Search
Register
Israel Concedes East Jerusalem (!!)
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Embryo

Israel Concedes East Jerusalem (!!)  Reply with quote  

Quote:

“I agree that all the Palestinian neighborhoods except the Arab neighborhoods in the holy basin ... would be transferred,” Ramon told Army Radio. Instead, he suggested a “special administration” to oversee the holy basin. He did not elaborate, but past talks have raised the idea of turning oversight to an international body.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21192545/

thank baby jesus.
Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:08 pm
Asterax

Honestly, do you think this will stop extremist groups on either side?
Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:43 pm
medicineman
HALFLING

It's still a step in the rigth direction, if it happens. Unfortunately I think bloody conflict is inevitable as long as ANY single group controls Jerusalem, be they Jewish Muslim or Christian. It's just too important a place to too many people to fly a flag that is attached to a particular religion...
Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:46 pm
Windom

Quote:

Olmert’s office also tried to distance itself from Ramon, saying his comments reflected his own opinion and not that of the prime minister.

Quote:

“I agree that all the Palestinian neighborhoods except the Arab neighborhoods in the holy basin ... would be transferred,”

Quote:

After a series of one-on-one meetings in recent months, Olmert and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas appointed negotiating teams to prepare for the conference.

Negotiations are good, but Camp David were negotiations that resulted in little for the Palestinians. Early days but I wouldn't be surprised if these were an effort to delegitimate Hamas as the elected Palestinian authority, Abbas was not elected and should not be the representative at these talks. It goes to show that the balance of power even in negotiation is with Israel - they get to choose who they negotiate with. Any restoration of Palestinian land is good but I await the details first i.e. right of return, military control, resources, mutual exchanges of land.
Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:13 pm
DM

Asterax wrote:

Honestly, you don't think this is better than nothing?
Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:06 pm
Anti.Agent036

medicineman wrote:
It's still a step in the rigth direction, if it happens. Unfortunately I think bloody conflict is inevitable as long as ANY single group controls Jerusalem, be they Jewish Muslim or Christian. It's just too important a place to too many people to fly a flag that is attached to a particular religion...

no diss, but remember that the palestinian flag is not associated with any religion. it is representative of all parties, sects, ethnic origins, languages, etc. in Palestine. It is secular in nature, though there are those that attach the "La illaha ilallah" in the white part as to affirm Islam. It is representative of seculars, atheists, communists, anarchists, leftists, rightists, Muslims, Christians, Jews, Samarians, etc.
Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:46 pm
breakfast

Why the fuck does everyone want Israel so bad, its the size of a fucking football.
Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:01 pm
Lusid
http://youtube.com/watch?v=skCV2L0c6K0

I think all atheists/agnostics should throw in on a nice space station rocket ship and live semi-peacefully traveling throughout the galaxy argueing over comic book characters and musical preference.
Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:54 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

I would like to believe that this peaceful agreement is because both sides were happy that the Evil Yankee Empire got booted from the playoffs.
Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:02 pm
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

Lusid wrote:
I think all atheists/agnostics should throw in on a nice space station rocket ship and live semi-peacefully traveling throughout the galaxy argueing over comic book characters and musical preference.

shotgun!
Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:05 pm
medicineman
HALFLING

Anti.Agent036 wrote:
medicineman wrote:

no diss, but remember that the palestinian flag is not associated with any religion. it is representative of all parties, sects, ethnic origins, languages, etc. in Palestine. It is secular in nature, though there are those that attach the "La illaha ilallah" in the white part as to affirm Islam. It is representative of seculars, atheists, communists, anarchists, leftists, rightists, Muslims, Christians, Jews, Samarians, etc.

I do know that. The palestinian flag is not really what I had in mind. What I really mean is that Jerusalem is simply too important and controversial to ever be controlled wholly by any one group, and especially not by one religion. We should have figured that out over the past thousand years or so. I am by no means an expert on middle east history or middle east affairs, not at all. I know just enough to know how contentious this situation is, and fuck, I just wish people could share, you know? If it's so holy to everybody then let's not kill there.
Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:56 pm
Jascha

I hope one day a huge earthquake utterly wrecks jerusalem. no more temples and bullshit.

and it would be a good laugh to see all major religions go batshit over how it is the end of the world and stuff.
Post Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:52 am
Asterax

DM wrote:
Asterax wrote:

Honestly, you don't think this is better than nothing?

Having studied Palestinian and Israeli relations a few years ago, there have been several attempts to move towards peace, but each time extremist violence has stopped it.

Let me rephrase my question: honestly, do you think this can be an agreement free of extremist violence from either side? A step towards a non-violence and peaceful coexistance or merely simmering before the pot overflows again. I like this better than nothing at all, but I am skeptical of what "this" actually is.
Post Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:07 am
crash

Location: the chocolate city with a marshmallow center and a graham cracker crust of corruption

...as everyone forgets about gaza.
Post Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:28 am
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

crash wrote:
...as everyone forgets about gaza.

Crash: I'm guessing the glass is half full for you?
Post Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:46 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next