Search
Register
Mulholland Drive
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

abstractive

Mulholland Drive  Reply with quote  

What does everyone think of this film? I finished watching it over 2 hours ago, but my head still hurts.
Post Fri Jul 12, 2002 5:05 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
themanifestdestiny

still  Reply with quote  

I have yet to find anyone who understands a fragment of this movie. Anyone who wants to explain will be looked at as a god by me.
Post Fri Jul 12, 2002 1:36 pm
Jocker

WELL IT CONSISTS OF THE CHARACTERS PERFORMING THE PLOT AWESOME I MIGHT SAY......
Post Fri Jul 12, 2002 1:50 pm
Beat Reporter

david lynch is pretentious and a moron, a wonderful combo  Reply with quote  

david lynch is an ass. he makes movies for the sake of being confusing, he thinks it is artsy. his films lack intelligence and are just wierd for the sake of being wierd. he may have some good ideas (see: bad acting with a purpose), but he just violates everything that is good in film, just to violate it.
Post Fri Jul 12, 2002 2:05 pm
JOEYBEATS

Hmmmmm..........  Reply with quote  

Believe me...I'm not going to sit here and act like I know what they hell David Lynch is tring to convey half the time. Personally I thought Mulholland Drive was outright shit.

For the most part though...what I got out of it was...the behind the scenes dealings that make hollywood what it is. Mullholland drive overlooks and is technically "behind" the city. The dirty bum (who represented Satan or a demon to me) was "behind" the diner. The two men telling the director who he should cast in the lead role "behind" and "away" from the sets and cameras. The main theme being pushed over and over again is that of what is going on on the mysterious exterior of hollywood.

The cowboy idea was pretty dope; it's the only part I got in the whole movie. The cowboy was obviously the main character of the western genre. If people know anything about the western they understand how the genre tries to rewrite and hide the injustices of our nation's history. Most western consisted of a white woman being kidnapped by indians and had to be saved by cowboys. Underlying message: indians are the savage bad guys we fought off. Truth: we killed them, destroyed their homes, and drove them away. The western has evolved (15 years ago) with movies like Missing in Action, where Chuck Norris had to go and recapture american POW's being held in Vietnam. Underlying message: one of our ordinary guys could go over there kick their whole army's ass. The truth: they manhandeled us and would do the same if Vietnam 2 broke out tommorow. Today the western genre can be seen in such bullshit films like Windtalkers. Underlying message: The indians are our friends, ya see, they eventually came to forgive us and serve in the US Army. The truth: Hell the fuck no! Regardless, the western promotes ignorance. I thought it was kind of dope how Lynch introduced "the cowboy" like that. It further pushes the idea, some "bad dudes" with big time power run the show behind closed doors. I also thought it was very effective how the cowboy seemed retired and was actually now a person with this kind of authority; creepy.

In all, this is what hollywood has become: people with particular interest have all the power and say. Once this happens, it's very hard to call that formerly creative medium an artform. This is what the film says to me.

Joe's ill take on Mulholland Dr: The whole movie is about the blonde girl; she sold her soul (career) to the devil (beind the scenes men). Notice how everything in the beginning of her entrance is so perfect, dream like, and intentionally corny. She surprisingly displays an unbelieveable ability to act in her audition. Then everything goes terribly wrong; she morphs into the dead woman on the bed and, for the rest of the film, is in a jealous rage over her ex lover.

Joe.
Post Fri Jul 12, 2002 11:21 pm

Mojo the helper monkey

I'm not going to lie. I like David Lynch. I liked Mulholland Drive, but no, I didn't understand it, but why do we have to have everything spelled out for us to like something. I go into a David Lynch film knowing that I won't get everything, but I sit there and absorb his style, and his films are always drenched in style, even if the plot is less than coherent. It's fun to come out of a film discussing what you just watched with people, and Mulholland Drive was one of the few films I saw last year where I could do that. Hell, I'm still talking about it with some people.

David Lynch, for me, creates moods more than he does stories. I love it.

What did you all (Joe and Beatreporter especially) think of Blue Velvet or Elephant Man (two of his more coherent films)?
Post Sat Jul 13, 2002 12:12 am
pony boy

yo  Reply with quote  

i thought it was about a chick who kills her girlfriend after getting dumped and the whole movie is just a world she created where her ex needs her help and stuff. she was probably a little crazy before she hooked up with that chick and got crazier when she was dumped.
Post Sat Jul 13, 2002 4:12 am
Bandini
WIZARD APPRENTICE

Lynch is a weirdo, no doubt, but I love his movies. I watched an interview with him where he explained how he likes mysteries to be somewhat open to interpretation, not explaining everything like how most "Hollywood" films do. I like that too. I like not having everything given to me and having to use by imagination to fill in the gaps. Lynch also seems really into the idea of people transforming into other people, identities being switched. That confuses the hell out of me. I once watched Lost Highway with a notebook trying to map the film out. I still dont understand it, but it had me interested enough to try, and my mind got a workout. As strange as his films may be, there is a definite realism to them in that most things in life are open ended and open to our own interpretation and no story is ever really finished.
Post Sat Jul 13, 2002 4:17 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
WhatNot

