Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

breakreep
homophobic yet curious

I'm proud to be an American.
Post Fri May 09, 2008 8:36 pm
DM

knowrites wrote:
2b wrote:
What if we're neither proud, nor ashamed?

then you get the fuck off the internet

Whoa, way to over react.

I'm proud of my kid sister, who after a lot of hard work, has just been accepted into some real good colleges.
Post Fri May 09, 2008 8:50 pm
Mikal kHill

Mark in Minnesota wrote:
kHill: Take a minute and tell us about how you're doing with those things. You've said, in relatively short form, about what your priorities are and how you feel about everything else in your life. But if you're proud of your wife and your girl and your music, tell us more about those things. Is your wife achieving her dreams, whatever those are? Is she overcoming adversity? Where has your music taken you that you wanted to go? What are you proud of about it? Is it a raw talent thing? Is it a hard work thing? Somebody coming to you after a show and telling you that you connected? What about your daughter? I'll bet you have something more specific you can talk about just like I'll bet Lusid has something to talk about.

There's no way that I could really expound on these things properly here... maybe not at all... other than maybe in a song. ha

Here are the condensed veresions, though:

My wife: She's a beautiful lady who cooks the best food, knows the most shit, tolerates me (which is an awesome feat in and of itself), and manages to be one of the most empathetic and forward thinking people I've ever known.

My daughter: She's already growing terrifyingly fast. She's already standing up on her own. When I beat box at her, sometimes she tries to click back. She's beautiful and awesome.

My music: I'm proud of it because I think it is good & it keeps me sane. It's the only kind of journal I have kept consistently.

-kHill
Post Fri May 09, 2008 8:54 pm
Mark in Minnesota

More seriously:

I'm proud of the fact that I finally got my shit together, stopped renting, and now live somewhere I own. Well, not own yet, but at least I'm paying a mortgage instead of rent. I don't know if the whole wife and kids thing is ever going to happen for me, and I missed out on the high school graduation / college graduation thing, too. This was a major life event and it was pretty cool seeing my dad come visit it for the first time, and spend the whole afternoon dorking out and taking pictures of every little thing with his camera.

I'm proud of the fact that I got somewhere in my career that nobody can fuck with. Nine and a half years for the same company, eight of that as the guy with root access for the same shop. Because of this job and the effort I put into it, I know what it's like to try as hard as I can at something, fail, and be glad of what I took away from it. I get to show up at work in a Rhymesayers t-shirt, shorts, and rotting hiking shoes, and get respected as a top professional at the company I work for, on the basis of merit and of paid dues.

And I'm really good at what I do. My boss, a PhD, introduces me to CTOs and other central figures to our company's technology direction as a "guru". The last CIO of the company told me that I was the best troubleshooter that he had ever me. I learn new things every day, and I'm already deeper in certain areas than any of my teachers ever went. What I do is fun, and hard, and quite possibly the only career on the face of the earth that I'm really cut out for.

But... it wasn't the obvious outcome for me. Nine times out of ten, the guy who makes the kinds of bad decisions I made from ages 16 to 19 doesn't come out of it the way I did. I had family members who saw how screwed up I was and were sure I was dealing with a drug addition. I was struggling with depression deep enough that I wasn't willing to admit how bad things were. In 2008, the kid doing what I did would be doing it in Second Life or World of Warcraft, fourteen hours a day seven days a week for three years, and it's hard to see where that kind of addiction could take someone. I did it in a game on the Internet that was lucky enough to be populated by programmers wiling to teach me the foundations of a trade.

But somehow I came out the other side. I did things my own away and carved out a place for myself in this world. I earn a paycheck, I challenge myself, and I do something that doesn't leave anyone who knew me before I "fell" able to accuse me of wasting my gifts. I'm proud of that. I'm proud of where I took myself, and I'm proud of the fact that I've been able to hold open the door for something like nine or ten of my friends to start down the road to careers of their own.

I haven't always been the son my parents deserve. I make a lousy lover, and in some ways I've been 18 years old for the last 12. I don't make friends easily, and while I've helped the friends I have made out of some jams over the years, I haven't kept their secrets, I haven't kept my promises to them, and I haven't always had empathy and kindness where those things were called for.

But there are some things I do really well, and I know without a doubt that even the friends who feel I've hurt them are better off for having known me. I don't have a life most people would want for themselves, but I have a life I can be proud of, in its own terms.

When I'm not caught up feeling like a space alien pod person who can't relate to "normal" people, mostly I just feel really lucky.
Post Fri May 09, 2008 9:19 pm
knowrites

Mark in Minnesota wrote:
C'mon. What's the point of this thread if you're not going to talk in depth about why you're proud of the things you're proud of?

knowrites: You should be proud. I have one of your drawings in a desk drawer right here in my office, until I can figure out what I want to do with it. You're a talented artist, and I hope you use this thread as an opportunity to post a few pieces (new or old) reminding us of that.

what do you have?
people need to tell me these things!
i totally have'a right to know!

okay, i'm proud because of this concept.
bombzo portrait. starting out with finger painting for the make up. whole thing- black white- red, and whatever color some vital organs are.
thats as much detail as i'm going into right now, but this shit will be huge. (big watercolor paper)
if anyone takes this idea, i'll kill em.
or... man slaughter them
yes.
IF YOU STEAL MY IDEA I WILL MANSLAUGHTER YOU IN THE FUCKING FACE.
Post Fri May 09, 2008 11:19 pm
duxz

Im proud of my art work and the fact that im starting in the career of my choice.
Im proud I dont find 50 cent to be an great hip hop artist due to album sales.
Im proud i got a 31 on my ACT which saves me from my 2.1-2 overall gpa.
Im proud CBP fighter Camozzi won his HDnet fight tonight.
Post Fri May 09, 2008 11:25 pm
knowrites

DM wrote:
knowrites wrote:
2b wrote:
What if we're neither proud, nor ashamed?

then you get the fuck off the internet

Whoa, way to over react.

