Search
Register
THE Video Game Discussion Thread
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Sarcastro

Neuro wrote:
also just as i predicted, none of the games, ...from either system look like next gen graphics

Both systems are next gen....all those games are on those systems......those are next gen graphics.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:54 am
Disharmony

So anyone here actually buying an XBOX one? I think their huge changes have angered most of the gaming community and PS4 should blow them out of the water.

Fuck XboxOne.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:28 pm
Brynjar

After hearing that PS4 will charge for multiplayer I'll go PC. The Xbox One must be a test for the judgement of the human race. If nothing changes in Microsoft's policy and they sell more then 50% of what PS4 sells we are doomed as a race.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:57 pm
Mark in Minnesota

I'll almost certainly still buy an Xbox One and it will almost certainly become my console of preference for multi-platform titles.

The question for me is whether I'll buy multiple consoles. I'm more interested in getting a PS4 than I was in a PS3, and I'm more interested in getting a Wii U than I was in a regular Wii, but the reason I ultimately never got a PS3 or a Wii was because there were enough games on the Xbox 360 that I was almost never out of things I really wanted to play.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:30 pm
Disharmony

Mark is supporting terrorism.

I said it.

Gamer treason.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:29 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

wait ps4 is gonna charge for multiplayer now???????

the major problem with xboxone is that you always have to have internet to play YOUR games that will be FULLY installed on your system , WTF that shit, really though? for example, i obviously have internet, and i have xbox live, but today for some reason my internet was down and i wanted to play a game for a few, and i was ABLE to, so are they saying in a situation like that i wont be able to play MY games , cause shit like that happens quite often

and then the whole being charged to play a borrowed game, smh, AHHHH
Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:47 pm
Mark in Minnesota

You fucking hand wringers. Terrorism? Treason? Doomed as a race? You're either joking or you're overdramatic dilettantes, and either way you don't speak for the gaming community to which I belong.

Back from 2008:

http://strangefamousrecords.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=685832#685832
Mark in Minnesota wrote:
The only thing I can think of to mention here right now is that I'm the best awk programmer I know, so instead I'll repost something I wrote elsewhere back in February.

At around 7:10PM, I changed my gtalk status to:
    (home) for a long time I thought the front-man for The Mountain Goats was named John Takenoprisoners

My friend Jesse immediately IMed me the following:
    7:12 PM Jesse: This reminds me of Aaron Tombofhorrors.
    7:13 PM Jesse: I had a sun sword mark.

, mark.

and we still got destroyed by that fucking lich.

I don't think we ever made it there.

I don't know about you. Maybe you're not like me. But me, I'm part of a culture of gamers, for more than half my life now. And when I see Jesse type that, I see in his words an aging veteran of a jungle war, reliving trauma instead of just remembering it. And I'm like him. There's a part of my mind forever devoted to sprinting through the jungles of Cambodia, trailing my point man by just far enough that when he fell into the ambush I was able to win the battle by avenging his death. There's a part of my mind still smarting from having permanently lost all my spell abilities due to a critical failure on a spell fumble table. There's a part of my mind that exults at beating Merlin's Pet for the first time, and a part of my mind that quails in horror at the thought of being lost in Profezzorn's Monolith, chased by demons from the Dungeon Dimensions. There's a part of my mind that shudders in futile rage at the thought of having been killed by a balrog I wrote the code for. And there's a part of my mind that clawed its way screaming into the fresh air when Chuck talks to me over morning coffee about having just gotten done rescuing the asari scientist from the krogan mercenary and his complement of geth stormtroopers.

This is who I am. A seasoned traveler of virtual worlds, from the deep and terrifying dungeons of Zork and Rogue and Nethack to the sprawling domains of NannyMUD to the cramped and brutal deathmatch maps of Doom, Duke, SOCOM, RTCW, Halo, and Gears. I've been killed by centaurs, hobgoblins, kestrels, griffins, and trolls, and had an aquator make my armor so rusty I couldn't even take it off any more. I've broken open the jewel-encrusted egg, explored the Great Underground Empire, and been eaten by more than one grue. I've been shot in the head by twelve year olds, I've been booted from Xbox Live matches for being too good with the minigun, and I've spawn-camped some of my best friends and lived to tell about it. I can throw a dragon punch, I can counter-throw, I've saved every Little Sister in Rapture, and more than 20 years later, my princess is still in another castle. I've been level 1, I've been level 20. I've ignored encumberance tables, fudged my roll on a d20, and argued over more rules than I care to admit. I've inserted a coin to continue, and I've been entering my initials next to high scores for longer than I've been signing my own name. I've dreamt of Super Mario on a skateboard, I've dreamt that I was fighting Outer Heaven terrorists on an oil rig. I've shot the food, I've entered through the Konami Code, I've fallen through the geometry by accident and on purpose, and sometimes I kill my way up to six stars just for the fun of it.

I've played games naked. I've played games drunk. I've played games through 'til dawn. I've played games laughing, and crying, and everything in beteween. And shit, that's just in the last year or so.

