Search
Register
Movies, Movies, Movies
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Jesse Custer

That film never interested me, but then I read the book a couple years ago and really enjoyed it. Thanks for reminding me that I've been meaning to check it out!
Post Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:47 am
Captiv8

Jesse Custer wrote:
That film never interested me, but then I read the book a couple years ago and really enjoyed it. Thanks for reminding me that I've been meaning to check it out!

It's longer than it should be, but it's worth a viewing. Bonus: Matt Damon looking absurd but ripped in neon yellow booty-shorts, Matt Damon looking awkward as he joins Jude Law onstage to sing "La Vuo' Fa' L'American," and Matt Damon cutely singing "My Funny Valentine" for realz.

Also, Phillip Seymour Hoffman is in this. His role isn't huge, but he absolutely dominates the screen like Brandon in The Score.
Post Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:03 pm
anomaly
Loserface

saw The Outlaw Bandits yesterday. Some of the scenarios were ridiculous but it was entertaining. Very Pulp Fiction-ish. Good characters
Post Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:54 am
Captiv8

Extremely mixed feelings about End of Watch. On the one hand, the documentary style of the movie was absurd, if only for the difficulty in preserving this illusion throughout the entire film. If it was going to be in this style, do it a la Cops with a camera man, not with a interspersing of Gyllenhall's character ridiculously using a camcorder on the job, while clearing a house. Also, the corresponding Curbside gangster documentary enhanced the bullshittery immensely. Whose idea was that? Awful. The best way to have used this filming technique would be to not make any reference to it at all, so that blending dashcam footage, or even the chest cams, with more traditional shots would have been all the better. On the other hand, some of the dashcam footage was great, and helped develop both of the primary characters. The banter between Gyllenhaal and Pena was outstanding, and established their relationship nicely. Note that in the film's climax the documentary style was abandoned entirely.

Problem two is also a double-edged sword. You have this really loose plot meanders in and out of the viewer's focus, and this is both good and bad. Good because it eschews the normal spoon-fed linearity of the Hollywood script, and because it made the movie seem more realistic, i.e. not two larger than life action hero cops tearing up the streets of LA. And bad because at times I felt adrift, like there was no real point to what I was watching other than to show me what cops do. The director tried really hard to relieve this near-boredom with tense moments replete with anxiety-inducing music, but c'mon, that's kid's stuff. I thought that this could have been written to establish the plot immediately and refer back to it from time to time in between the regular "cops on the job" segments. Again, the director tried to do this, but only achieved it to such a limited extent that I began to question whether there was a plot at all.

I'll say this though: Gyllenhaal and Pena were completely convincing as cops. Their acting was never something I questioned.
Post Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:41 pm
Brynjar

I guess I'm gonna see End of Watch today
Post Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:54 am
Captiv8

Brynjar wrote:
I guess I'm gonna see End of Watch today

Excellent. I want more people watching more movies.

I'll add this as well: I think the biggest problem was a lack of commitment to the documentary style in End of Watch, which in turn led to a lack of consistency in its implementation. They stretched the story out over several months, but that shouldn't have affected the filming. The only recent films I can think of that did the documentary style really well are Cloverfield and Quarantine, though both of those happen more or less in real time as the events unfold.
Post Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:42 am
Jesse Custer

I'm gonna agree with your assessment in different words -

I don't disagree that it had a lot of problems. However, I didn't really notice or care that much whilst watching it because Pena and Gyllenhall had such great chemistry that they totally made the film.
Post Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:19 am
Brynjar

Still haven't watched End Of Watch :/

Saw Dead Man Down the other day, it's ok I guess. So much of the movie hinges on Noomi Rapace character is scarred in her face and everybody treats her like she's an alien or something. The neighborhood kids throw rocks at her and spray monster on her door because she looks like this

Post Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:59 am
Captiv8

Those are barely even scars. Those film-makers obviously haven't seen The Man Without a Face. Of course, I'm not of the opinion that there's this assholish group of people out there that treat scarred people like shit.
Post Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:53 am
Z-0

Captiv8 wrote:
So... Snowtown. My God. It feels weird saying it, but this was an excellent film. It was beautifully shot, and incredibly well-acted. The guy that plays John Bunting portrated psychopathy with eerie skill, and the actor that plays Jaimie didn't even seem to be acting at times. I've never seen an actor cry so many times in a movie and have it be totally believable each time. In terms of subject matter and controversy, I get why this didn't sit well with a lot of people. There were some truly disturbing and grotesque scenes. That said, I didn't take their visual presence to be for shock value. They were just ultra visceral and uncomprimising, and also really uncomfortable. To be able to convey that in a movie, to be able to elicit a genuine emotional response other than happiness or sadness, is a real challenge that Snowtown conquered. I wouldn't watch this again, but it's worth seeing at least once. Brilliant minimalistic soundtrack as well.

glad you finally got round to watching it. we were discussing it early last year. i recently watched it again with my current partner and she walked out of the room half way through it feeling physically ill. as for myself, having now viewed it several times it remains one of my favourite (if i can use that word) australian films in recent memory.
Post Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:26 pm
mancabbage

samsara is out on blu ray now. Incredible film, you gotta see it in 1080
Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:53 pm
Brynjar

Iceland Featurette For ‘Oblivion’

http://bcove.me/uvb0oj1h
Post Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:56 am
Brynjar

R.I.P Roger Ebert
Post Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:51 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

the new evil dead was BRUTAL

thumbs up and sliced off
Post Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:17 pm
Brynjar

Iron Man 3 is kinda good and kinda bad at the same time.
Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:52 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 56, 57, 58  Next