Search
Register
Movies, Movies, Movies
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

mancabbage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD5oMxbMcHM

saw this last night. was jaw droopingly good.

(can't embed anymore youtube nicked the old code option)
Post Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:04 am
Captiv8

Goddamn if that doesn't look super depressing and chilling.
Post Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:49 pm
mancabbage

im not sure it is, there's never any graphic violence..in fact a lot of really nicely shot footage.. its more, unsettling.

Puts a human face on war crimes and makes it pretty obv its not as simple as 'that guy is evil'.. one character - anwar, who killed 1000's, comes across as a nice chap who you'd have a beer with, it makes you check yourself a bit. Cant stop thinking about it tbh
Post Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:44 pm
Captiv8

Was not impressed by American Hustle. I had really high hopes for it, liking all the actors involved, and having enjoyed David O. Russell's previous film, Silver Linings Playbook. Here, Hustle was all about interspersing quiet, character-developing moments with bombast and showmanship. This was fine for a while, but the movie took forever to get going. By the time the plot actually developed, and I really started to care, was about 1:45 with about a half hour to go. The plot was just far too plodding, which I think was a big mistake. At least 20 minutes could have been cut from this bad boy. It didn't help that Silver Linings Playbook was waaaaaaay better.
Post Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:52 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

i watched that old man sheriff arnold movie the Last Stand, on netflix, and it was highly entertaining
Post Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:44 am
Captiv8

Neuro wrote:
i watched that old man sheriff arnold movie the Last Stand, on netflix, and it was highly entertaining

That's good to know. I like to have a movie on in the background while I'm doing school work, and this seems like an ideal candidate.
Post Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:41 am
Brynjar

Captiv8 wrote:
Was not impressed by American Hustle. I had really high hopes for it, liking all the actors involved, and having enjoyed David O. Russell's previous film, Silver Linings Playbook. Here, Hustle was all about interspersing quiet, character-developing moments with bombast and showmanship. This was fine for a while, but the movie took forever to get going. By the time the plot actually developed, and I really started to care, was about 1:45 with about a half hour to go. The plot was just far too plodding, which I think was a big mistake. At least 20 minutes could have been cut from this bad boy. It didn't help that Silver Linings Playbook was waaaaaaay better.

Agreed

Also having so much VO narration makes me think that the first cut was at least 3 hours.
Post Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:54 pm
Captiv8

I didn't mind the voiceover stuff, but you're probably right. I shudder to think what the three-hour version of American Hustle was like. I'm really shocked it made it past the studio at the length with that pacing though. If you're going to put out a 2 hour and 20 minute film it needs to be engaging and compelling a good deal of the the time to keep the audience from fidgeting.

American Hustle wasn't this bad, but The Heat really sucked. I rented it on the strenght of McCarthy's Bridesmaids performance and was severely let down. Aside from the very occasional chuckle, it wasn't funny. It wasn't enjoyable. Instead of watching the ending I took my dog for a walk in a blizzard. That's how little I cared. I'm not a big Sandra Bullock fan (except for Speed, which was a masterpiece), and she didn't bring me into her camp with this performance either, which was so predictable and lazy. McCarthy, to her credit, gave it her all, but it still felt like profanity was the basis for humor 95% of the film. Like hearing the word "fuck" so many times will eventually make the audience laugh out of being uncomfortable. I really liked Bridesmaids too, so this stinker was a bit surprising. Ah well.
Post Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:27 am
mancabbage

All is lost was great, get the blu ray 1080p bad boy on that one, some great cinematography
Post Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:34 am
xGasPricesx

I can't remember if this has been talked about on here or not yet, but "You're Next" was actually a really solid flick. It's in a similar vein as Cabin in the Woods and Scream, closer to Scream than CitW, but still less meta than both. It does start out as a decent, yet mostly average, home invasion thriller. And then, someone in the house decides to fight back, and that's when things really get good. I won't say anything else about it cause I don't want to spoil anything, but I definitely recommend checking out.
Post Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:53 pm
xGasPricesx

The Lego Movie was seriously awesome. I know a lot of people think it seems like it would just be a 90 minute Lego ad, but it's so much more than that. Lego was in a very unique position as well with all the different creative rights they own to so many franchises, and they used that advantage so well in the film, especially amongst the DC superheroes they have. The joke to minute ratio is huge, and none of them feel hamfisted in at all, and I imagine there are many that I even missed the first time around. Also really curious to see it again, and I won't spoil anything, but I think having already seen the movie once, it will make the second viewing a totally different experience.

It was made by the guys that did 'Clone High', 'Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs' and the '21 Jump Street' movie. So the pedigree is definitely there as well, plus name your favorite comedy actor/actress and they are most likely voicing one of the characters in this movie. Can't recommend it enough, and I already want to see it again.

AND it holds a 96% on Rotten Tomatoes out of 158 reviews.

Edit: Oh, and Nick Offerman voices a mecha pirate named "Metal Beard" who is made up of various robot pieces, and also has a cannon for one arm and an attack shark for another arm. If that alone doesn't sell you, then you are just a horrible person.
Post Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:30 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

the new Robocop is awesome!
Post Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:57 pm
Plum Puddin'

Does it still have the scene when he shoots the guy in the dick?
Post Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:42 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

its all new for the most part
Post Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:50 pm
Plum Puddin'

So, no then.
Post Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:53 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next