Search
Register
What are you proud of, SFF?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

breakreep
homophobic yet curious

mindtoast wrote:

i'm uber proud of my relationship with my fiancee. she's american, i'm australian

Well at least she knows she's free. But you? You probably forgot all the men who died to give that right to her. But despite it all, you'd stand up next to her and defend her today. God Bless the U. Fucking S. Of your God-damn A.
Post Sat May 10, 2008 11:32 am
kese

Mark in Minnesota wrote:

kese: What work are you doing to make that happen? What's your family/social situation such that you feel you have that already? I went through the same thing with my father. After I left school (which wasn't the right place for me, I already knew hat I wanted to do when I grew up and they canceled the one class I cared about for lack of interest), I struggled with the same thing with my father. I'll never forget the look on his face or the sound of his voice eight years later when he and I were standing in his garage and I told him that he and I now had the very same job title. It's cool as fuck when you pull off something your parents didn't expect you to be able to do -- a feeling well worth working for.

It's a long story... My dad is cool as can be and I know he loves me and proud of me as long as I'm not fucking up.
He's one of the hardest working guys I know. I remember when he lost his job at GM when they moved to Mexico. So he had to take on 2 full-time jobs working grocery to support my mom, my sister, and me. He's worked third shift for as long as I can remember. He's always just worked hard...unselfishly to support his family, out of love.

I've never had any pressure on me to make a career decision, or to succeed or any of that. In fact when I decided that I wanted to be an artist my mother basically told me that I wouldn't be able to do it. One crazy rainy night when I set up an appointment with the Art School of America (that one they had the commercial for on T.V.) we got into a fight, cause I wanted to borrow $80 to enroll in their at home classes. My parents were broke at the time, but I was in highschool and had a part-time job, but just didn't have the money that night. She ended up ripping up some of my drawings,,, especially a stippled pen and ink one I had put the most time into... the one thing I had that I was most proud of. She told me that I'd never make a living doing what I love. I remember that my dad was going to let me borrow the money, but my mom made it so difficult.

After that in my senior year in high-school I decided initially to not enroll in the gifted arts program again. I took an extra study, and thought instead that I'd go to school to become a doctor. Thing was at the time, I was still deep into graffiti. So instead of making "art" and plan on going to school for it I'd just write KESE all over the place, and study nutrition and sports medicine on my own. I thought I would become a doctor instead. Things were rough at home... my dad was working hard, and my mother was leaving the house at night while my dad was at work trying to support us.
I would also leave the house at night to put my name up all over the place... I loved graffiti, but didn't ever think I could make a living out of it.
(It's funny cause I met Sage around this time, and remember expressing this to him at the time.)

One of my best friends noticed all this and made a comment to this girl in one of my classes... She told me that he told her, "I don't know why he isn't going to school for art, he loves it, it's all he does"... that's when everything clicked. It was a little late then to really plan out going to art school, and work on a portfolio. I didn't even take my SAT's my senior year, but scored high enough when I took them my Junior year, to get into almost any school I would want to go to. That and with things at home being a mess... not really getting guidance from anywhere. My parents never went to college, so they couldn't really help me... They went bankrupt, and got divorced, and my mom blamed it on me, for some reason I'll never understand. I was really confused... but I knew now that I was going to be an artist. I got my shit together late, and ended up going to RIC (a state school, but with the best art program in the state besides RISD).

I worked full time putting myself through school,... I didn't even really care about my other classes. I learned a lot, but didn't take anything seriously besides my art. I'd skip classes to work at home on my art. I ran up my credit cards buying tons of art supplies, and books.... I lived for what I loved, art, and needed to know everything I could about it. I started off as a graphic design major, and one of my professors noticed that I wasn't as into it as I was making drawings. I told him that I was doing graphic design so I could "make a living". He warned me that I might end up getting stuck doing work for other people, and that I would lose the love for it... that the magic could disappear. The next semester I switched towards a BFA in Painting... was killin' it really...but I didn't enjoy painting as much as working with pen and ink. Painting majors are also required to take Printmaking classes... and once I started taking printmaking classes I fell in love with the whole printmaking process. Intaglio, woodcuts, lithographs...fuckin' INK... So i switched my major to a BFA in Printmaking... I was the talk of the Art Center... word got back around to me that I "was the best thing to hit the arty program in a long time" but my school didn't have any screen-printing equipment. So I set myself up to be able to print Plastisol t-shirts... all professional like... around the same time I quit the job I had working at a deli for this dickhead that thought he knew it all...(one of the jobs my dad had to work when he lost his job at GM), and I got a job working for a local screen-printer, and learned how to better use the equipment I just bought.

