Search
Register
Sigils and Chaos Magick via Grant Morrison
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

DeadAwake

I have had very mixed feelings about this idea of positive thinking for quite a while. Partly due to an egotistical bias. I cant deny it does seem to have merit.

"its more of a way of training yourself to be a positive person"

Im glad you say this. It will serve well for the basis of illustrating my stance.

I can have an internal monologue where i think to myself "you worthless swine!" because i am lazy.
In one instance, i can become agitated, in a way which leads to motivated effort to change my position.
In another, it creates in me a feeling of despondency, i accept it and maybe use it as justification for continuing my laziness.
In a third, i simply forget. I think the thoughts, yet no effect whatsoever.

Same thoughts, three different outcomes.

In the same circumstance i can think "your doing the best you can" and perhaps the outcome will be less inclined to pan out the way of the first scenario.

I think people over emphasize the thoughts and not the way we allow the
thoughts to affect us. Maybe not for all, but for some cases.

And how this ties into Sigils and Chaos Magick?... It has to do with Self-hypnosis and association.

Edit: And there is my bias. I failed to mention that i agree with your relationship and job examples. In such a situation, if i think positively and try to rouse gratitude for my suffering, instead of cursing the world it serves well. So in those cases, the positive thinking is very valuable.
Post Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:04 am
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

Quote:

I can have an internal monologue where i think to myself "you worthless swine!" because i am lazy.
In one instance, i can become agitated, in a way which leads to motivated effort to change my position.
In another, it creates in me a feeling of despondency, i accept it and maybe use it as justification for continuing my laziness.
In a third, i simply forget. I think the thoughts, yet no effect whatsoever.

thats the thing imo the thought/action of doing nothing is 'negative'(not exactly the best word to use but i think you get the idea) no?

someone thats more positive would be more than likely to take action on it.... i think
Post Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:34 am
Limbs

Limbs wrote:
Sam Harris is a neuroscientist. And not the only one. You could look into neuroscience to find out a lot of information. Information regarding human brains. Which I'm pretty sure is what you are talking about.
Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:30 am
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Ermergerd.. sigils!

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:53 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2