Search
Register
El-P or Aesop Rock
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

HipHopJunkie

El-P or Aesop Rock  Reply with quote  

Am i the only person that doesnt like El-P or Aesop Rock???
Post Sat Jul 13, 2002 8:24 pm
DM

EL-P & AESOP  Reply with quote  

I think El-p is a horrible rapper. It just doesn't appeal to my ears. But he is definately one of the best producers right now. Little Johnny from the Hospital and Cannibal Ox are great production efforts. Aesop, I like. He doesn't always apeal to me, but he grew on me. I can see why some people don't really like him though. Just my 2 cents.

Abacus
Post Sat Jul 13, 2002 9:05 pm
Tony@Beyond Space

I enjoy both there work Funcrusher plus is one of my favorite albums ever release. and the beats on Fan Dam are amazing and the concept for Stepfather factory is great.
Ive liked almost everything ive heard from Aesop the hidden track on Daylight is my favorite song from him
Post Sat Jul 13, 2002 9:42 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Royal-T

El-p is ok in small doses. But Aesop Rock is the shit, one of my fav MC's.
Post Sat Jul 13, 2002 9:47 pm
Emseeyi

El-Producto isnt much of an emcee..i mean he's okay he just isnt anything special really....his beats on Cannibal Ox and the Nickel Plated Pockets beat are really nice....his beats on his album arent anything special at all....a step down from CanOx.....

Aesop is a favorite of mine i like his voice alot and alot of his songs too...i'd like to hear him on some more El-P produced stuff cuz El-P didnt produce anything on Labor Days and on Daylight he just produced Nickel Plated Pockets...
Post Sat Jul 13, 2002 10:43 pm
Satyre

El P, is a personal favorite "mogul" of mine...He is living my dream...He said screw college and went to an audio engineering school, and built his own studio...That is what I plan on doing, so I admire him for that aspect alone and he runs a great label in Def Jux and is a successful producer/mc...His rhymes are not my favorite, but are far from the worst...Production is off the wall abstract shit...

Aesop on the other hand is in my top 5 favorite mc's...He is brilliant...Manchild from MarsILL really wants to collab with Aesop and they are both performing at Scribble, so I really hope that they swap info and hook up on that...Aesop is a lyrical mastermind...

And Derek, Kenny said thanks for the El P Cd you bought and gave to him, it's brilliant...
Post Sat Jul 13, 2002 10:48 pm
duke_city

Satyre wrote:
El P, is a personal favorite "mogul" of mine...He is living my dream...He said screw college and went to an audio engineering school, and built his own studio...

Too bad he never learned how to make phat basslines. He should take lessons from Shalem, ANT and Blockhead.

The lyrical strength of Company Flow was Big Juss NOT El-P. Nobody every mentions the Big Juss album "Black Mamba Serum" damn I love this album much better than "Fantastic Damage" in my opinion.

Aesop Rock has an insane style and acocmpanied by an equally unique flow but at times I find it monotonous. I enjoy his music hes been lucky to hook up with Blockhead and other great producers early on.

Brian
Post Sat Jul 13, 2002 11:56 pm
Satyre

Basslines aren't everyone's styles...Just because you don't have phat basslines does not meant that your beats are not good...
Post Sun Jul 14, 2002 12:14 am
FoNiKs

yes you are the only one that doesn't like the def jukies....
Post Sun Jul 14, 2002 1:51 am
dense

both el-p and aesop rock are truly amazing.... nobody is doing what they do, and when people try it comes off like a weak imitation.... people say that some of aesop rock's work as weakened lately but since 'appleseed' he's been on the same level of greatness.... 'funcrusher plus' is one of the greatest hip hop albums ever and his new ish, whilst being a lot harder to appreciate instantly, is doper than most shit out there.... and both are kick-ass producers!.......
Post Sun Jul 14, 2002 3:31 am
panty_inspector

.  Reply with quote  

i think elp is a good mc
plus he makes mad references to 80s ny shit
and i think he's dope live (who was at the last coflow show when he did last good sleep?)

but umm big jus is underrated

now thats someone to talk about

black mamba serum is classic shit
Post Sun Jul 14, 2002 4:53 am
HipHopJunkie

.  Reply with quote  

I agree that El-P is a great producer i like his abstract beats, but as an MC i think he is weak. And as for Aesop i like his voice and his flow but as for a lyrical mastermind someone explain these lyrics to me because to me it sounds like some skitzo homeless person talking nonsense. I cant really feel anything that doesnt make any sense to me at all. thats just my opinion im not saying they arent great MCs b/c thats based on the majority opinion not mine. Im just not feelin it. Maybe i should listen to more Aesop b/c i have only heard about 4 or 5 of his songs and 3 or 4 of them i didnt like.

First verse from 1,000 deaths an example of what most his songs that i have heard are like

I saw the rod-eye cross and murder circle above my turret
Slither spiraling banister down a hide
My ruby glass glazed specs staple to trade the market thieves
Where vendors cop the stolen citrus out they pyramids
Merry without a slapstick mavericks plugged directly to 3rd rail
surges
Piss on electric mayhem through city commuter circuits
Oooh child, raises oddity, son of a circus side show freak
Pertinent to the slide show, the wino's leak but I won't speak
Infected projection hung thicken the air
Punching is burning plastics upon whiffing the nasal cringes
Pucker another 60-second lapse while 60 stars collapse the suckers
And I'm reborn every time the wine metamorphs back to water, my god
Sweet Christ crucify me with rail road spikes
Use my skull to bash them all in, gather sit and grin, weave
All fair the most serene communication's pageant
Where sitting with a stranger and living awards the badges
I spell Marry with my name stitched on my heritage
Incinerate arrogant simpletons to feed my cherished wind
Buried in leagues a please, thank you, pardon, excuse me
Your welcome, may I? ohh, I'd like to nod but no you may not
Let's take a deep breath, naw let's take a breath
Naw let's take, naw let's aaah shit, well I guess that about says it
Maybe I'll craft the sycamore canoe and paddle upstream
Where the luck seems to reflect precious lovely interventions

Last edited by HipHopJunkie on Sun Jul 14, 2002 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Jul 14, 2002 9:42 am
FoNiKs

can you throw out a verse of your own to show how week el-pee is?
Post Sun Jul 14, 2002 12:03 pm
HipHopJunkie

I was wrong  Reply with quote  

As much as i hate to do it i am going to have to admit i was wrong about Aesop after listening to more of his tracks I agree he is a great MC, abacus was right. I based my previous opinion on few songs i heard and on of those songs was 1,000 deaths which i didn't like but every artist has those couple songs that you dont like. I just happened to pick those ones to listen to first from Aesop. A few of the songs i listened to that I liked were Bracket Basher, Coward of the Year, Float, Labor, and a few collaborations. My opinion on El-P as a MC remains but i was wrong about Aesop.......Forgive me yall
Post Sun Jul 14, 2002 9:40 pm
scott

reply  Reply with quote  

i dont really like aesop either. i know the guy is really talented but the way he says his words/his flow/ and his voice just makes me want to turn my cd player off and put something else in. im not going to force myself to listen to it because hes repected etc. i just dont like him thats all
Post Sun Jul 14, 2002 9:51 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next