Search
Register
new atmosphere song!
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

xGasPricesx

Loving the album so far, 'Arthur's Song' and 'Flicker' are two of my personal favorites at the moment. The whole verse on Flicker towards the end with the "You'd ridicule these lyrics, you'd hate this chorus, and probably tell me the concept is too straight forward" makes me cry and laugh at the same time. The whole song also reminds me a lot of a friend of mine who also died of a heroin overdose 10 years ago, we had actually started to drift away from each other for awhile before that and he had called me the night before he OD'd and I didn't answer cause I was tired and "didn't want to listen to his high ramblings", I still regret that to this day. I always wonder if there was something I could have done to change things, although I know that's a good way to drive yourself crazy, especially because he was the first in a long line of friends who died the same way over the next 10 years. Such a shame.

Anyways, the album is great, can't tell if I like it more than Family Sign yet or not, but it's definitely up there. It's crazy to me how much I have grown with Atmosphere (and Sage), I've had so many musical obsessions over the years but I usually grow apart from the artists over 3-4 years. With Atmos and Sage, I've been listening to them for a decade plus and still love their whole discographies. Not to mention the fact that I've kind of grown up parallel to their songs, each album is pretty reflective of what's going on in my life at that time, as much as it can given the fact that I'm like 15 years younger than they are.
Post Fri May 09, 2014 6:38 pm
mancabbage

Way better than the family sign for me.. after the dust settled family sign ended up my least fav atmosphere record, i don't go back to it often

I can't get enough of this new one tho, I've been trying not to play it too much now as i don't want to kill it... since i got it I've had it on all day at work, headphones to gym, headphones back, then i start playing it again soon as i get in. Not a single track i skip, i really like every beat on here, lyrics are awesome and unraveling over time nicely. I missed these guys more than I realised, got me excited to hear the new sage record
Post Fri May 09, 2014 7:29 pm
DeadAwake

xGasPricesx wrote:
Loving the album so far, 'Arthur's Song' and 'Flicker' are two of my personal favorites at the moment. The whole verse on Flicker towards the end with the "You'd ridicule these lyrics, you'd hate this chorus, and probably tell me the concept is too straight forward" makes me cry and laugh at the same time. The whole song also reminds me a lot of a friend of mine who also died of a heroin overdose 10 years ago, we had actually started to drift away from each other for awhile before that and he had called me the night before he OD'd and I didn't answer cause I was tired and "didn't want to listen to his high ramblings", I still regret that to this day. I always wonder if there was something I could have done to change things, although I know that's a good way to drive yourself crazy, especially because he was the first in a long line of friends who died the same way over the next 10 years. Such a shame.

This is first time that its confirmed for me that it was heroin overdose, though i was pretty sure thats what it was. I used to know some one on methadone who still used the junk at least weekly (whenever he wasnt broke). He actually reminded me of Mikey, appearance wise only, eyes/hair/complexion/build. I cant really say about character cause i didnt know either of them. Kind of weird though, the resemblance and the presence of the same substance.

I knew i was pretty powerless to do anything about it and i guess his family and close friends, the most likely people to intervene, probably felt powerless too.
Post Mon May 12, 2014 8:00 pm
xGasPricesx

DeadAwake wrote:

This is first time that its confirmed for me that it was heroin overdose, though i was pretty sure thats what it was. I used to know some one on methadone who still used the junk at least weekly (whenever he wasnt broke). He actually reminded me of Mikey, appearance wise only, eyes/hair/complexion/build. I cant really say about character cause i didnt know either of them. Kind of weird though, the resemblance and the presence of the same substance.

I knew i was pretty powerless to do anything about it and i guess his family and close friends, the most likely people to intervene, probably felt powerless too.

I could actually be wrong about the heroin thing, I did a cursory Google search after reading your comment and the only sources I came across said it was an "accidental opiate overdose" and even those didn't seem to be 100% legitimate. Personally, I feel that unless you are using pain killers for good reason and as prescribed by a doctor, then opiate use is opiate use regardless of whether it's percocet or heroin. Unfortunately a much bigger stigma is attached to the latter than the former though, which has caused many people I know to think that pain pills are much "safer", and while they are to a small extent, that extra level of comfort people develop about them make them all the more dangerous in how people use those drugs.

