Profile
Search
Register
Log in
Ron Paul: The 5 Million Dollar Man
View previous topic | View next topic >

Post new topic Reply to topic
Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Author Message
MessiahCarey



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 10924
 Reply with quote  

futuristxen wrote:
Actually my america would be run by liberals.


You can't decide that. If you made everyone in the country vote for the things they wanted/didn't want in a 1:1 fashion as you suggested...I promise you that America would be FAR more conservative. If you don't think that's the case, then that's why I think your vision of America's electoral system is insane. Even if America is liberal RIGHT NOW (it's not), it may not be in 10 years or after another terrorist attack.


Quote:

And I was extremely fortunate in my circumstances in terms of being able to move out of state. That's not an option for too many americans to make the system fair.


Certainly true. But in your vision America as outlined briefly here your only option would have been international travel.
Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:14 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
futuristxen



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 19373
Location: Tighten Your Bible Belt
 Reply with quote  

MessiahCarey wrote:
futuristxen wrote:
Actually my america would be run by liberals.


You can't decide that. If you made everyone in the country vote for the things they wanted/didn't want in a 1:1 fashion as you suggested...I promise you that America would be FAR more conservative. If you don't think that's the case, then that's why I think your vision of America's electoral system is insane. Even if America is liberal RIGHT NOW (it's not), it may not be in 10 years or after another terrorist attack.



I don't really understand how a state government really mitigates any of this. Sure they got gay marriage in MA, but it wasn't because of the state government, it was the judicial system, right?

Meanwhile the state governments all across the country banned the crap out of it.

I guess I feel like the federal government has enough red tape to keep it from doing too much damage to the country as a whole. The fed is usually far enough behind that most of their ideas are paper tigers at best on the bad things.

I feel like the federal government does a good job of protecting me from people, or moreso than the state government does, with a few exceptions. It's not that I trust the fed so much more, I just trust like you say it's ineffectiveness.
Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:36 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
MessiahCarey



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 10924
 Reply with quote  

futuristxen wrote:
MessiahCarey wrote:
futuristxen wrote:
Actually my america would be run by liberals.


You can't decide that. If you made everyone in the country vote for the things they wanted/didn't want in a 1:1 fashion as you suggested...I promise you that America would be FAR more conservative. If you don't think that's the case, then that's why I think your vision of America's electoral system is insane. Even if America is liberal RIGHT NOW (it's not), it may not be in 10 years or after another terrorist attack.



I don't really understand how a state government really mitigates any of this. Sure they got gay marriage in MA, but it wasn't because of the state government, it was the judicial system, right?



It was the STATE courts (feds won't even HEAR the case...) that determined the legislasture had 120 days to figure out how to make the laws regarding marriage within the outline of the constitution.

When we say "the government"...I'm including the judicial system. Obviously. Since it's one of the three.


Quote:

Meanwhile the state governments all across the country banned the crap out of it.


13 out of 50. Which is better than 1 out of 1, if I'm doing my fractions right.


Quote:

I guess I feel like the federal government has enough red tape to keep it from doing too much damage to the country as a whole.


Yes, they're called States.


Quote:


I feel like the federal government does a good job of protecting me from people, or moreso than the state government does, with a few exceptions.


Given that firefighters, police (ha) and medical services tend to be STATE run - I gotta ask...what are you basing this on? All the services that you and I have ever depended on (if any) were probably mechanisms of the states and not the fed.
Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:48 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
thecontractor



Joined: 20 Mar 2007
Posts: 99
 Reply with quote  

I supplicate this entreaty in the hopes that perhaps one who reads it will envisage the capriciousness that the results of this portentous individualism will have on our society. Now is the winter of our discontent.

There are philosophies that are rooted in the documents that were written to free this nation and its people from oppression. Those philosophies have been maliciously and systematically denigrated. Religion has been made an enemy of all. People that believe in God have been labeled as delusional. The belief in an afterlife is laughable. We have been made into dumb beasts. The sensible and sound philosophies that were prevalent when this country was founded are as applicable now as they were when they were written. It is the philosophies that have slowly crept in the generations and replaced the commonsensical metaphysical beliefs that are now showing their age. They do not stand up to the test of time well; they are threadbare and faltering under the new circumstances that have arisen in the last 150+ years. Their true colors are showing them to be nothing more that viperous self serving lies.

I reject these ideas that humans are purely instinctual. This notion is one of a pitiful man whose comprehension stops at the superficiality of life and existence. I will continue to look beyond the veneer. I will endeavor to keep my emotive reactions at a minimum. I will ascribe to think about things, rather than feel about them. I suggest you do the same, and with a little luck, you might see why Ron Paul should be the next president.
Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:54 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
ecapataz



Joined: 14 Jun 2006
Posts: 1960
Location: Bonn, Germany
 Reply with quote  

thecontractor wrote:
The sensible and sound philosophies that were prevalent when this country was founded are as applicable now as they were when they were written.


Slavery is neither sensible or sound. It is backward and evil.

In the name of religion the greatest crimes of genocide have been justified.
Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:56 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
3flip



Joined: 30 Dec 2003
Posts: 2201
Location: Minneapolis
 Reply with quote  

our forefathers cherished liberty over anything else when creating this country. religion has nothing to do with liberty.

slavery was an unfortunate but necessary part of the constitution if it was to be ratified thus establishing a country. slavery was going to exist either way at the time.
Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:45 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Dan Shay



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Posts: 11245
Location: MN
 Reply with quote  

What state's rights are we fighting for?

Whoop some Mexicans' asses? Praise Jesus in public school? Ban abortion?

This campaign has got Machiavelian undertones. We're talking about something but we're not.

You're talking some crazy nativist shit, there, thecontractor, when you're talking about the 'founding fathers' and their 'philosophies'.

you're gonna find yourself a wee bit alienated if you really wanna go old school like that, cause we'll do it, we will go to that place. We'll put on togas and feed you to the lions.
Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:36 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Oh Daesu



Joined: 11 May 2005
Posts: 1848
Location: Vancouver
 Reply with quote  

thecontractor wrote:
I supplicate this entreaty in the hopes that perhaps one who reads it will envisage the capriciousness that the results of this portentous individualism will have on our society. Now is the winter of our discontent.

There are philosophies that are rooted in the documents that were written to free this nation and its people from oppression. Those philosophies have been maliciously and systematically denigrated. Religion has been made an enemy of all. People that believe in God have been labeled as delusional. The belief in an afterlife is laughable. We have been made into dumb beasts. The sensible and sound philosophies that were prevalent when this country was founded are as applicable now as they were when they were written. It is the philosophies that have slowly crept in the generations and replaced the commonsensical metaphysical beliefs that are now showing their age. They do not stand up to the test of time well; they are threadbare and faltering under the new circumstances that have arisen in the last 150+ years. Their true colors are showing them to be nothing more that viperous self serving lies.

I reject these ideas that humans are purely instinctual. This notion is one of a pitiful man whose comprehension stops at the superficiality of life and existence. I will continue to look beyond the veneer. I will endeavor to keep my emotive reactions at a minimum. I will ascribe to think about things, rather than feel about them. I suggest you do the same, and with a little luck, you might see why Ron Paul should be the next president.


Do you talk like this in real life? If someone talked to me like this at a party, I'd be compelled to punch them in the mouth. Just sayin'
Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:56 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
thecontractor



Joined: 20 Mar 2007
Posts: 99
 Reply with quote  

Dan Shay wrote:
We'll put on togas and feed you to the lions.


I will be the tastiest martyr you've ever had.

Just call me Ignatius.

Dan Shay wrote:
Was it because they were annoying everyone in Europe with their Holier than thou shit?


You can be King George III.
Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:19 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
MessiahCarey



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 10924
 Reply with quote  

Stop it, y'all are making me hot over here with your dress up.
Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:58 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
breakreep
homophobic yet curious


Joined: 27 Sep 2004
Posts: 6627
Location: Fifth Jerusalem
 Reply with quote  

This thread makes happy.
Post Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:25 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
All times are GMT - 6 Hours.
The time now is Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:39 pm
  Display posts from previous:      


Powered by phpBB: © 2001 phpBB Group
Template created by The Fathom
Based on template of Nick Mahon