Search
Register
Movies, Movies, Movies
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Jesse Custer

I enjoyed Iron Man 3 on balance. I needed a little time to reflect on it afterwards, but definitely an overall thumbs up. I know it has caused a bit of controversy amongst comic fans, but I thought the twist was handled very well. The only thing I really didn't like and thought didn't make sense was the fireworks display at the end.

With all this Evil Dead talk, I rewatched Army of Darkness the other day. First time I've seen it in many years, but it really stood up well! The effects were never even cutting edge at the time, but somehow it doesn't feel really dated, I think because they were realistic about what they could achieve on their budget and also because dodgy animation, camera tricks and superimposition doesn't look as shit as bad CGI.
Post Wed May 01, 2013 2:48 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

all the special effects in the new one are real too, for the most part, they made it a point to do it oldschool, obviously theres lil bits blended in with cgi but its hardly noticeable, the new evil dead is a different beast from the classics, while still giving fans a lot of throwbacks and new stuff, and they plan on making a new evil dead 2 and then something like army of darkness , just dont go in expecting a horror comedy with this one, its just flat out a brutal horror movie
Post Wed May 01, 2013 9:46 am
smake

Iron Man 3 was a huge disappointment. The trailer depicted the movie a bit darker, with perhaps an interesting villain. The tone of the trailer was really different from the movie.

The plot was terrible, the villain generic, Extremis was hardly explained and they tried to go for cheap laughs. The really counted on Tony Starks arrogance and flamboyance to get by, but it just made the movie more hollow. Characters made stupid mistakes or weird choices. The whole Iron Man army wasn't that great either.

That said, the movie looked great. The effects were amazing and some of those big scenes were phenomenal. As with most blockbusters, I still enjoyed myself. But I had hoped for so much more (ending was kinda lame too).
Post Mon May 06, 2013 5:37 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

thats what happens when they turn it into a yearly summer flick

i wanna see it but i know its not gonna be that great, shit, avengers wasnt even that great, fun movies but yeah you get the point.

i wanna see oblivion just for the sci fi shit
Post Mon May 06, 2013 9:55 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

about fucking time, lets just hope they go through with it

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/05/star-wars-episode-vii-mark-hamill-on-his-hope-for-a-balance-between-cgi-and-old-school-fx

"While talking about how much he loved filming the Dagobah sequences for The Empire Strikes Back, which were shot on a soundstage with a lot of practical effects, Hamill then made his most specific mention of his involvement in Episode VII, revealing, “I’ve only had one creative meeting about the new films, but I do remember saying, ‘We’ve got to find a proper balance between CGI and old school [FX].” "

"After the crowd cheered this statement, Hamill added, “That’s what the challenge is, is to try and meet expectations of what you guys want. I think there’s nothing wrong with CGI, but I think you have to have a balance, because the camera perceives the width and the depth and the weight – even if it’s a miniature model, the camera just realizes that. So when you have too much CGI and the clouds are CGI and the trees are CGI and the buildings are CGI, you’re getting to a point where the figure in the shot is like a hybrid of an animated film and live-action. And I want it to have an organic look so that we don’t get into Roger Rabbit territory." He then added, with a laugh, “But I don’t imagine that the priority is what I want!”"
Post Mon May 06, 2013 10:30 am
Captiv8

Anyone else pumped about After Earth? I'm thinking it's either going to be a classic sci-fi adventure or lowest denominator pandering. And though some might take issue with Smith and son, I think their natural relationship will translate well on film. I also think it's going to be better than Oblivion, but time will tell.
Post Wed May 08, 2013 8:21 am
Brynjar

I think it's gonna be good if they don't have a "wow there are people still on Earth" angle but it's a M.Night movie so thats really the only red flag for me. Will Smith is almost always good, a script by Gary Whitta right after the Walking Dead is a smash hit for storytelling reasons and Jaden is one of the best child actors I've seen (at least in big budget movies). Funny reading posts in other forums about After Earth, Will Smith seems still be getting hate for saying no to Tarantino and having children that want to be in movies.
Post Wed May 08, 2013 1:03 pm
Brynjar

Star Trek Into Darkness is really good. It's the 2nd or 3rd best Star Trek movie in my book.
Post Fri May 10, 2013 2:44 pm
ecapataz

Kings of Summer, see it!
Post Sat May 11, 2013 12:01 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

iron man 3 was actually better than i thought it would be, decent for a 3rd movie so quickly released

and i dont really like the dark knight rises comparison trend going on

sure it has its negatives and whathaveya but it is what it is, popcorn comic book action flick
Post Tue May 14, 2013 10:20 pm
AdamBomb

Neuro wrote:
iron man 3 was actually better than i thought it would be, decent for a 3rd movie so quickly released

and i dont really like the dark knight rises comparison trend going on

sure it has its negatives and whathaveya but it is what it is, popcorn comic book action flick

Iron Man is corny. Sadly, the population of pencil thin fu manchus has gone up because of it.
Post Fri May 17, 2013 3:58 pm
xGasPricesx

I really enjoyed Iron Man 3, I thought it had a good blend of humor and action and definitely had me engaged the entire time. I went in with lower expectations given the quality of Iron Man 2 and the fact that the new one had mediocre reviews from a lot of the review sites I generally trust, but I thought it was a solid summer blockbuster super hero flick. I also think that Shane Black really knows how to write dialogue for RDJ, which definitely helped.

I'm kind of surprised to see so many people didn't like it, it might not have been better than the first, although I think I enjoyed it more than the first personally, but it was vastly better than the second and was entertaining. I'm just glad it wasn't as dark, gloomy, angsty and all on the "the hero has fallen" tip like some of the trailers made it out to be, save that shit for Batman, cause Iron Man is supposed to be fun. And that's exactly what this movie was; fun.
Post Sat May 18, 2013 12:10 am
Captiv8

Silver Linings Playbook was really fantastic. I thought Cooper gave a much more intriguing and believable performance than Lawrence, and would have won the Oscar were it not for Daniel Day Lewis. At any rate, the movie was really well acted all around, to the point where even Chris Tucker seemed right. A little slow at first, but ultimately really engaging and rewarding. No need to be a cynic all the time.

Also, I had my doubts about Spike Lee's remake of Oldboy, but I'm thinking that Josh Brolin and Elizabeth Olsen can make it worthwhile. My only concern is Samuel L. Jackson. I like it in that kitschy kind of way, but I'm not sure he can match the tone of this movie. High hopes regardless.
Post Sun May 19, 2013 2:22 pm
Brynjar

I was disappointed in Silver Linings Playbook. The hype surrounding the acting wasn't justified, some of the worst camera work I've seen in a Best Picture nom for years and that contrived, nonsensical bullshit in the script about the parlay completely turned me off.

It's decent overall
Post Sun May 19, 2013 4:11 pm
Limbs

Very excited for this and that Elysium movie.

Post Fri May 31, 2013 4:00 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 57, 58, 59  Next