Search
Register
Sigils and Chaos Magick via Grant Morrison
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Hellen Earth
could be a girl. could be a guy.

Sigils and Chaos Magick via Grant Morrison  Reply with quote  

http://www.theremainsoftheweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/PopMagicbyGrantMorrison.pdf

This is an interesting read if you are into this sorta stuff. It sounds nutty, but when I've done sigils in the past there has been no doubt to me that it had a distinct effect consistent with my intended meaning.

The theory is that it works from you taking an intent stylized as a symbol, then bypassing the conscious mind and getting into the sub. Where it takes root and affects change.

I'd be really interested if anyone else has tried doing this sigil technique, and if they got desired results. Particularly I'd like for skeptical people to actually try it out as an experiment and see if anything happens.
Post Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:26 pm
knowrites

my favorite thing about morrison is that while watching him talk he doesn't seem at all crazy. but then trying to explain what he said to someone else you will invariably come off as a lunatic.
Post Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:46 pm
Hellen Earth

Oh agreed. The people who can discuss this stuff sincerely are few and far between.
Post Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:17 pm
Plum Puddin'

I think my wizard hat is broken.

"As a first exercise in magical consciousness spend five minutes looking at everything around you as if ALL OF IT was trying to tell you something very important."

My blender's being unusually tight lipped.

Maybe i can form an alliance with the toaster.
Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:01 am
Hellen Earth

Make sure the toaster is switched to off prior to forming an 'alliance' inside it.
Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:24 pm
Plum Puddin'

Off?

Hmm, you don't sound like much of a warlock.

I got to the 'How To Chat Up Gods' section, then my interest kind of burnt out.

Like a cock in a toaster.

Yer a wizard 'arry.
Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:15 pm
Hellen Earth

I'm an ice warlock, toasters are my enemy.
Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:25 pm
Plum Puddin'

"For every McDonald's you blow up, "they" will build two. Instead of slapping a wad of Semtex between the Happy Meals and the plastic tray, work your way up through the ranks, take over the board of Directors and turn the company into an international laughing stock. You will learn a great deal about magic on the way. Then move on to take out Disney, Nintendo, anyone you fancy"

As an Ice Warlock, have you heard of any other wizards climbing their way up the corporate ladder?

Is this Grant guy like Dumbledore?

When he says magic, is he really meaning influence over people?

I don't get it.

Teach me, Morpheus.
Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:41 pm
Hellen Earth

I suppose the premise of magickal thinking is to view daily reality in the same way you do a dream. So everything takes on heavy meaning and symbolism. So the subconscious and collective conscious is generating our experience, and can be altered by finding ways to change your subconscious. I don't necessarily think this is the way or the answer to anything. Just a different way of viewing things I guess.

Another idea is using belief as a tool. So if you can create an evocative environment and conduct a ritual using whatever cultural fašade carries the most resonance with you, then you can suspend disbelief, get into an altered state of consciousness through meditation, and then make adjustments to your subconscious that can apparently have an effect on your world. I can't deny that at least in my experience it seems to have some sort of affect.

It's not like you can do unbelievable shit. It's more analogous to NLP as far as how I understand it.

My sister is a skeptical, materialist, phd who works doing statistics mostly, her husband runs diff cognitive tests at Brandeis. I am having them help me test some of these magickal processes out.

So basically I want to perform some traditional parapsychology/telepathy tests, but preface them with magickal ritual fueled by my non-skeptical ability of being able to believe in seemingly ridiculous shit. I don't know if anything like that has been done before. I'm curious to see if these traditional occult processes and meditation affect random chance at all.
Post Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:03 pm
tommi teardrop

I read this out of one of the disinfo books about 10 years ago. I think it's at least interesting that he connects what people call magic to reality. And I like when he talks about how corporations use logos as sigils. That's sort of interesting, the idea that a symbol does develop power over time.

But I am far too much of a skeptic to think that I am going to get a raise at my job by busting a nut while thinking of a rune that represents financial improvement.

You might as well just do The Secret if that is what you are after.
Post Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:09 pm
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

[quote="tommi teardrop"

You might as well just do The Secret if that is what you are after.[/quote]
the powers of positive thinking does wonders! i dont need a stupid marketing ploy to tell me that
Post Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:24 pm
DeadAwake

The whole "just-think-positively" movement of people intrigues me. Im not saying you are mortal. But the way this modern-day mantra of "think positively" has been poured over me, i cant help but feel it shallow. It seems to be a verbal formula people concocted to dose those who are in depression or an attempt to get people to stop complaining. I'm not sure anyone who has told me to do it knows exactly what they mean by it. Maybe there is some code these people have cracked which im unable to figure out.

Perhaps you can help me know what these people mean, mortal. If you want you can be my link to outside.

These are some questions, which, if i remember, i will pose those who champion this cause. They may also give you some insight into my stance in relation to it:

What constitutes a positive and negative thought beyond ones own subjectivity? Is reprimanding oneself justly through a mental process considered positive-thinking ?

I could say to myself "Dont give up" but the endeavour could be entirely useless to me, or even hinder me, so it may be better to give up on it.

Is thinking "thinking negatively is a way to balance out my excess of positive thoughts, thus creating a more balanced thought pattern for my daily operation" considered positive thinking?

Am i thinking positively by thinking that what these people mean by positive thinking is thinking any thought which creates a positive feeling in oneself?

Yes, i can just hear one saying "you over analyse it"... well, better be safe than sorry.
Post Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:28 am
Hellen Earth

any hypothetical interaction btw consciousness and experience/reality is a bit more nuanced than 'thinking positively brings positive results' i'd say.

context is everything, and we have seemingly little of that as far as our existence goes. so we are left floundering for meaning, or we swear off the pursuit of meaning. maybe a third alternative is to give everything meaning but don't take it seriously really.
Post Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:34 pm
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

im by no means a spokesperson for the line of thinking but to me its just more of a glass is half full kind of thing

don't like your job? oh well don't let it bring you down be glad you have a job lots of people dont
relationship problems? figure it out make it right so it doesn't get you down

etc etc

Quote:

What constitutes a positive and negative thought beyond ones own subjectivity? Is reprimanding oneself justly through a mental process considered positive-thinking ?

I could say to myself "Dont give up" but the endeavour could be entirely useless to me, or even hinder me, so it may be better to give up on it.

why call it giving up? why not call it something along the lines of resignation not to mention realizing that it wont do you any good is in a roundabout way a positive thought in itself no??

Quote:

Is thinking "thinking negatively is a way to balance out my excess of positive thoughts, thus creating a more balanced thought pattern for my daily operation" considered positive thinking?

this question seems kind of antagonistic to me asking for the sake of asking i don't think balance is the word to use its more of a for every negative though there's a positive flip on it

its more of a way of training yourself to be a positive person

you are what you think you are if you think negative all the time you are going to feel like shit all the time(just read my posts here from 10 years ago for proof of that)

Quote:

Am i thinking positively by thinking that what these people mean by positive thinking is thinking any thought which creates a positive feeling in oneself?

exactly positivity can be contagious too...... of course there's 2 sides to everything but one is usually dark and shitty and negative so why not put it in the back of your mind and save it as a reminder to do/be something positive?

Quote:

Yes, i can just hear one saying "you over analyse it"...

pretty much, i tried to answer your questions as best as i could though...

Last edited by mortalthoughts on Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:13 pm
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

of course negative thoughts are going to happen just try not to sit on them if you can help it
Post Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:25 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next