When the time came to think about going to grad school, I got fed up with being broke, and having to work jobs I hated to pay to make art. I decided to take a break from school and focus on screen-printing... I wanted to be able to fund my art by doing something more creative. I was doing well at the other screen-printing shop, and we had a meeting where we discussed my future plans, where I could see myself in 5 years..they wanted me to become a major player in their biz and I got a raise... But it wasn't much.. the next week I almost passed out busting ass for $10 an hr. I knew the business side of it all and decided that I should just start my own business instead of working for them. Especially cause when they asked me where I would see myself in 5 years, I thought to myself "Owning my own Printshop...This was in 2004...

Things didn't go as quick as I had hoped... The equipment that I had wasn't that great but with hard work and ingenuity it got the job done. After a few weeks I was back at the deli... and I totaled my car. Instead of buying a car right away with the insurance settlement I bought a Mt.Bike, and busted my ass all summer working 60+ hrs at the deli and printing the rest of the time. I had enough to put a deposit on a decent used car by the end of the summer. After that I kept working to start paying off the $20,000 debt I had from buying all those books, art supplies, and equipment. It took a while...
I kept printing... staying focused.

By the Beginning of 2007 I had all of the debt paid off. and had built a decent clientèle for my business.I quit the deli job and made it a point that I'd never go back, I spent 10 years there while trying to figure out how I'd be able to make a living off of my talent... I got another job trimming fish with some friends,at a SeaFood shop working 40+ hrs. a week, having to be there for 5:30 a.m. every morning. This has been really hard work... I was making more from screen-printing, but I've learned a shit ton about work ethic, getting the job done, and "keeping my knives sharp" by being there. But unlike working at the deli, my boss there realized that you can have a lot of fun while doing that.

After printing for Sage and SFR for a couple of years, Sage hooked me up with the printing jobs for the HTDD tour. Looking back now... I don't know how I did it with the press I had at the time.... haha...From that I was able to buy a new press.... and have been getting better and better with every job I print.

It's been about a year now since then... I'm meeting with my partner Paul, in an hr to go discuss with the landlord of our new screen-printing shop about investing in the company, allowing us to get better equipment in.

After all that.... the point is... my Dad taught me to work hard for what I love. I never had guidance or money, but I had the support of my friends and family. Time after time people have told me that it's not possible. But, Sage, in particular, helped me see that with hard work and determination... you can make a living as an artist.

I'm proud as hell to do the screen-printing for SFR.

My dad never pressured me to do anything, but he's worked really fucking hard for other people all his life to support me... and because of that everything I do has purpose. I'm going to use the life he gave me as best as I can... I'm on a mission to claim the game in my family name.

The zoning decision on the building for the ClassSick Custom shop should be coming in next week. At that point I'll be giving my notice to the Seafood place... to never look back... I'm going to make a living doing what I love.

My mother broke my dad's heart... cause he was busy supporting us.
For that I dedicate my work to him, and everyone else who's helped allow me to be me.

What do I do? I make shit dope. I do work.
I'd like to help my dad retire early... and set shit up so my family and friends will be straight...
Post Sat May 10, 2008 12:04 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
knowrites

i've started this multi media bombzo portrait, and so far i'm happy with it.
i'm trying to incorporate a few subtle things from the rest the album, and i'm proud to say i think it will work out.
so far i've used:
undiluted water color
ink
rotten ink
pencil
dirt, grime, and theres some bugs crawling on it too, so when they walk by, i work them into it.
(i'm working outside) ain't no bugs in mah house.
and i'm thinking some acylics and oils might need to be added, but i'm not sure yet.
Post Sat May 10, 2008 12:14 pm
IAmNiki

maybe It's slightly trivial, but I joined a gym about a month and a half ago. I always hated exercise, especially the few times I spent in a gym before joining, but I forced myself to do it for health and vanity reasons.

