Search
Register
THE Video Game Discussion Thread
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

well duh the game is called bioshock obviously its related to the others, i didnt spoil anything, you dont know the details :P
Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:23 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

this looks amazing

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/05/far-cry-3-blood-dragon-screens-leak-online

and this too

http://www.dvice.com/2013-3-19/working-lego-pip-boy-3000-ultimate-fallout-3-tribute

Post Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:23 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Post Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:54 pm
Mikal kHill

I liked and beat Far Cry 3, but I have zero interest in playing that expansion.
Post Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:04 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

its not an expansion, im pretty sure its a full game

and

i would think you would like it being that its partly a throwback to 80's sci-fi action
Post Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:48 pm
Mikal kHill

I am actually not big on futuristic scenarios unless they flip it in some weird way. Part of why I lke stuff like Bioshock so much is the throwback timeframes.

If it's not an expansion, why is it still called Far Cry 3? haha. Also, I think this like... doesn't look 80s. It looks like someone who was bork in 1993's idea of what 80s looks like. Just weird to me.
Post Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:44 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

well yeah i guess its an expansion from or a reformat of the current game but i think they are going to sell it as a standalone too
Post Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:48 pm
Mikal kHill

It strikes me as weird. I enjoyed playing the game, but I literally loathed every character in far cry 3, from the good guys to the bad guys. The whole story was a clusterfuck of stupid and I hated everyone.

This is unrelated, but i discovered one night if you accidentyally made some villager run over the Rykyat guys or wahtever, they would just start killing every fucking villager they could find, indiscriminately killing old unarmed women and shit. It was actually fairly unsettling, but I just followed them as they did it for like 30 minutes one night before reloading my save.
Post Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:52 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

i never finished it or even got far in it and i traded in towards deadspace 3

but this new version has me locked, for now
Post Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:10 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

any of you play the first two bio's with the waypoint arrows turned off?
Post Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:10 am
Captiv8

Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon looks like it could be really sweet. I'm really looking forward to playing the console game, so I may delve into this if I get bored. So stoked to return to my 360 on Wednesday!

And I've never played Bioshock 1 or 2 with the objective markers turned off. Why bother? I explore everything anyway for the hidden goodies and tape recorders. Getting a little help as to where I should be going doesn't ruin the immersion of the experience for me.
Post Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:24 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

you can still check to the map to see where to go when you want to go
Post Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:36 am
Mikal kHill

I'm letting my 360 live subscription expire. I have all these games on Steam, I got them cheaper, they look better and I can mod them. The only console i'm even really interested in at this point is a Wii-U, just for the nintendo exclusive titles (mario, zelda, etc.)

Me and Laura are both completists, so we explore the maps so thoroughly... I don't think we did it without the arrows unless there was an achievement for it.
Post Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:35 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

seriously though i hope the next system doesnt make us pay for online unless you want all that other media ap shit, multiplayer should be free just like every other system
Post Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:11 pm
Mark in Minnesota

I finished BioShock: Infinite. First playthrough, hard difficulty. Missing some of the hidden stuff, didn't get 100% of the tourist attractions or vox recorders, etc. Still have 1999 mode left to try. Not sure I'll bother.

Some initial thoughts:
1. The story connects several essentially unrelated Big Ideas. Since the main reason to play the game is to be exposed to the story I don't want to talk much about it. But there's a political/class conflict similar to what we saw in the first two games, a metaphysical thread which sits orthogonal to the game's primary conflict, and a protagonist/narrator whose identity and role in the story are initially concealed from the audience.

2. The narrative unfolds in a way that's quite similar to the first two games--intentionally so. Exploration in a series of fairly linear levels which allow for controlled exploration and limited backtracking, with most of the plot revealed through the art which decorates the level and through exposition from voice recordings collected by the protagonist as he explores. The protagonist has one friend who talks to him and follows his progress; in the first games this was a voice talking over the radio, where in this game it's a person who meets you during your travels.

3. The gameplay is incrementally expanded. The Little Sisters dynamic is replaced with a more singular in-game economy but ultimately you're still walking around through half-wrecked urban settings rummaging through people's shit and buying game-altering enhancements and ammunition from vending machines, while your progress is contested by aggressive robots, monsters, and psychopaths with guns, blunt instruments, and the occasional magical power. You still get some magic of your own. Enemy AI is essentially the same, but the combat still _feels_ different because you have an ally who aids you during the game, and the exploration is somewhat expanded through the introduction of a zipline-like mechanic. The zipline mechanic itself would have been way cooler in a truly open world, and I would love to see a Fallout-sized massive single-player world incorporate something like it.

Incremental improvement, basically--except in the ambition of the story, which is significantly more textured than anything we've seen in the past. A lot of it feels like it may have started out as an unrelated game that got bolted into the BioShock franchise the same way the same way Lords of Shadow's dark/light mechanic got bolted on to Castlevania.

I'm glad I bought the game but given that the DLC isn't due to finish coming out until next year and new consoles might arrive first, I'm not sure I'll ever revisit it. I hope Irrational makes a lot of money on this and uses it to make a lot more of these, but ultimately I think this is a week of my life and done.

My current game backlog is Gears of War: Judgment and Dead Island: Riptide, but I'm debating going back to Skyrim before tackling either one of them. My next preorder is Metro: Last Light.

I'm considering purchasing Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen and Star Trek, but I need to see detailed reviews of each before I decide. The pushed back release date on Lost Planet 3 makes me glad I didn't pre-order it, and I'll be looking for reviews on that one before buying as well.

I'm also eyeballing Remember Me and I'm really excited about State of Decay.
Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:09 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 322, 323, 324 ... 358, 359, 360  Next