Search
Register
smoking laws
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

quasifoto

smoking laws  Reply with quote  

what does everyone think about smoking and the law? cigarettes. should they stay legal? post people.

this is an blatant attemp to get people talking.
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 2:42 pm
MessiahCarey

Re: smoking laws  Reply with quote  

quasifoto wrote:
what does everyone think about smoking and the law? cigarettes. should they stay legal? post people.

this is an blatant attemp to get people talking.

I hate cigarettes with a passion (Dad died from lung cancer scenario).

I think that people who smoke should be personally responsible for how their smoking affects other people (i.e. go in a different room to have a cigarrette if you're with a non-smoker, don't smoke while I'm eating, that sort of shit).

That said, we don't need any more laws, so my answer is yes - they should stay legal. I beleive if someone wants to smoke, they should be able to.

Peace,
Shane

PostScript: I overuse parenthetical expressions.
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:48 pm
ekul

.  Reply with quote  

i agree with messiah about the freedom to smoke.

the laws are fine with me, but there is one thing that drives me up the wall when it comes to smoking at certain facilities. i know places where you have to be 20 feet away from the building in order to smoke. i think that's pushing it.

on a side note, i believe "smoking addictions" was a concept started by tobbaco company's to get people to foolishly continue smoking. i mean, i know people who smoked for years and quite cold turkey; they never smoked again. we don't need to smoke like we need food or water. heh.

peace,
luke

p.s. i don't like my new name, it's not one bit creative. i think i'm changing it back to my old name.
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 4:15 pm
Jesse

Substance usage issues are where my social libertarianism clashes most obviously with my economic leftiness. I don't see smoking in most instances as a moral issue, but I definitely do see the production and sale of tobacco as one. I'd really most prefer to see it stemmed at the source, rather than penalizing the end users. Obviously, the things I like best are the least economically stimulating. That's kind of a shame, because it means I may as well fly a kite.

I hate tobacco for a similar reason to Shane's, incidentally.
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 4:36 pm
the incredible ticktalk

i smoke too much. but smoking will always be around, weather it's cigarettes, magic tobacco, or crack. no law can change that, plus think about how much money the cigarette companies rake in each year, govt. loves that shit, weather they admit, or act like it, they do.

public enemy is my choice of voice whilst living in this corporate slave state

chaching

"welcome to death row"-dr. dre

hahahaha ok i'm just wasting space now....
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 5:39 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
quasifoto

smoking  Reply with quote  

so here's my angle of how i feel. i don't think it should be anyone's right to smoke if it affects others. if people want to choose to smoke that's fine, but i wish there was something to stop them from being able to smoke around me. i full time assist for a photographer and he smokes like crazy. nothing i can do, i've tried to help him quit, shit so has everyone. he's the best in albany so i'm learing a ton from him and getting introduced to others, but being exposed to the smoke is killing me. and staying with him will be my best career move by far. so i gotta think if it was illegal (not that it ever will be!) it would benefit all the second hand effects. and why should something be legal if it harms others? not to mention all the industry bs. well i guess that's mentioning it. too many people i'm really close to smoke and it just sucks, from my side, a second hand smoker. ughh
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:02 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

I smoke.

But I do it responsibly.

My fiancee is allergic to cig smoke. If we go to a concert, she's got to take an antihistimine or two just to watch the show. Her eyes puff up and water and her nose runs.

So, I've never smoked inside our condo. I always go on the porch, even if it's 20 degrees below zero.

If I go to shows by myself and somebody asks me to put it out, or they're waving the smoke away with their hand, I put it out. I try to stand near other smokers, too.

I'm not one of the holier-than-thou "It's MY RIGHT TO SMOKE!" smokers. I know it bothers people, and I try my best to make sure I don't bother people with it.

As for the laws, it'll never be outlawed. Too much tobacco money in politics. Same with oil. If Al Gore was elected, by the end of his term, he would've been assassinated, just for the sake of him trying to make all cars more economic. Way too much money in oil, too. These billionares need more billions.
Post Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:32 am
Reggie

I don't know about smoking, but I think ugly people should not be allowed near me. Especially when I am eating.

