Search
Register
Blow My Whistle.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Limbs

I think this just means we all need to stay talking more shit. I think that is a good plan of attack.
Post Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:35 pm
Limbs

Straight up. If they're listening lets say something.
Post Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:37 pm
Bicycle

Team Apocalypse is frothing at the mouth for the 'i-told-you-so' trophy. They really don't have much competition

like, when did we decide that Orwell was prophetic? Couldn't we have picked a future with floating cities and jetpacks? I guess floating cities and jetpacks lack sophistication. Not edgy enough. and you cant really use cool phrases like "wake up!" and "sheeple" about those sorta things
Post Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:38 am
AdamBomb

I think Idiocracy was more prophetic than Orwell. We just keep getting dumber and more apathetic. Even when we are shown things that a former generation would have died for, we either don't care to know any more or don't fully think through the consequences of what it means.
Post Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:12 am
Captiv8

I think it's an incredible disparity that there are whistleblower laws in place to protect people that expose corporations, but not governments, especially when the US government is run like a juggernaut for and by corporate interests. In my mind, Edward Snowden did not leak information to a foreign government on the sly, and thus did not commit treason or sedition, or any other derivation thereof. It's also amazing, but par for the course, that the focus of what Snowden did is on his actions, and not on the fact that we now have undeniable proof that the government is spying on its own citizens, and that the Patriot Act effectively allows the government to intrude on everyone's privacy. This is to say nothing of racial and religious profiling.

Personally, I think it's good for Snowden to be granted asylum, as it wraps the knuckles of the US long-arm. I think he has his own motives in this that go beyond just informing the public, but I also think they're negligible given that he didn't actively aid a foreign government. On the other hand, I would like to see Snowden stand trial and at least create a test case by which invasive government practices can be challenged and changed. I think there is no way in hell government would be cleared of the charges against him, especially since I can't imagine a truly neutral proceeding, but the good news is that he's protected himself from being disappeared by becoming a public figure. Fucking rendition, right?

On a more general note, it's astounding that calling out your government on some bullshit is considered treasonous. This basically just sets a precedent of immunity and indemnity. You can't actually rebel or revolt without being labeled a traitor or enemy of the state. You can only fight a paper way in a jungle made of red tape and MC Esher-like staircases that loop to nowhere. My hope is that events like this help illuminate to the American public how fragile and tenuous their freedom really is.
Post Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:41 am
Limbs

This is probably the last straw for me defending Obama anymore. This'll hopefully at least quiet the drones whiners tho.

Maybe apathy is setting in. I was just like "of course". What can we do but talk shit and hoard information?
Post Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:53 pm
futuristxen

With the media toothless. The government bought. Most of the country brainwashed or sedated...we are fucked. At this point just buckle up and try to survive it.

Cant even rouse Republicans to an impeachment vote over this. All they care about is Libya.
Post Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:15 am
DeadAwake

"The very word secrecy is repugnant in a free and open society; and we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths and to secret proceedings. We decided long ago that the dangers of excessive and unwarranted concealment of pertinent facts far outweighed the dangers which are cited to justify it." - JFK
Post Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:32 pm
Limbs

"Stuff I don't mean" - every president ever
Post Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:50 pm
DeadAwake

Limbs wrote:
"Stuff I don't mean" - every president ever

Need i remind you that your plan of attack was to stay talking more shit a few posts ago?
Post Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:29 pm
breakfast

I think part of the silence instead of outrage over NSA data collection is the sense of powerlessness people are feeling, personally and politically. You can do your part as a citizen to argue for more transparency and reasonable privacy laws, vote for the guy you think will uphold those values in an executive position, and is turns out, neither the NSA nor the executive branch care about that shit at all. It's easy to feel really disenfranchised by all of it, and it makes trying to agitate for substantial change intimidating. It's a weird position to be in when you're trying to shake up the system, and the system knows which cute names you call your partner and how often you see your therapist.
Post Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:42 am
Plum Puddin'

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-08/obama-cancels-talks-with-putin/4872492

Obama isnt going to Vlads party anymore because Ed is going to be there and he totally told everyone how Obama was snooping through their stuff during Gym class.

Fuckin' Ed.

Snitches end up in ditches.

Or Moscow.
Post Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:23 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2