zero sympathy for NFL players when it comes to health risks and retirement, for reasons I have stated previously in the NFL thread. But this thread is about Boston, a topic I know nothing about. Except that the roads are ridiculously ill-designed in terms of layout.
Post Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:38 pm
redball

The two times I visited Boston proper I walked around downtown (great to get a sense of how truly small it is) and did touristy shit. Drank lots of beer. Ate seafood. Great place to visit, I'm not sure if I'm white enough to live there.
Post Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:55 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

redball wrote:
The two times I visited Boston proper I walked around downtown (great to get a sense of how truly small it is) and did touristy shit. Drank lots of beer. Ate seafood. Great place to visit, I'm not sure if I'm white enough to live there.

The touristy stuff in Boston is pretty entertaining. Walk the Freedom trail. See the USS Constitution. Go to the Aquarium (and IMAX). Go to the Museum of Science. Hang out on Boston Common. Walk up the Bunker Hill Monument. Do the Tea Party thing at the Tea Party site. Take a Duck tour (not sure if they are around in April). Shop in Faneuil Hall. See the Old North Church. Go to the Cheers bar.

Hope this helps!
Post Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:09 am
td3

Bukowski's Tavern.

i had a peanut butter hamburger there last week before a Celts game.

fantastic.

-TD3
Post Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:53 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Jump to: