Search
Register
Ron Paul: The 5 Million Dollar Man
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

MessiahCarey

futuristxen wrote:
Actually my america would be run by liberals.

You can't decide that. If you made everyone in the country vote for the things they wanted/didn't want in a 1:1 fashion as you suggested...I promise you that America would be FAR more conservative. If you don't think that's the case, then that's why I think your vision of America's electoral system is insane. Even if America is liberal RIGHT NOW (it's not), it may not be in 10 years or after another terrorist attack.

Quote:

And I was extremely fortunate in my circumstances in terms of being able to move out of state. That's not an option for too many americans to make the system fair.

Certainly true. But in your vision America as outlined briefly here your only option would have been international travel.
Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:14 pm
futuristxen

MessiahCarey wrote:
futuristxen wrote:

You can't decide that. If you made everyone in the country vote for the things they wanted/didn't want in a 1:1 fashion as you suggested...I promise you that America would be FAR more conservative. If you don't think that's the case, then that's why I think your vision of America's electoral system is insane. Even if America is liberal RIGHT NOW (it's not), it may not be in 10 years or after another terrorist attack.

I don't really understand how a state government really mitigates any of this. Sure they got gay marriage in MA, but it wasn't because of the state government, it was the judicial system, right?

Meanwhile the state governments all across the country banned the crap out of it.

I guess I feel like the federal government has enough red tape to keep it from doing too much damage to the country as a whole. The fed is usually far enough behind that most of their ideas are paper tigers at best on the bad things.

I feel like the federal government does a good job of protecting me from people, or moreso than the state government does, with a few exceptions. It's not that I trust the fed so much more, I just trust like you say it's ineffectiveness.
Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:36 pm
MessiahCarey

futuristxen wrote:
MessiahCarey wrote:
futuristxen wrote:

I don't really understand how a state government really mitigates any of this. Sure they got gay marriage in MA, but it wasn't because of the state government, it was the judicial system, right?

It was the STATE courts (feds won't even HEAR the case...) that determined the legislasture had 120 days to figure out how to make the laws regarding marriage within the outline of the constitution.

When we say "the government"...I'm including the judicial system. Obviously. Since it's one of the three.

Quote:

Meanwhile the state governments all across the country banned the crap out of it.

13 out of 50. Which is better than 1 out of 1, if I'm doing my fractions right.

Quote:

I guess I feel like the federal government has enough red tape to keep it from doing too much damage to the country as a whole.

Yes, they're called States.

Quote:

I feel like the federal government does a good job of protecting me from people, or moreso than the state government does, with a few exceptions.

Given that firefighters, police (ha) and medical services tend to be STATE run - I gotta ask...what are you basing this on? All the services that you and I have ever depended on (if any) were probably mechanisms of the states and not the fed.
Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:48 pm
thecontractor

I supplicate this entreaty in the hopes that perhaps one who reads it will envisage the capriciousness that the results of this portentous individualism will have on our society. Now is the winter of our discontent.

There are philosophies that are rooted in the documents that were written to free this nation and its people from oppression. Those philosophies have been maliciously and systematically denigrated. Religion has been made an enemy of all. People that believe in God have been labeled as delusional. The belief in an afterlife is laughable. We have been made into dumb beasts. The sensible and sound philosophies that were prevalent when this country was founded are as applicable now as they were when they were written. It is the philosophies that have slowly crept in the generations and replaced the commonsensical metaphysical beliefs that are now showing their age. They do not stand up to the test of time well; they are threadbare and faltering under the new circumstances that have arisen in the last 150+ years. Their true colors are showing them to be nothing more that viperous self serving lies.

I reject these ideas that humans are purely instinctual. This notion is one of a pitiful man whose comprehension stops at the superficiality of life and existence. I will continue to look beyond the veneer. I will endeavor to keep my emotive reactions at a minimum. I will ascribe to think about things, rather than feel about them. I suggest you do the same, and with a little luck, you might see why Ron Paul should be the next president.
Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:54 pm
ecapataz

thecontractor wrote:
The sensible and sound philosophies that were prevalent when this country was founded are as applicable now as they were when they were written.

Slavery is neither sensible or sound. It is backward and evil.

In the name of religion the greatest crimes of genocide have been justified.
Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:56 pm
3flip

our forefathers cherished liberty over anything else when creating this country. religion has nothing to do with liberty.

slavery was an unfortunate but necessary part of the constitution if it was to be ratified thus establishing a country. slavery was going to exist either way at the time.
Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:45 pm
Dan Shay

What state's rights are we fighting for?

Whoop some Mexicans' asses? Praise Jesus in public school? Ban abortion?

This campaign has got Machiavelian undertones. We're talking about something but we're not.

You're talking some crazy nativist shit, there, thecontractor, when you're talking about the 'founding fathers' and their 'philosophies'.

you're gonna find yourself a wee bit alienated if you really wanna go old school like that, cause we'll do it, we will go to that place. We'll put on togas and feed you to the lions.
Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:36 pm
Oh Daesu

thecontractor wrote:
I supplicate this entreaty in the hopes that perhaps one who reads it will envisage the capriciousness that the results of this portentous individualism will have on our society. Now is the winter of our discontent.

There are philosophies that are rooted in the documents that were written to free this nation and its people from oppression. Those philosophies have been maliciously and systematically denigrated. Religion has been made an enemy of all. People that believe in God have been labeled as delusional. The belief in an afterlife is laughable. We have been made into dumb beasts. The sensible and sound philosophies that were prevalent when this country was founded are as applicable now as they were when they were written. It is the philosophies that have slowly crept in the generations and replaced the commonsensical metaphysical beliefs that are now showing their age. They do not stand up to the test of time well; they are threadbare and faltering under the new circumstances that have arisen in the last 150+ years. Their true colors are showing them to be nothing more that viperous self serving lies.

I reject these ideas that humans are purely instinctual. This notion is one of a pitiful man whose comprehension stops at the superficiality of life and existence. I will continue to look beyond the veneer. I will endeavor to keep my emotive reactions at a minimum. I will ascribe to think about things, rather than feel about them. I suggest you do the same, and with a little luck, you might see why Ron Paul should be the next president.

Do you talk like this in real life? If someone talked to me like this at a party, I'd be compelled to punch them in the mouth. Just sayin'
Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:56 pm
thecontractor

Dan Shay wrote:
We'll put on togas and feed you to the lions.

I will be the tastiest martyr you've ever had.

Just call me Ignatius.

Dan Shay wrote:
Was it because they were annoying everyone in Europe with their Holier than thou shit?

You can be King George III.
Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:19 pm
MessiahCarey

Stop it, y'all are making me hot over here with your dress up.
Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:58 pm
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

This thread makes happy.
Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:25 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10