Register
Mulholland Drive
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

pony boy

yeah  Reply with quote  

Quote:

my old man said the latin hussy was from El Paso

yeah, i think that's that one chick that went to HANKS high school. my ex used to know her.
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 4:02 am
ONE.

LYNCH  Reply with quote  

Lynch is an excellent director, as seen in Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet, etc.

I loved Mulholland Drive, and after a few viewings I think I have a very good understanding of the film. Most of the film is a dream like sequence created by Diane. The last 40 minutes or so is all real. The whole movie is how Diane wanted her life to be... with a "mafia" type of group running Hollywood, that's why she couldn't get movie parts. With the old people (her parents) very happy for her and wishing her luck in Hollywood. With her lesbian lover who no longer wanted her in real life (Camilla) NEEDING her in the dream life. The cowboy is in the background at a party later in the film, and like in real life sometimes when you see someone at a glance they show up at weird points in your dream kind of out of the blue.

anyway, the more you think about things the more they make sense. The whole "Silencio" scene explains a lot.

peaces.
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:37 am
Jaryd

right...  Reply with quote  

but how do you distinguish between which one is dream and which is real?
just because things were going well?
couldn't it really have gone either way?
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 11:05 am
Awww mn

I loved Mullholland Dr. I know I must be pretentious if I liked it. because that's the argument I see when this topic pops up on boards.

It is true, Lynch is purposely detached with his images, but I felt this one had a particular agonizing affect on me and I didn't know why because I am not a know-it-all to say that I understand it. But it plays like a dream, and everyone has images that trigger strong emotions for them and these images don't necessarily have to play out in a linear sequence like your standard movie. For me, it was the image of regret over a lost love and that damned Angelo Badalamenti score. That triggered something very emotional within me in a cerebral sort of way. This movie was so full of these kinds of dreamy images that it could trigger something else for another person. But what I admire most about this film is its violent refusal to play out in linear sequences. The fun thing about this movie is that it is such a blob of absttract images, it requires further imagination on the viewer to try to make sense of it all. I think Lynch intentionally tries to mindfuck people this way, and I appreciate that kind of director/audience manipulation rather than your standard Lars Von Trier-Dancer-in-the-dark "I'm going to put your heart in a meatgrinder" kind of manipulation.

and for all those who want to know the many theories on Mulholland Dr, here's an article and it only made me appreciate the open ends of this film even more.

http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/feature/2001/10/23/mulholland_drive_analysis/
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 12:21 pm
ONE.

Re: right...  Reply with quote  

Jaryd wrote:
but how do you distinguish between which one is dream and which is real?
just because things were going well?
couldn't it really have gone either way?

you gotta look for little clues.. like the red lamp.

peaces.
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 12:41 pm
WhatNot

Damn, pony homie .. your old man, that chick is like in her mid 30's ..... ummm, well that's what my old man made it seem like. she looked MATURE, so she must be around that age.[/i]
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:09 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2