Since joining I've been able to make it to the gym no less than five days a week, usually six, for a duration of at least an hour and a half. After the first week of going, I began to love it. It's a great release, and one of those things where you easily get the reinforcement that you need when you start to see the results of your efforts.

I never thought I'd be at the gym this much, ever, but now I get all excited to go. To show for it I'm in far better shape, much stronger, and feeling great mentally. Self discipline has never been my strong point, but I got this part wrapped up. I'm also involved with a wonderful guy, and making a move to Chicago by August happen, where I'll be attending a community college part time once I find a part time job and settle in. The only area of my life I'm not happy with is the job situation, but it seems around here ( and almost everywhere else) it's a complaint many people are having lately.

I also starting writing a three book series, finally, after a long time of thinking about it and letting the idea of it intimidate me out of actually doing it. I'm super excited about it.
Post Sat May 10, 2008 12:21 pm
Mark in Minnesota

Thanks for posing that, kese. It was really interesting reading.
Post Sat May 10, 2008 12:33 pm
IAmNiki

knowrites wrote:
i'm trying to incorporate a few subtle things from the rest the album, and i'm proud to say i think it will work out.
so far i've used:
undiluted water color
ink
rotten ink
pencil
dirt, grime, and theres some bugs crawling on it too, so when they walk by, i work them into it.
and i'm thinking some acylics and oils might need to be added, but i'm not sure yet.

Rotten ink? I'm intrigued. What's it come out like? What's it good for? And furthermore, how do you get rotten ink?
Post Sat May 10, 2008 12:38 pm
zagadka
DARK PAST HAVER

I'm proud of the fact that I started two businesses while I was in school full time and we've managed to stay out of the red each of those years. I am most proud of my clothing line, which we are looking to expand- custom designing our own garments and getting away from just shirts. Its still a while out, but I'm stoked. We've also gotten quite a few reviews and features which is a ton o fun.

I'm happy that I've never taken the easy way to money. I've never been able to see myself in a traditional 9-5 job, and even though I don't have a ton of cash coming in (yet!), I do have the luxury of time and setting my own hours. Lunch on Wednesday afternoon for grandma's b-day? I can do dat.

I'm also starting to freelance wardrobing services. I was on the fence about whether or not I wanted to do it because I had conflicting feelings about it (I love fashion, went to school for it, but I also hate how it can fuel one-uppery and excess in some people) but after a talk with my brother, he encouraged me to do it with a different approach. I'm working on my website and waiting for my business cards to arrive next week.
Post Sat May 10, 2008 12:50 pm
C.R.A.Z.Y

i did some really rad things that i am very proud of at an internship last year...i was thinking about it yesterday and realised i am so happy about what i did there. :-)

i learned a lot and accomplished something great.
Post Sat May 10, 2008 12:51 pm
zagadka
DARK PAST HAVER

Good post Kese...very inspiring and you put me to shame.

What equipment did you end up getting? How big is your space going to be? Hope it all works out for you, I know you'll do amazing.
Post Sat May 10, 2008 12:58 pm
cakes

i feel like i should stay out of this thread, because, you know, i don't wanna make too many people feel bad they aren't as awesome as me... on the real, a lot of you have a lot of impressive things to be proud of. cheers. :)

as for me, i'm proud that i'm still alive and feel fleeting moments of empathy and wisdom.
Post Sat May 10, 2008 1:18 pm
quasifoto

my 8 yr old daughter, specificallly that she started skateboarding with me last fall and has just this week learned to drop in on a 6ft high quarterpipe. family and life paths also make me proud.

although i must admit, i'm weary to be proud of much in my career as a photographer, humble pie seems to work WAY better for photogs. i'm just happy to have made it.
Post Sat May 10, 2008 1:51 pm
knowrites

IAmNiki wrote:
knowrites wrote:
so far i've used:
undiluted water color
ink
rotten ink
pencil