I'm proud of my kid sister, who after a lot of hard work, has just been accepted into some real good colleges.

when typing this, i, again, forgot that the tone i have in my head doesn't translate well to text.
i'm sorry 2b.
Post Fri May 09, 2008 11:29 pm
Dream Inspired

i'm proud to have survived as long as i have when so many around me have passed.
Post Fri May 09, 2008 11:31 pm
knowrites

Dream Inspired wrote:
i'm proud to have survived as long as i have when so many around me have passed.

winner.
but really, i'm only 18, and as often as i think i'm a shitty person, i'm proud to have lived and progressed in life as much as i have so far.
it's not that far.. but still.
Post Fri May 09, 2008 11:35 pm
Mark in Minnesota

knowrites wrote:
what do you have?

I have one of your USPS stickers (RE-Make Art). I'm the Mark from St. Louis Park MN who you mailed one of your originals to. I bought it from you about a month ago, as a conscious alternative to posting anything in that godforsaken shoplifting thread.

Last edited by Mark in Minnesota on Sat May 10, 2008 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri May 09, 2008 11:58 pm
knowrites

Mark in Minnesota wrote:
knowrites wrote:
what do you have?

I have one of your USPS stickers. I'm the Mark from St. Louis Park MN who you mailed one of your originals to. I bought it from you about a month ago.

OH! YEAH!
right, how many marks could there possibly be in Minnesota?
cool, that sticker was actually done by someone on here by request, but never bought it...

SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION:
prints of my postal stickers are now available.
i'm doing them for $5, but right now i only take check..
Post Sat May 10, 2008 12:01 am
corporateslave

I'm proud that I won a $5000 grant in the scholarship show at school this year, and that I'm basically done with school except for one class next fall, which will involve doing my artwork at my leisure and meeting with a teacher once every other week. I'm proud that I'm interning at the Robert Blackburn Printmaking Workshop in NYC all summer. I'm proud that I don't own a car.
Post Sat May 10, 2008 1:25 am
Dyss

Im proud that I had the guts of stepping into a fight where one guy was unconscoius and recieved several kicks to the head. It took the guy one week to wake up in the hospital and the police said I rescued his life. I then witnessed against the other guy who got locked up. The feeling of saving someones life was pretty rewarding, and this Im proud of.
Post Sat May 10, 2008 1:32 am
shambhala

Mark in Minnesota wrote:
C'mon. What's the point of this thread if you're not going to talk in depth about why you're proud of the things you're proud of?

Lusid: Tell us about something your boy has done that blew your hair back, on some "wow, he's a whole person who I'm lucky to know" shit, like Mac's story about his daughter and the coloring book in that Bukowski thread a few months ago. Every parent has stories like these. Let's hear one of yours.?

kHill: Take a minute and tell us about how you're doing with those things. You've said, in relatively short form, about what your priorities are and how you feel about everything else in your life. But if you're proud of your wife and your girl and your music, tell us more about those things. Is your wife achieving her dreams, whatever those are? Is she overcoming adversity? Where has your music taken you that you wanted to go? What are you proud of about it? Is it a raw talent thing? Is it a hard work thing? Somebody coming to you after a show and telling you that you connected? What about your daughter? I'll bet you have something more specific you can talk about just like I'll bet Lusid has something to talk about.

Astro: There's a story there worth hearing. Why did you get thrown out? What is it about your situation that makes your grandmother cool in spite of the rest of your family?

knowrites: You should be proud. I have one of your drawings in a desk drawer right here in my office, until I can figure out what I want to do with it. You're a talented artist, and I hope you use this thread as an opportunity to post a few pieces (new or old) reminding us of that.

breakfast: What are those achievements? What are you studying, and what makes you passionate about it? I personally hope it's something in biotech, because you went over my head on that subject in very short order a couple threads ago.

kese: What work are you doing to make that happen? What's your family/social situation such that you feel you have that already? I went through the same thing with my father. After I left school (which wasn't the right place for me, I already knew hat I wanted to do when I grew up and they canceled the one class I cared about for lack of interest), I struggled with the same thing with my father. I'll never forget the look on his face or the sound of his voice eight years later when he and I were standing in his garage and I told him that he and I now had the very same job title. It's cool as fuck when you pull off something your parents didn't expect you to be able to do -- a feeling well worth working for.

If you're posting in this thread and you're being guarded or afraid of coming off as goofy, ask yourself why. If you're really proud of something, it should be worth gushing over.

i could not help but picture you as a dude that a court would send you to as a teenager for punching someone in the face on the bus to talk with in this post.
Post Sat May 10, 2008 1:57 am
mindtoast

theres some good shit in this thread people!

i'm uber proud of my relationship with my fiancee. she's american, i'm australian...she's going to be here in 24 days, but we've had do the long long long distance relationship thing for hellishly long time, and we've still managed to hold it down. That sort of shit is tough, yeah, but its kinda really rewarding too, yo. it really stretches your limits, and sometimes you can surpass them. Other times its just a pain in the arse.
Post Sat May 10, 2008 9:47 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next