Ass, pure ass!  Reply with quote  

I Wanted to skull FVCK my eyes out of there sockets after I finished watching that movie......Complete ass, do people(the people who do like it) jock it cause it was weird and abstract? Sh!t, when I watch a movie i'd like for it to have a god damn PLOT!!!!! FVck it , I guess it was to advance for my watching.oh and on a lighter note my old man said the latin hussy was from El Paso, Word! If y'all get to go out to the movie theatres and catch a flick watch Mr. Deeds, Adams Sandlers funniest movie since Happy Gilmore, and Wynona Ryder looks wicked hot. [/b]
Post Sun Jul 14, 2002 8:53 pm
snatch

lynch david  Reply with quote  

after that movie i wanted to seek out david lynch and murder him. i havent seen it in while so i've calmed down. he makes movies for the sole reason of leaving you dissatisfied. he did his job. i think it was an excuse to put some hot lesbian scenes in a golden globe nominated movie.
Post Sun Jul 14, 2002 9:07 pm
JOEYBEATS

Ya see...  Reply with quote  

I don't hate David Lynch as much as I do certain type of fans he spawns.

I used to say the same thing about Lauren Hill; I didn't hate her as much as all of her clones.

It's not that every director and/or writer is emulating his style, it's how many posers walk around and act as if they actually understand what's going on; not just within the film but within Lynch's mind.

Not to confuse, I'm not just talking about the basic plot of the film. BTW, I watched it again and Pony boy is right on the money. What I am reffering to are those that suggest intellect and/or understanding/appreciation of art is a plateau. On this level we all pretend we know EXACTLY what David Lynch and/or any other artist is trying to convey to the audience. The difference is people will always be more drawn to act as if they know what's going on in a David Lynch movie (one way more confusing and obscured) as opposed to any other watered down american film (with a straight ahead mountain structured story). Again the connection between madness (chaos) and genius (ground breaking effort) is established in this mode of thought; we all know how I feel about that.

Anytime you hear anyone shout David Lynch and/or another purposely obscured, hoping to be labeled avante garde artist...politely ask them for 3 reasons why they like them. I guarantee a majority will be vague and the more educated fronters will give one solid answer -at best. If you meet one that tells you: "well, I like him because noone can really understand him...from that everyone thinks he is a genius...and I want everyone to think I'm an exception too...so I say I like him to portray the image I understand him." well...let's just say we should pray to that person from now on.

Joe.
Post Sun Jul 14, 2002 11:14 pm

Jaryd

i thought the whole movie was an examination of the concept of duality
soul and body
dreams and reality
light and dark
and so on

the internal conflict and harmony
the external conflict and harmony

whatever you get out of it, you get...
i definitely got a headache
Post Sun Jul 14, 2002 11:37 pm
futuristxen

I liked Muholland Drive. I saw the movie as being a lot about dreams and ambitions, but basically those things within Hollywood. I saw the guy behind the diner as the director David Lynch, kind of a Wizard of Oz, you don't want to see the guy pulling the strings destroying the illusion type thing. I've only gotten to see this movie three times, and it was funny cause when watching it again, I'm following things feeling good about myself, and then that ending hits and I'm back to being confused...but it's in a good way I think. I like to have movies or anything really, that are put together in a manner that requires me to actually do some thinking and puzzle solving. I mean I go to movies now and I don't know what, If I'm jaded or the movies just aren't good, but 99 percent of the movies that are rolling into the local cinema are so drab and predictable. I hate sitting in a theater and knowing how it's going to end, before the "suprise" ending comes in...I feel like a lot of studios are forcing directors to speak down to their audiences, and thus the force feeding effect. While I think Muholland Drive is an extreme in the other direction, it's nice nonetheless to have something diffrent like that every now and again.

I also felt like Muholland Drive was kind of a sequel to Lost Highway. Lost Highway is also pretty much a remake of Kiss Me Deadly, and the whole pandora's box blowing up house idea carries over into muholland drive...I have this idea like Lost Highway takes you up to the opening of pandoras box, but doesn't stick around. Whereas Muholland Drive is Pandoras box opened running around naked and crazy.

I need to go and watch the movie again, but it really did make me think.
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 12:00 am
Jaryd

i like pandas  Reply with quote  

if the blue cube represents (in some way or another) pandora's box, then where is the hope?

cecil b demented knocks hollywood
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 12:22 am
Betamaximus

this was my first david lynch film, but i enjoyed it though i was confused. i just liked watching it, he did a good job. the story was another thing tho, i had to watch it twice to get anything coherent in my head, but after i watched it and discussed it with a friend, it made some more sense, but joe beats, that was an awesome take on the movie, alot of that shit we didnt come up with, like the cowboy shit and all that. fresh. ill probably check out the rest of his movies when i have time this school year.
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 1:45 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next