Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

what do you all think about the Harry Potter movies, ive never seen any of them
Post Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:36 am
smake

Neuro wrote:
what do you all think about the Harry Potter movies, ive never seen any of them

I've always enjoyed them, especially after reading the books. The third one is considered the best of the bunch, and has a more darker tone to it (especially compared to the first two).

I do recommend reading the books first. The later movies leave out a lot of detail and important background stories that the last three movies (about books six and seven) baffled me a bit. I don't know how people can get a coherent story from it without knowing all the things they left out.

That said, they are fun to watch and I do believe they have captured the books really well.
Post Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:51 am
Limbs

Gravity is fantastic. A little corny but fantastic all the same.
Post Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:30 pm
Captiv8

Really loved the reboot of Evil Dead. There were a ton of homages to the original throughout, the level of gore was amazing, and many of the scenes were really nicely done. What I could not tolerate, however, was the *SPOILER ALERT* gender switching of Ash. Say what? How do you turn one of the most iconic horror movie heroes into a woman? Total shit, despite an awesome chainsaw slaying.

Also watched The Conjuring and the latest Texas Chainsaw over the weekend in the spirit of Halloween. I thought the former was really well done, but not nearly as scary as everyone was making it out to be. The reboot of Amityville Horror with Ryan Reynolds (which also involved the Warrens) was much more tense, in my opinion. Texas Chainsaw was crap, and I lost interest about halfway through. That said, I did like the idea behind the storyline, that of finally concluding the old shit in Texas and bringing things into the modern day. It was nice to see how the "tradition" might be carried on as well. But it was all poorly executed, with really wooden acting, despite a gem of a performance by Trey Songz.
Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:06 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Captiv8 wrote:
Really loved the reboot of Evil Dead. There were a ton of homages to the original throughout, the level of gore was amazing, and many of the scenes were really nicely done. What I could not tolerate, however, was the *SPOILER ALERT* gender switching of Ash. Say what? How do you turn one of the most iconic horror movie heroes into a woman? Total shit, despite an awesome chainsaw slaying.

she is not ash,and i thought she is fucking awesomely great in the movie, even though this movie is a "remake" its very much a brand new edition to continue the series too, theres going to be a new evil dead 2 and i guess rami is set to work on army of darkness 2 and bring bruce back, and then i heard some weird rumor that both the old series and this new series will merge somehow
Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:16 am
Captiv8

Neuro wrote:
Captiv8 wrote:

she is not ash,and i thought she is fucking awesomely great in the movie, even though this movie is a "remake" its very much a brand new edition to continue the series too, theres going to be a new evil dead 2 and i guess rami is set to work on army of darkness 2 and bring bruce back, and then i heard some weird rumor that both the old series and this new series will merge somehow

I know she is not Ash. However, she clearly represents the corresponding Ash-like figure as the lone survivor. Why do you think they had a scene where she chops off her hand and then utilizes a chainsaw? No remake should ever so drastically edit the original material. When you think of Evil Dead you immediately think of everything awesome about Bruce Campbell. You don't think of a sniveling druggie chick. And you certainly don't conflate the tree rape scene with the role of protagonist, which is a severe revision of the original story. Because they didn't have an Ash in this version, they had to do weird things with the story that strayed too far. My question is why? Why not have another male Ash? Why not have the brother, who cheesily and unnecessarily sacrifices himself, be Ash? Because the writers were trying to add emotional depth to the story. That's rarely necessary in a genre developed on gratuitous nudity, cheap thrills, cheesy dialogue, and gore.
Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:09 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

because people were Expecting an "ash" and they simply cannot top bruce campbell thats why they strayed away from doing that entirely, i honestly think the movie would be shit if they tried to do that, im glad they didnt try to make another ash and went with something new and fresh and its a nice lil twist as well, as i said its very much a New evil dead and not just a remake, they will continue this story,and i think that chick is a total badass of a character
Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:17 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

good interview with bruce

http://youtu.be/rkR3kr9F13w
Post Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:17 pm
Captiv8

Zombie Lake was so atrociously bad it was amazing. More gratuitous nudity than the opening credits of Carrie? Check. Terrible and totally unnecessary dubbing since there were still subtitles? Check. Incredibly bad makeup and costuming? Super check. The literally undying love of a zombie Nazi father for his precocious daughter? Check. Some of the most underwhelming death scenes in horror movie history? Absolutely check. Come to think of it, there's really nothing redeeming about this movie at all.
Post Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:44 am
AdamBomb

If you have netflix, watch this movie for sure. Doesn't matter what type of music you like....probably the best music doc I have seen.

Post Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:56 pm
mancabbage

Gravity is incredible, saw it in 3d at imax and its the only movie i can't imagine being any way near as good in 2d, amazing use of the technology.... and the direction, damn... the camera doesn't cut once for what felt like the first 45 mins, i have no idea how they pulled it off but its amazing.

gotta say tho, sandra bullock was an odd casting.. i wonder how she ended up in the movie, she was ok but i felt that someone with better acting chops could have made that role pretty special being onscreen nearly the entire film.... sandra just didn't sell it to me. personally, if i was go left field w the castinglike that, i'd have shot for helen mirren as an older scientist at the end of her career, the woman is a god of acting and could have pulled off the fragility of the role a lot better than bullock i reckon
Post Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:58 pm
Captiv8

I haven't seen Gravity yet, but I also that Bullock was a strange choice, given her propensity for rom-coms and other dreck. I would have gone with Jessica Chastain, Vera Fermiga, or even Rachel Weisz. They all have way more acting skill than Bullock, and I respect their work a lot more. That said, it seems like the movie is awesome from everything I've heard, and I'm looking forward to checking it out.
Post Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:25 am
mancabbage

apparently jolie was originally meant to do it, bet she's kicking herself now, she missed a golden opportunity to shine in that role.

I looked it up on imdb and there were a lot of (probably better) names attached to it, seems bullock was quite low down the choice list.

Weird, i wonder why... cauron is good mates with j cameron and children of men was pretty highly regarded, so its not like he doesn't have any clout behind him
Post Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:57 pm
Captiv8

Beasts of the Southern Wild was a phemonally well-shot and emotionally-driven movie. I was rapt from start to finish, mesmerized with the solemnity of the little child actress, the culture of the Bathtub, and the sincerity of the story. This is definitely one of the best indie films released in the past decade, and it deserved all the accolades it received. Be prepared to cry at the end... unless you're a heartless bastard.
Post Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:23 pm
Captiv8

VHS 2 was pretty slick. I didn't really care for the first segment, but the interesting POV with the zombie episode was fantastic, as was the ending. I really enjoyed the Borneo death cult one too, and thought that was really well done. But the gem of the lot was the alien slumber party. I nearly wept at the end, but I was on the edge of my seat throughout. I thought that all episodes were really creatively done, and that overall this was a step up from the first VHS.

Also watched Maniac. I thought the cinematography was really superb. Some of the plot was crap (really, no one is around the subway or the carpark?), but overall it was nicely done. Thought Elijah Wood was an interesting casting decision. Obviously there was the value of name recognition, but I don't believe in Wood's acting. I thought somebody else far less recognizable would have been more effective in this role. Anyway, it was an interesting flick with a sweet soundtrack.
Post Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:14 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next