It really is a sad thing though, when I was in middle school/early high school years, heroin was pretty big around my town (which is relatively small with only a few thousand people), and then my good friend died and it was kind of a shock for everyone, it was the first time in a long time anyone had died from an overdose around here. Heroin faded away, a lot of people got clean, and then a couple years later instant release 30 mg percocets came around, often referred to as "blues" cause the pills are blue. That shit swept through like a hurricane, a lot of people who would never had touched heroin started fucking with those cause they thought it was "safe". Flash forward a year or two and now many of those people are addicted to heroin cause they couldn't afford their pill habit anymore, as pills are much more expensive than heroin. This isn't just in my area either, it's been a growing problem in this country for the past 15+ years, it's just now that people are really starting to pay attention as the overdose rate continues to increase.

The good news here is that we now have new and better drugs to help curb opiate addiction, namely Suboxone/Subutex. These drugs are better than methadone in that they actually block the opiate receptors in the brain for 24 hours, so after taking them, even if the person tries to use they can't really get high. The problem with these still is that people get the same withdrawals after stopping these drugs that they do with all other opiates, only the withdrawals last even longer, they can last up to a month in some cases as opposed to a week or two that it would be with heroin or prescription pain pills. This wouldn't be as big of a problem if they were being used properly, but a combination of factors including the difficulty of obtaining them from a doctor, the cost, and the lack of knowledge about these drugs often has them being misused. People either get stuck on these drugs for a very long period of time, or try to come off, experience heavy withdrawals and end up going back to heroin or oxy or whatever.

Sorry for the long rant there, especially since this thread was supposed to be about Atmosphere's new album, which I am still loving. But this is an issue that is very close to me, and have seen so many people I care for end up falling down this hole. It's been eating away at me for a decade plus now, and I just felt the need to vent about it a little while hopefully providing at least a little information about it to those who may not be familiar with it.
Post Tue May 13, 2014 6:02 pm
Juan
girls don juan anything to do with me

Pain pills are a bit safer than heroin simply because you don't always know what's in the heroin. People can cut it with anything. What gets people is when you've been doing the same kind of heroin for months or years, then suddenly someone decides to cut it with Fentanyl or something else to make it much "better" or potent. Then suddenly those 3 packs a day you've been averaging become lethal. And while pills can be just as deadly, atleast you know what you're taking beforehand. All it takes is for somebody to make too good of a batch and suddenly 20-30 people in a small town drop dead because they don't know what they are getting themselves into =/

One of my closest friends from college died a few years ago from wearing a fentanyl patch and drinking alcohol. I can't listen to Flicker now without sobbing. His body was also found by his mother, and we had grown a little distant. Social media also makes death that much harder. It breaks my heart watching his mom post on his wall on birthdays or other events
Post Tue May 13, 2014 6:36 pm
xGasPricesx

Yeah, I definitely agree about the knowing what exactly is in them and what dosage you are getting. I think when I talk about this stuff I err more on the side of relating the two more directly because a lot of people seem to think that pills are much less addictive and that they are more "socially acceptable". I know heroin is much more unpredictable, but at the same time, I think the confidence people have in prescription meds raises the danger level of those considerably.

This is all just personal, anecdotal experience, but I have known many people who think they are safe when taking pills, almost like they can't OD, even if deep down they know they can, there's another part of them reassuring themselves that it's fine, just don't take too many and it will all be okay. That is actually true for the most part, freak accidents can happen where what was okay for the body one day all of a sudden isn't the next day, but it really becomes a problem when they continue to take those pills cause they feel they are "safe" and then build up their tolerance to a point where they can no longer maintain their habit with pills, and either have to quit altogether or move to heroin. Too many people end up in the latter camp, cause addiction is a crazy fucking thing and people aren't often in the right head space to quit when they get to that point.

Fentanyl is a real motherfucker too, it seems it is often involved with opiate OD's. Whether the person was using the patch (in whatever manner they use it in, known a lot of people who IV those things, even the newer ones which were supposed to make it so people couldn't IV them) or just a batch of heroin that got cut with some Fent. Real dangerous shit right there, and so potent that we are talking about micrograms of the stuff that can make the difference between life and death, fucking micrograms.

Also, as for losing your friend to it, you have my deepest condolences, I know first hand how hard that can be. Especially in a situation like yours where you had drifted away from the person and are sometimes left to wonder if there was something, anything, that you could have done. The best advice I can offer there is to try and not beat yourself up about it, even though that can be extremely difficult, but it just doesn't do anybody any good.

