Search
Register
The Fat Boys appreciation thread
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

sneeeeb
COCKRING WRAITH

The Fat Boys appreciation thread  Reply with quote  

The Fat Boys don't get enough credit for what they did. I was a seven year-old kid, still kind of intimidated by Kool Moe Dee's sunglasses to properly develop a young appreciation of rap music. Then I see the approachable Fat Boys and something in my young mind imprinted a life-long love for this music.

I can't be alone. I know most of you were probably born into a world where rap music or hiphop already existed, but I was right there on the cusp when the thing broke into the mainstream -- and it wasn't, at the time, a foregone conclusion that this music was culturally acceptable on a mass scale-- and although it would have ultimately succeeded either way, what the Fat Boys did to entertain my mind and what I assume are the minds of a million other little wienerboys HAD to have sped the process up at least by 20%. What the Fat Boys did was ease a bunch of little nerds like me from the suburbs of the midwest into what would be a life-long love of the form of music.

Can you not feel this?

<object><param><param><param></object><br>View on YouTube

Remember when they put out that Freddy Krueger shit? It might be corny in hindsight, but I was like nine years old when that came out and the fact that the Fat Boys were down with that crazy freak was the tits of the world back then. If Freddy didn't kill those dudes, there must be something to this crazy music, you know?
Post Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:17 am
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

I was 8 years old when Crushin' came out..
...and i got the tape for christmas that year

I absolutely loved rapping along with Protect Yourself/My Nuts...
I didn't know anything about sex or condoms at that age, but raps about balls were really funny to me....

I went for a run
With who?....
My nuts
All around the block
Took no short cuts
Ran all the way home
Busted down the door
And my nuts were draggin' all over the floor
Now, don't go thinkin' my nuts are sore
They got my back when I go off
They're in my corner
..when times are rough
And if you're in a jam, I'll let you hold...
My NUTS!

♫♫ doot doo doo doot ♫♫
Post Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:13 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

the song with freddy krueger is a halloween tradition for me
Post Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:01 pm
sneeeeb
COCKRING WRAITH

The lack of participation in this thread is bullshit to me
Post Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:03 am
Limbs

I had ice-t's I must stand in my Walkmen at 12-13. Intimidating black men sped my love up for rap. I rarely if ever knew what they were talking about but THEY knew what they were talking about. It was this very intimate thing because I had to sneak it. I loved the beastie boys and stuff too but I was allowed to listen to them so the impact was watered down.

That said I think I was just a little too young for the fat boys and never bothered going back for them much.
Post Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:02 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I must say, they're one of the groups from the 80's whose music really hasn't held up to me. I revisited their music recently and wasn't saddened by the fact that I couldn't enjoy it. Their best songs kind of feel like they were made for children. Like a lot of the groups I fell in love with in the 80's...when I was a kid. So maybe this is just a psychological glitch that I can't shake.
Post Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:37 pm
sneeeeb
COCKRING WRAITH

On some level, you could probably make that argument for a lot of the earlier rap stuff, at least as far as the rhyme schemes go. What I am getting at more than anything here, is how tailor made the Fat Boys were FOR kids like us. I think they deserve more credit than they get for massaging fearful suburban youths into this type of music at a very young age. I remember seeing Kool Moe Dee at the age of 6 and thinking, "This guy seems pretty tough, I don't know about this, I'm six." you know? I was kind of a pussy, but still... the Fat Boys were as perfect of an introduction that could have possibly been made for me at that age.

This is a very specific thing for a very specific age group and demographic (six year-old pussies from the suburbs who were born between 1976-1981), though... I'm realizing that now as I type this.
Post Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:07 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

It's kind of crazy that you just mentioned Kool Moe Dee, because I was going to lump him into my last post. Part of why all of their music feels so stale and dated is the lazy production. It just seemed like assembly line style beats. Imagine if he had a great producer behind him when he was trading lyrical jabs with LL? That would have made things a LOT more interesting. Kool Moe Dee was one of the best emcees of his time, but his style didn't transcend his era as much as it kind of put it to bed.
Post Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:24 pm
sneeeeb
COCKRING WRAITH

Yeah, but it's the same thing as listening to oldies (or golden oldies now? I fucking heard a radio show call 70's music oldies, for fucks sake. I have to say golden oldies now like some piece of shit?). I feel like you are luring me into being a pedantic fuck, but they were still figuring that shit out, so you have to cut em some slack.

Do you understand what I mean, professional rapper who knows infinitely more about this music than me? You have to cut them some frickin slack!

Post Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:43 pm
Marcus Forealius

I can't hear that Buddy Holly song without thinking of Stand by Me.

Remember that time the Fat Boys jammed out with Chubby Checker?

Post Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:07 am
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

There is a local Detroit radio station.
"Oldies 104.3 WOMC".

When I was a teen, ('93-'00), they played only really old shit....
.....like Motown, pop Beatles, Jackson 5, Elvis and Everly Bros.
Now they play the Police, Blondie and Bad era Michael Jackson.
And most Phil Collins.

It makes me feel old.

There's also another station. 105.9 THE 'D'.
Their tag is "Classic rock for the new generation."

And they play a lot of 80s shit....
Mixed in with Green Day, Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden.

That also makes me feel old.
Post Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:11 pm

Jump to: