Search
Register
Yeezus Grail
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Limbs

Dumb The Jewels (and run them from the dumb)
Post Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:50 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

you are taking this too far, its kanye you should be bashing not run the jewels

i completely disagree with you too, the album is really good and if you liked C4C and RAP music its a DIRECT continuation of those albums, the rapping , lyrics, and production go right along with them and are just as good if not better
Post Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:39 pm
Limbs

I know neuro. I know. I'm not mad at anyone for enjoying it. I certainly don't HATE it. It just falls short for me in so many ways. Maybe I'm too old. (Says the guy younger than both of these guys).

I must say though, I don't know what you get out of C4C if you think RTJ is on that same level. And RAP Music already hasn't aged well for me. :/
Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:43 am
Limbs

Kanye is way too easy of a target. Yes his music is garbage but his whole character demands garbage music which makes it forgivable and fun to watch from a distance.
Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:45 am
Limbs

Limbs wrote:
Dumb The Jewels (and run them from the dumb)

They fooled you. It's ok. They've fooled me to. That's why my post here is a good post. There was a time I would've just responded with quoting myself here. I'm growing.
Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:47 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Post Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:33 pm
GrantherBirdly
D&D addict

el-p's production is as good if not better than it's ever been. the same goes for his flows. killer mike is fantastic as ever. run the jewels is floor-to-ceiling solid.
Post Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:48 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

damn right
Post Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:10 pm
mancabbage

run the jewels sounds like a monster, for me its the perfect length for a record of loud bangers like that, im getting old.. i dont think i could take an hour of em, but 30 mins of that on full volume and im running into my garden naked pouring boiling water down ant holes. awesome record.. last track is prob my fav for now
Post Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:39 pm
Captiv8

Since this has become the "Yeezus Grail Jewels" thread, I think it's important to mention how much better the production is on Run the Jewels and R.A.P. Music than Cancer 4 Cure. Don't get me wrong: I like the latter record, but I don't love it. I'm blown away that El would put out bangers for others or in collaboration, but not for himself. Matter of fact, the only really hard track is "The Full Retard," followed by maybe "Tougher, Colder, Killer." The rest are great in terms of production quality and savvy, but not what I listen for in a beat that I want to, say, ride or workout to. I see Cancer 4 Cure more a kind of background record, for the most, part, which is a continuation from the direction ISWYD moved toward. Those two albums get dusted off from time to time, whereas Fantastic Damage always remains in steady rotation. All of that is to say that Run the Jewels is, production-wise, everything I want to hear in an El-P beat.
Post Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:16 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

have you played c4c anywhere besides your computer, that shit sounds amazing, definitely not background music, it sounds like a razor sharp adamantium chainsaw pulsing into your domepiece, give it another try on some good loud speakers, really loud in your delorean , or with a nice set of headphones really loud, play it Loud and listen to the details, and make sure you have a legit copy of the album and not some shitty rip
Post Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:42 pm
Captiv8

I've listened to it with headphones and through my car's speakers, which aren't top end but still have a nice sound. But the problem is that I don't want to listen to the full album. There is no compulsion or craving there like there is with Fan Dam and RTJ. I respect C4C for being something El obviously wanted to do, but it just doesn't appeal to my listening sensibilities. I felt much the same about Aesop Rock's None Shall Pass. Thankfully Skelethon brought back the boom bap. I'm hoping El-P's next album does the same, since I'll likely get it no matter what.
Post Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:10 am
Limbs

Man. For my money ISWYD is El's masterpiece. That's a bit of an aside. But I'm really not into this rapping for the sake of rapping or banging beats for the sake of banging beats. As a consumer of music I need much more happening. Don't get me wrong, rappers and producers who just "rip it", for lack of a better term, have it's place. And I can enjoy it for what it is when the mood is right but it doesn't sit in my head longer than that moment. It's not something I go back to with any regularity. Maybe it's that I rarely listen to music with other people or I don't go running or something but it doesn't give me those butterflies and brain curls that a real, beautiful executed song/album gives me. I need mood changes and a journey to go on. Sometimes a moment demands that "boom bap" (whatever that even means anymore) and when it's placed thoughtfully next to another mood it is much more memorable to me than 30-60 minutes of the same tempo and same concept over and over again. I honestly don't see the point of listening to RTJ more than a handful of times. Take me on a journey. Surprise me. Excite me. Don't beat a dead fucking horse. I guess I'm just not into work out music.

With all that said, FHSC does everything I need an album to do while staying relentlessly banging. It takes a lot of care to pull something like that off. Yes FanDam is on that level but I love that El took it to the next level with ISWYD. I'm glad RTJ happened. I'm glad he got it out of his system. Hopefully he'll get super sad and sappy next. I'm a marshmallow.
Post Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:08 pm
Limbs

And on that note, anyone else mighty curious what B and Sage have brewing? I'm a super fan and pay close attention. I have a feeling we're gonna get punched in the face soon. I'm pumped. Working Man is creeping it's way back in my head. I love it it's just tough competing with Kendrick and the weather.
Post Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:22 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

any of you check out illogic and blockhead - capture the sun?

great stuff
Post Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:33 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4