Rotten ink? I'm intrigued. What's it come out like? What's it good for? And furthermore, how do you get rotten ink?

ok, it was red ink, i got it for a class i dropped almost two years ago, so it's been sitting around since.
it rotted, and now it's a yellowy piss brown color, and looks dirty and grimy as hell. perfect for some of the stains on the bombzo apron.
*spell-check* *post*
Post Sat May 10, 2008 2:21 pm
knowrites

knowrites wrote:
IAmNiki wrote:
knowrites wrote:
so far i've used:
undiluted water color
ink
rotten ink
pencil

ok, it was red ink, i got it for a class i dropped almost two years ago, so it's been sitting around since.
it rotted, and now it's a yellowy piss brown color, and looks dirty and grimy as hell. perfect for some of the stains on the bombzo apron.
*spell-check* *post*

oh, and i don't recommend trying the rotten ink...
i just checked it.. it's dry, and has actually eaten through the black ink that was under it.
i like the way it looks.. but holy shit!
i can't wait to post pictures of this!
Post Sat May 10, 2008 2:50 pm
breakfast

Mark in Minnesota wrote:
C'mon. What's the point of this thread if you're not going to talk in depth about why you're proud of the things you're proud of?

breakfast: What are those achievements? What are you studying, and what makes you passionate about it? I personally hope it's something in biotech, because you went over my head on that subject in very short order a couple threads ago.

As far as my achievements go, the specifics are typical of your average try-hard undergrad: I get good grades, get on the Honor Roll etc. etc. But what I'm actually happy about is the fact that two years ago, I was going to drop science altogether and become a music journalist, all because I had a rough time in Organic Chemistry. Since then, I've rekindled my interest in biology, and during a self imposed "internship" last year I became one of the youngest people to work in commercial forest biotech, on the largest somatic embryogenesis/reforestation effort to date, as a researcher and tissue culturist. I've just been approved to work on a research project at my University as well, so I feel like by the time I officially graduate (in the Spring) I will have enough experience to head straight for a PhD.

As far as what I am actually studying goes, my transcript says I am majoring in Biology with most of my credits in genetics, botany and microbiology, and minoring in English. I've been interested in biology since I was young enough to form full sentences, maybe because my mom would usually take me to natural history museums and libraries as activities when I was a kid. Nurturing aside, I think I've just been inherently fascinated by the subject more so than any other academic discipline, though I have a lot of interest in other fields too. The one thing that has continued to hold my interes is the almost theological nature biology takes on when you are looking at complex systems. Clearly I am not an advocate of intelligent design, but I can understand the merit of viewing the diversity and cleverness of nature in an almost divine light, though I think this value can be intrinsic as opposed to a validation for creationist thought. Ultimately, I feel pretty lucky to be in a position where I can explore and tinker with these systems, so I guess that's why I'm into it.
Post Sat May 10, 2008 5:30 pm
futuristxen

I'm reasonably proud about how well my studies into magic are going. I've done many successfull sigils, evoked a few gods, witnessed a successfull invocation, built a few servitors, and done a little work on the astral plane. Right now I'm studying runes.

It's all completely silly, but I'm proud of how well I've grasped things to this point, because for the longest time magic was just something I thought I would never find an "in" in and it would just be vague and mysterious, but I'm starting to understand how things work, and it's been fairly illuminating, and useful at connecting lots of interesting dots.

I'm also proud of the blog I've been maintaining, and how often I've kept posting at it.

And then the thing I'm most proud of is the comic I'm writing, which is a great deal of fun.

I'm also proud that I traveled halfway across the country and made best friends with people I had only talked with on the internet before, and now they are very integral parts to my life. It was a gamble, and I was worried about things cycling back in on themselves into the great big bad of my life, but it's been a raving success.

I'm also proud to the extent that when I initially began transitioning genders, I was worried about the kind of life I would end up with as a transgender woman; and my life has actually gotten a tremendous lot better. I've never been as in my skin as much as I am now. It was a stressful thing to do, but I'm proud of how well I've landed on my feet and it gives me a lot of confidence going forward in my life that I can meet whatever challenges I set my sights on.
Post Sat May 10, 2008 6:01 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next