Search
Register
Big Sean, Kendrick Lamar, & Jay Electronica song Control
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

tommi teardrop

Yeah nas never got better, and as much as I like the takeover, it did not make me think that jay-z was hungry or could rap his ass off and it did nothing to raise the bar in rap music.

This kendrick verse comes on a throwaway Big Sean song. It's not even a proper album cut. And it has the whole community talking. So it's cool that you are going against the grain and all, but it is a big deal as evidenced by the reaction it is getting.
Post Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:26 pm
Prontoid

futuristxen wrote:
Limbs wrote:
I don't think he was listing "legends". He was listing his contemporaries. His immediate "competition". Why would he say he's trying to murder Kool G Rap?

I believe you will find two lists in the song. And that one list is more applicable to what I said than the one you chose.

I'm just saying its weird to hear Andre 3000. Eminem. And jay-z as legends. It speaks to the fact Kendrick is a little younger than me.

Its like rappers who mystify bone thugs and harmony.

So surreal.

How ludicrous, of course Jay Z, Andre 3k and Eminem are legends…they’ve all been in the game roughly 20 years and sold more records combined than hiphop as a genre had sold up until the 90’s…also during the early part of this century those three were generally considered the three best rappers alive by most...that was nearly 14 yrs ago, and they are still considered three of the best and are far more relevant today than their peers were even in the 90's...

Kendrick was born in 89 or something….alot of his fans weren’t even alive when Sourthernplayalistik or Reasonable Doubt dropped…that makes me feel old too but that’s life...
Post Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:30 pm
futuristxen

Nas did raise his game. I don't know what fantasy world you guys live in. But even wikipedia has a section on it called "Feud with Jay-Z and artistic comeback". Trust me. That happened.

Jay-Z got Nas to make a few not boring shit albums.

Kendrick Lamar might get Drake to...what? What is Drake going to do?
Post Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:11 pm
futuristxen

Prontoid wrote:
futuristxen wrote:
Limbs wrote:
I don't think he was listing "legends". He was listing his contemporaries. His immediate "competition". Why would he say he's trying to murder Kool G Rap?

I believe you will find two lists in the song. And that one list is more applicable to what I said than the one you chose.

I'm just saying its weird to hear Andre 3000. Eminem. And jay-z as legends. It speaks to the fact Kendrick is a little younger than me.

So surreal.

How ludicrous, of course Jay Z, Andre 3k and Eminem are legends…they’ve all been in the game roughly 20 years and sold more records combined than hiphop as a genre had sold up until the 90’s…also during the early part of this century those three were generally considered the three best rappers alive by most...that was nearly 14 yrs ago, and they are still considered three of the best and are far more relevant today than their peers were even in the 90's...

Hiphop is where it's at right now because those guys. If anybody needs to be called out it's those guys. Andre and Eminem for not giving a fuck. Jay-Z for being a shapeshifting Illuminati reptile.
Post Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:16 pm
Plum Puddin'

futuristxen wrote:
What is Drake going to do?

Write another letter to the ghost of Aliyah.
Post Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:23 pm
Limbs

"Artistic comeback" should probably read more like "rap beef sells". Stillmatic still ain't special and God's Son was...n't special either. I see no game raising. Neither album was any better than I Am. A few cool songs. I didn't need Wikipedia for that.

You know who got Nas to raise his game, albeit only for a song? The beasties.

Yeah drake sucks. So what?
Post Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:39 pm
Prontoid

futuristxen wrote:
Prontoid wrote:
futuristxen wrote:
Limbs wrote:

So surreal.

Hiphop is where it's at right now because those guys. If anybody needs to be called out it's those guys. Andre and Eminem for not giving a fuck. Jay-Z for being a shapeshifting Illuminati reptile.

If it wasn't for those guys and a few others maintaining some iota of lyricism and respect for their craft, hiphop would be in a much more terrible place in 2013...
Post Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:04 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

why does everyone put andre in that list , is what i dont understand
Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:08 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Neuro wrote:

I kinda hate that I'm in the same camp as you considering how often you post about music I despise. Hahahaa (no disrespeck.) But...yeah. I don't why he's always included in the upper echelon list of emcees either. I've voiced this opinion to close friends of mine who openly and happily judge me fort this apparent blasphemy.
Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:15 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

he doesnt even have a proper solo album and i dont consider the love below anything to go by

and even if people say this based off his outkast raps, i still dont understand
Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:37 am
tommi teardrop

I guess if I heard there was a new verse from Andre, nas, eminem or jay-z, I would be most excited to hear andre's. His voice is probably the best and I would say out of those guys he has said more meaningful shit and done so on far better songs.

He hasn't rapped all that much for the last 10 years, but still, I think out of the people that others list as the best, he at least hasn't become totally uninteresting to me.

Then again I don't put any of those guys on my favorites list. But outkast's first 3 records hold up better than pretty much anything so I guess Andre deserves some credit.

But I'd rather listen to kendrick, starlito, z-ro, killa kyleon or earl than any of those dudes.
Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:43 am
Prontoid

Neuro wrote:

Because the first three Outkast albums are absolute classics...and Andre rapped about as good as anyone ever on Stankonia

Of course, the Andre mythology has been massively helped by the fact the dude has put out very limited raps since Stankonia...he kind of killed it on that record, dropped the mic and was out...he George Coztanza'd rapping...
Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:30 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

hes good dont get me wrong, but one of the best ever? and to always be mentioned in that list of the "greatest"

nope, sorry
Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:38 am
Prontoid

It surprises me Scarface doesn't roll of people's tongues more than Andre's but then again I don't know how official all these lists are...
Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:49 am
futuristxen

Limbs wrote:
"Artistic comeback" should probably read more like "rap beef sells". Stillmatic still ain't special and God's Son was...n't special either. I see no game raising. Neither album was any better than I Am. A few cool songs. I didn't need Wikipedia for that.

You know who got Nas to raise his game, albeit only for a song? The beasties.

Irrespective of your personal opinions, most viewed Stillmatic and God's Son as a return to form from a dude who was languishing.

Quote:

Yeah drake sucks. So what?

Yeah that's kind of my point. He might as well have listed Miley Cyrus.
Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:23 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next