PS: Everyone is ugly.
Post Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:37 am
infidelone
CAVE TROLL

I smoked for 14 years before finally quiting 7 months ago. I tried to quit seriously 7-8 times prior to this attempt. I still crave cigarettes in a physical way on a regular basis.(by physical I mean my mouth begins to water and i get anxious and tense)

Whoever said that the products contained in cigarettes are not really addictive is wrong.

If you are in a public place, that is not a bar or is not outside, you should always ask the people around you if they mind before you light up. If you do not, you are an asshole. Concideration for others around you is a basic social quality that many lack and unfortunally, this trait becomes a detrement to others on a larger more impersonal scale through smoking.

Honestly, I enjoy smoking cigarettes. I like just about everything about them, in the short term. If it were not for my most recent discovery of the future, through the birth of my son, I would still be a smoker.
Post Thu Jul 11, 2002 12:35 pm
tastymullet

I think what the real fucked up part is...is how shady tobacco corporations are. they put so much toxic shit in cigarettes to make them more addictive...thats the law that should be changed. not smoking around other people is just plain common courtesy. the government is raking in billions of dollars in taxes... people are killing themselves and people around them and the governments not doing anything about it... as long as they get money. i see more justification in the legalization of marijuana than i do in allowing cigarettes to be legal (but i know full well that cigarettes will never become criminalized) I used to smoke and in retrospect, i cant understand how nicotine can make you forget about all the totally bad shit that is in it and how much it completly wastes money. smoke herb - less chemicals, plus it actually gives you a high instead of just making you feel slightly relaxed and temporarily not fiend for a cigarette...fuck phillip morris and rj reynolds, leaders of the most deceptive industry i can think of.
Post Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:53 pm
shaunxcore

word  Reply with quote  

not to get all Xsalt lake cityX but fuck dude. when someone fucking smokes around me I seriously have visions of cutting their fucking face up. Shit pisses me off more then anything. Drink around me, pill around me, do what the fuck ever, as long as it doesnt effect me! but the fact that it is DEFINATELY hurting me pisses me off. and the fact that there is a social tabboo against attacking people that hurt us "by accident" is whack. If more people cut up smokers, we'd have less cancer.

(I am being partially sarcastic, but seriously mother fuckers smoking on bus's with NO SMOKING signs, need to be taught)
Post Fri Jul 12, 2002 7:02 am
Reggie

I seriously doubt that cigarette companies add anything to their cigarettes to make them more addictive. There are some checmicals that ease the absorbtion of nicotine, but even without that, nicotine would still be one of the most addictive drugs in the world.

Funny part is, at the dosage per cigarette, the nicotine might actually be helping more than hurting.
Post Fri Jul 12, 2002 7:07 am
abstractive

In Australia selling cigarettes to minors is illegal, but there's no laws saying that minors can't smoke. Is that stupid, or what?

I hate cigarette smoke.
Post Fri Jul 12, 2002 7:17 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Petrouchka Rasputin

In Halifax  Reply with quote  

There is a ban on smoking in public buildings, and that may be extended to bars and restaurants. I agree with the legislation, because while it reduces the risks of second-hand smoke, smokers are still free to smoke in most places.

abstractive - I think it's the same everywhere. Canadian provinces have only just started to make laws against youths smoking.
Post Fri Jul 12, 2002 9:08 am
infidelone
CAVE TROLL

"I seriously doubt that cigarette companies add anything to their cigarettes to make them more addictive."

I think that the chemicals they use to preserve the tobacco have an ingrediant that is addictive. Or maybe the chemicals they use as pesticides during cultivation. you are probably correct in that they do not make an obvious effort to add a "special" spray to the tobacco, that would be too easy to detect and prevent. They more than likely use a loophole, or find something they need to spray that just so happens to be addictive.

Keep in mind: the only way these companies make money is by getting people hooked and getting new customers. New customers are young people who begin to smoke. To keep them as customers, they must be addicted. It is really not so hard to believe that they would go out of their way to create loyal customers and make more money, is it?
Post Fri Jul 12, 2002 9:46 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next