And the thing about it is, I know I'm not alone in any of this. I can sit and make an Aesop Rock reference in my gtalk status, and a friend who hasn't rolled D&D dice with me in probably five years can quite randomly have an eyes-dilated reaction of near pain to the memory of something that never actually happened, not to him, not to anybody. Hell, I wasn't even in that Tomb of Horrors campaign and I remember how bad it was. That module cut a swath of trauma through damn near half of my LiveJournal friends list, and when Jesse suggested to me later on in that gtalk chat that someone should run the campaign again, I rolled out into my living room and repeated his suggestion to [two of my friends], just to hear their cries of outrage.

I talk a lot about how we're the veterans of an imaginary war, and I shouldn't, because I don't want to make fun of PTSD or anybody who's had to go through that. But Jesse reminded me tonight that, even when the adversity is imaginary, the brotherhood that comes out of it can be real.

Gamer for life, and proud of it.

That was five years ago and my presence in this thread alone should tell you that my commitment to the cause has not wavered. I love gamer culture the way Jack Bauer and Snake Doctor loved their TV countries, and I've been flying flags for the gamer nation for as long as I am able to remember.

I mean that literally. I remember being four years old standing in the tiny arcade in the 7-Hi strip mall in Minnetonka on days my mom took me there to return glass pop and beer bottles for the deposit, and stare at the screen on the Dragon's Lair arcade game that I couldn't play because it was fifty cents a pop and I didn't ever have fifty cents. It's my first permanent memory of video games and I distinctly remember already knowing what video games were and thinking it sucked that I never had the fifty cents for this one.

But I did have an Atari 2600 at home, and my dad had a CP/M computer with a few games on eight inch floppy disks, and he tells me I was mashing keys on that keyboard before I could talk and booting the games up myself before I could read. Later he had one of the luggable Compaq green-screen machines running very early MS/DOS, and my mother had a Tandy 1000.

From games so old there are no record of them anywhere I've been able to find on the Internet, to things like Breakout and Enduro and Pac-Man and Q-Bert.

To King's Quest 1, King's Quest 2, and beyond. To crying my little head off because I got Space Quest 3 after months of anticipation only to find out that my mom's Tandy didn't have enough RAM for it. I still played the entire game, at a friend's house on his moderately better PC.

I played Zork 1 for hours on end in a public library. My mom brought home weird pirated games on floppy disk that she got from co-workers, like a copy of Rogue where someone had filled in all the high scores with names of characters from Gone With the Wind, and something called Executive Suite where you went through a menu-based system to earn promotions in an office job at a company, and a stats-driven greyhound racing simulator.

At my dad's house we got the original NES with R.O.B. the Robot and the Zapper and Super Mario and Duck Hunt. I played games like those, like Gyromite and Wild Gunman and Urban Champion, and The Legend of Zelda with its live-action commercials was all I wanted for Christmas the year it came out. I played the shit out of that, and its sequel. And Metal Gear, and Final Fantasy, and Blaster Master, and Dragon Warrior, and Gradius and Life Force.

At my mom's house I got a Game Boy and a Super Nintendo, and eventually a Packard Bell 386 with a modem. I discovered BBSes and BBS door games. I discovered MUDs. I played a lot of the Ultima games, and Wolfenstein 3D and the Duke Nukem games and the Commander Keen games and Alone in the Dark and a ton of other stuff. In the Pentium era I played X-COM and some of the early RTS titles.

Finally I started working and I almost immediately bought a PlayStation and a Nintendo 64 which meant I could stop playing those systems at friends' houses. GoldenEye 007 and WCW vs the World and WCW vs nWo and Wrestlemania 2K and the rest; Mario 64 and Zelda 64 and Majora's Mask; Blast Corps and Wave Race and Star Fox and some other genuine trash. Classics like Final Fantasy Tactics, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (201.4% complete was the best I did, IIRC), Metal Gear Solid, and some serious trash as well.

I missed out on the DreamCast because I was going through a bad breakup right as it came out, and by the time the rent situation had sorted itself out the writing was already on the wall. But I got a PS2 and an Xbox and a Game Cube and I played games on all of them. At least two dozen titles for each one of those systems. Hours and hours spent in Final Fantasy and Zelda and Metroid Prime and GTA and Bully and Halo and Prince of Persia and Dynasty Warriors and so much more.

The Xbox was by far my favorite of those systems. It was the only one that got online multiplayer right, and I played a fuckton of Return to Castle Wolfenstein on it, only quitting when players figured out that they could buffer overflow the gamer nickname field to do all kinds of weird, crazy cheats and Microsoft couldn't do anything to track them because they hadn't instrumented the system to support patching of the software or monitoring of the playerbase. This was better than the PS2 where online was never much more than an experiment, and it was _definitely_ better than the Game Cube which assumed most people would just use modems. They got it right, and free downloadable content for Knights of the Old Republic was a totally unexpected revelation that made a good game better and longer.

