Search
Register
Sole. You recorded with Lil B?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Jesse Custer

I don't get why that deserves my respect?

Someone shouting loud enough to get heard does nothing for me unless they've got something to say.
Post Sun May 19, 2013 4:56 pm
Jack

Jesse Custer wrote:

Someone shouting loud enough to get heard does nothing for me unless they've got something to say.

Eh I don't really want to get in an argument about Lil b because I don't think he is a good rapper, but I just said he deserves respect (in my opinion) because of how brilliantly he marketed, branded, and promoted himself. I don't think there is denying how good he is at that. I don't see where you got shouting from though to be honest. Lil b didn't get famous by shouting?
Post Sun May 19, 2013 6:19 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

i dont get it
Post Sun May 19, 2013 8:35 pm
Prontoid

Lil B is like a hiphop troll...he appeals to people mainly under the age of 25 who have no point of reference for what he's doing and want to laugh at the silliness that is generally considered hiphop culture in todays age....he has some alright songs, mostly just garbage, but the fact he's getting payed I can appreciate coz he's trolling the people who like him AND the people who don't like him....I think he needs some new magic tricks though coz i don't know how long people can look past the mostly mediocre songs and continue to buy into an artists whose a walking, talking, rapping internet meme....he does have some decent music amongst the crap though but that's not particularly the point of Lil B.
Post Sun May 19, 2013 9:14 pm
Jesse Custer

Jack wrote:
Jesse Custer wrote:

Eh I don't really want to get in an argument about Lil b because I don't think he is a good rapper, but I just said he deserves respect (in my opinion) because of how brilliantly he marketed, branded, and promoted himself. I don't think there is denying how good he is at that. I don't see where you got shouting from though to be honest. Lil b didn't get famous by shouting?

I'm speaking metaphorically, I don't mean literally shouting. I'm asking why his "marketing, branding and self-promotion" is worthy of my respect in and of itself.

While you're at it, go ahead and give some evidence of his "branding" too, because I don't see it.
Post Mon May 20, 2013 6:26 am
Jack

Jesse Custer wrote:
Jack wrote:
Jesse Custer wrote:

I'm speaking metaphorically, I don't mean literally shouting. I'm asking why his "marketing, branding and self-promotion" is worthy of my respect in and of itself.

While you're at it, go ahead and give some evidence of his "branding" too, because I don't see it.

If you are honestly asking of my opinion, then sure haha.

The fact he named his songs after celebrities so people would hit his videos on youtube when they search for "just bieber" or "ellen degeneres" was extremely smart shown by having almost 5 million youtube hits. His "cooking" videos were pretty funny and helped him gain fame. Taking advantage of keywords in search likes "rare" and "collectible". Naming his album "I'm gay" was extremely profitable and created a ton of attention.

But nothing compares to calling himself the basedgod and pushing that meme hard until it became a viral internet sensation. I mean from the fox news clip posted earlier in this thread to people making random internet memes about the basedgod it took off and was genius. This is what I meant by branding.

The guy is an average rapper but made his money from being a troll and genius marketing strategies. He knew how to take advantage of youtube and internet memes and did it to perfection. That in itself is respect worth in my opinion. I just have respect for anyone that does something extremely well because you don't see it often. Obviously if you don't hold those same values then of course you won't agree with me. So I can't convince you he is worthy of your respect, that's silly. Either respect him or not, I don't really care. Just explaining why I think he is a pretty smart individual.
Post Mon May 20, 2013 7:40 pm
anomaly
Loserface

"The guy is an average rapper".

Last edited by anomaly on Wed May 22, 2013 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon May 20, 2013 10:07 pm
Jesse Custer

Cheers for the response. I keep hearing that headline about his "genius trolling and marketing" get parrottted, but further detail is seldom forthcoming.

You're right in that you probably won't convince me, but it is interesting to see where you're coming from. My problem is that if I don't respect the product itself, being good at raising awareness for it is not something that impresses me.

The most immediate examples I can think of are pretty localised so I'll generalise - for example, attention-hungry reality stars that are good at filling column inches in tabloids. They're great at getting their name out there - so what? And if you argue his talent is at least above that level, I'm thinking about someone like PR guru Max Clifford. Absolute odious scumbag, but very good at his craft. I can't respect his hustle because he's a piece of shit.

I can't help feel you're ignoring the wider implications and cost of the way they achieve their notoriety if you disassociate the product and/or the methods they use.

I would be interested to know how well he has monetised this attention though out of curiosity, because obviously youtube hits and news clips don't necesarily convert to sales, right?

My question about branding was about the difference between marketing himself and actually what the brand image is? If there isn't a strong association engendered in the name I don't think you can really call it succesful branding.
Post Tue May 21, 2013 3:00 am
ecapataz

Last edited by ecapataz on Wed May 22, 2013 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed May 22, 2013 12:56 am
ecapataz

Post Wed May 22, 2013 12:59 am
ecapataz

The only thing I see him doing is paying djvlad a ton of money to feature his music videos.

This group names its tracks after celebrities and nobody knows who they are outside a few people:
http://www.discogs.com/Anal-Cunt-Defenders-Of-The-Hate/release/1595817

Neither group is particularly remarkable. Lil B is simply putting the rapper hat on to an impressionable fan base who's reference for old school is Kid Cudi
Post Wed May 22, 2013 1:03 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2