I've had so many sleepless nights laying awake and thinking about that very thing, all the people I've lost and if I had answered that one phone call, or was more persistent in helping them get help, or whatever the fuck. Wondering if any of those things could have saved them, but the cold truth is that it's too late now, and dwelling on those instances won't bring them back. The best I can do now is be there for other friends who fall into that hole, as much as they will let me and I can possibly handle. Doing that isn't for everyone, it's hard and is guaranteed to get your heart broken more than once. But it's still easier for me than going to another fucking funeral over this shit, and having to see their family, many of whom were like a second families to me, fall apart over the death of their beloved child.

To bring this thread back around to it's initial topic though, as I touched on a couple posts ago, as hard as Flicker can be to listen to at times, it's a song I really needed. One of the few songs that can make me laugh and cry at the same time. I've already listened to it at least 20 times over the past week, and it continues to hit me like a ton of bricks each time, but it also provides me with some release. Release which I've needed and have been looking for for quite some time now. I thank Atmosphere for that, I only wish that the impetus for writing such a track wasn't the loss of such a beloved emcee and friend to what seems like a whole lot of people that I admire.

Edit: Sage's 'Going Back to Rehab' has a very similar effect on me. I remember one day in particular when I pretty much listened to that song on repeat for a couple hours while chain smoking cigarettes, and while I'm a smoker, I never chain smoke, even when I'm drunk.

Last edited by xGasPricesx on Wed May 14, 2014 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue May 13, 2014 7:21 pm
Juan
girls don juan anything to do with me

I definitely agree, I'm glad the song was made.

As far as beating myself up, I did early on, but deep down I know there's nothing I could have done. The thing I beat myself up more for is just the distance and the fact that we didn't talk more.

I haven't really had to experience very much loss in my life. Before this happened I never thought about death. Now I think about death regularly. Not in some morbid way, but..a healthy way? However you want to put it. Its a sad learning experience.
Post Tue May 13, 2014 7:45 pm
Bring that Beat Back

I heart Star Shaped Heart.
Post Thu May 15, 2014 9:15 pm
Captiv8

Let's be real: the beat for Arthur's Song is the best on the album, bar none. Rarely do you find a combination of something so emotive and head-noddable at the same time. The whole track is dynamite from start to finish, and I consistently return to this absolute jam more than any other. Goddamn. I'm truly in awe of how good it is.

At any rate, this is an album that really grows on you with repeated listens. Songs that didn't really stick out to me on the first or second listen sounded really good, for whatever reason, the third and fourth time around. Layers, boo. Layers.
Post Fri May 16, 2014 3:31 pm
xGasPricesx

Captiv8 wrote:
Let's be real: the beat for Arthur's Song is the best on the album, bar none. Rarely do you find a combination of something so emotive and head-noddable at the same time. The whole track is dynamite from start to finish, and I consistently return to this absolute jam more than any other. Goddamn. I'm truly in awe of how good it is.

Yes. Such an amazing track. I really can't get over it, it's just so fucking good. Some of the lines in that song are amazing as well, I really get a kick out of, 'With all due respect to my liver, we're trying to get as high as the Little Dipper."
Post Fri May 16, 2014 4:19 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

southsiders title track, not the remix, BDP style BANGER

arthurs song- reminds me of a present day lucyford type vibe kinda sorta

AND

i dont need no fancy shit

my current favorite tracks

but yeah, whole album is marinating nicely
Post Fri May 16, 2014 9:33 pm
Limbs

Really really enjoying this. First atmos album ever that totally snuck up on me. I feel almost bad about that. Like I'm not sure who's fault it is (sage's I'm sure) so it's a weird bittersweet listen.

How's about my lady got two lovers? That's a good one. I like it a lot. I like how the album raps up. I like the extra tracks but still fuck extra tracks.
Post Sat May 17, 2014 2:33 pm
Limbs

And! And I love you like a brother. That one gets me.

Really every cut is hot. Except for when the world won't die tonight. There's always one.
Post Sat May 17, 2014 2:36 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Limbs wrote:
And! And I love you like a brother. That one gets me.

yeah thats another favorite right now too
Post Sun May 18, 2014 11:34 am
Limbs

I don't know who's better in the world at taking absurdly complicated things and making them simple.

Really, for all the smarty pants rappers I love I don't think anyone can make me feel dumber (in the best of ways) than slug. The big brother of rap. How the fuck didn't I see that?
Post Sun May 18, 2014 3:30 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7