So I got an Xbox 360, and thought about getting a PS3 as well but they were expensive and there were supply issues and for _years_ after the console launched there just weren't any exclusives I cared about. If I owned that console I would have bought Disgaea sequels, God of War sequels, maybe Heavy Rain, maybe Metal Gear Solid 4, but the only ones I really felt like I was missing out on were Infamous and the later Uncharted games and those were comparatively late entries to the franchise. Meanwhile the Xbox 360 fucked up essentially none of the multiplatform titles I cared about--and let me stream music from my Windows PC directly into the games I was playing with essentially no headache. The console never gave me a reason to break up with it, and its competitors never gave me a reason to chase them down--although I probably _would_ have bought a Wii for the first-party titles if Nintendo hadn't split their library between the Game Boy Advance and the DS, both of which I owned and played the fuck out of for short periods of time.

Meanwhile I went from subscribing to Video Games & Computer Entertainment magazine and Nintendo Power and shopping at Target and Software Etc for games to getting my gaming news from Penny Arcade and video game journalism segments of Toonami and MTV and G4 Tech TV, and shopping for games at GameStop and Best Buy--and that worked great for a generation, but then Best Buy started being a flea market full of endless $10 bin crap for kids and only stocking a third of the first-party accessories and having kids in blue shirts roll their eyes at me when I asked if this week's RPG was in stock, and GameStop went from tutting me for not preordering everything to making me stand in line behind poor while trash tutting at the clerks because last year's Madden game was only worth $1.85 in trade-in credit and her skate-shoes-and-pimples son-slash-boyfriend was really hoping that the ten games he was trading in would get him more than $15 into the $50 he needed to buy a used copy of the latest Call of Duty. And no I don't want a strategy guide and no I don't have a used cellphone to sell you and why don't you stock PC games any more?

Now news about the next generation of consoles has hit and the big news is that I should skip an entire generation of Microsoft exclusives out of, what, solidarity with that sleazy bullshit? A generation of exclusives I will be able to download to my console on the first day I want to play them, with no fear about scratched discs or full shelves or backorders or shipping methods?

Yes, it sucks that it will be harder to lend games to friends. Yes, it sucks that some of my friends with unsteady Internet will stop being console gamers. But am I going to not play the games I love because of it?

Excuse me. Sorry. Did you forget something? I AM A GOD DAMNED GAMER. LIFELONG. This means I play the fucking games. Dozens of them every year, hundreds and hundreds of hours. It makes the inside of my brain sizzle and pop with electricity. Fills my head with ideas, brightens my dreams.

It's not a question of resources for me. The aching resource question for me is whether I want to replace my existing 46 inch 1080p Sharp Aquos TV with something 3D-capable, and shell out for a remodel of my living room to be able to do true PC gaming on that screen instead of the dedicated monitors I keep in my office. I have $500 for this console, I have $400 for the other one, I even have $200 for a 3DS XL if I decide I'm willing to risk insomnia by starting to play games in bed again. What I don't necessarily have is the time to play all of it, and I know one thing after the unveils and the E3 reveals and the first 100 days of the Wii U: Xbox One is going to have games I will make time to play. And honestly I didn't need E3 to tell me that. Microsoft Game Studios puts out dope fucking games. Tell me I cheated myself for not giving Nintendo or Sony's publishing arms the same deference and you might be able to talk me into buying new consoles to dig into their backlog later this year. Ask me if I would have left some of these features out of the console if I had designed it, and you'll probably get a too-long answer which backs up Neuro's "smh" sentiment. But tell me I shouldn't play good games because the design choices are too anti-consumer for you? I'm sorry, you must have mistaken me for someone else.

Maybe that's because we haven't been introduced.

I'm a gamer. I play the games.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:19 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:19 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

xboxone reminds me of batman forever the invention that the riddler (jim carrey) made
Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:26 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

skittles!

Madden 25 looks next gen in the next gen screen shots...
Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:13 pm
Captiv8

I bitch and moan about games on here, talking about this or that shortcoming. Blah blah blah. But in the end, I'm choosing to play certain games, utilizing a certain system. So, if you want the Xbox One or PS4, whatever. If you don't: same. It's an optional item in your life, and my life, and everyone's life. Xbox One got your panties in a twist? Go spelunking. PS4 not have enough games to suit you? Take up geocaching. I don't give a fuck. Bunch of material girls crying out there.
Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:49 pm
Plum Puddin'

I'm gonna get both. PS4 to play games, X Bone so i can have someone anonymous over the other side of the world watch me masturbate.

Everybody wins.
Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:00 pm
Captiv8

Plum Puddin' wrote:
I'm gonna get both. PS4 to play games, X Bone so i can have someone anonymous over the other side of the world watch me masturbate.

Everybody wins.

You can do that now without dropping $500. Omegle, son. It will save your exhibitionist soul. And you might meet Ben Folds.
Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:02 pm
Plum Puddin'

Captiv8 wrote:
Plum Puddin' wrote:

Everybody wins.

You can do that now without dropping $500. Omegle, son. It will save your exhibitionist soul. And you might meet Ben Folds.

Too many penises, not enough NSA agents.
Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:19 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

not to burst your bubble T wrex but thats most likely a cutscene, cut scenes dont count, cut scenes been looking like that for quite some time anyways
Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:31 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 327, 328, 329 ... 354, 355, 356  Next