Search
Register
GTA IV - Game of the year?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

leg.donor

GTA IV - Game of the year?  Reply with quote  

So, I was never that interested in this game before, but then I read all the 100% reviews, and ign gave it the first 100 since soul caliber in 1999, so I figured the game had to be really fuckin good.

So I went out at midnight last night to buy the game, and what a major disappoint this is.

Half of the PS3 owners can't even play the game because it freezes to the point where you have to physically reset the playstation from the backside.

There are glitches everywhere. Online play barely works and also freezes to where you have to reset from the back.

The framerate drops horribly everytime you move, it seems like everything just chugs along. Yea, the graphics are a little better, but the framerate thing completely ruins it.

Besides that, the game is not much different than san andreas in my opinion.

I'm assuming things are a little bit better on xbox, but I heard there are some problems there as well.
Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:57 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
R. Kamidees

4 hours into the (Xbox 360) game, and not a glitch in sight.

Deserving of all the 10s? Yep. If it can get a guy like me emotionally invested in the story line, they have done something special. I even played a few rounds of deathmatch, and it performed swimmingly.

If you can't see the difference between GTA:SA and IV, I weep for you.
Sorry, the game can't perform on your console. But it looks like you are in the minority
Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:40 am
Dyss

It is amazing. Ive played for ten hours and it havent behaved weird yet. Hope I dont jinx this shit now though. The storyline is gold and the city really is breathtaking. It is not game of the year, it is game of a lifetime...
Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:01 am
Eltron Hubbard
try-harderator

Is it a good game for someone who doesn't like games about fighting all the time? Such as me?
Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:33 am
MC Pope

Is the story line still totally linear? It's pretty lame that we have all these sandbox games where you can do whatever you want, man [as long as it doesn't affect the main game in any way at all].
Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:34 am
Mark in Minnesota

This is just a really good game. For once I don't feel like elaborating on that,
Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:10 am
poisonfree

dcas  Reply with quote  

We won't know if it's totally linear until we get further along in it.

My cousin works at the Electronic Gaming Monthly offices (ZD) in SanFran and he told me it was amazing, so I bought it.

I haven't really been in love with any of the GTA games. I would play them a bit here and there but the stories didn't keep me into it, and also the map of the city wasn't as smooth as it should have been.

In fact I enjoyed GTA1 and GTA2 on the PC more so.

BUT, GTA4 is awesome, the story is good, the city is really amazing, and the GPS function relieves many potential headaches.

PS: The Multiplayer is really fun/novel/intense.
Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:11 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Eltron Hubbard
try-harderator

I would like to collect herbs. How is the herb collecting engine in this game?
Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:22 am
Mark in Minnesota

Not as robust as the one in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.
Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:26 am
english bob

loving it so far but have only played for an hour or so.. couldn't get MP to work at all (xbox).. just kept on coming up with 'session disconnected' even though i could occasionally hear other people talking.. ah well.. single player is more than good enough. the city looks amazing. i haven't even gone round the whole first island yet and i'm in awe - looking forward to getting the other two islands.
Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:57 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
futuristxen

Eltron is killing it in this thread.

I wish I could afford an Xbox360. I got Panzer Dragoon Orta on my old xbox for 5 bucks this past weekend, and I'm pretty happy with that game. I mean...you fly a freaking dragon around and shoot things from it. No complaints from me!

When are they going to make a grand theft auto game, but with more dragons? I want to play the grand theft auto game where I get to be a dragon and lay waste to city after city, rampage style, but with more fire. Rawwwr!
Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:59 am
True School Session

i have it on 360 and no glitches in site. PS3 is hurting over this.
Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:26 am
Jesse Custer

futuristxen wrote:
Eltron is killing it in this thread.

I wish I could afford an Xbox360. I got Panzer Dragoon Orta on my old xbox for 5 bucks this past weekend, and I'm pretty happy with that game. I mean...you fly a freaking dragon around and shoot things from it. No complaints from me!

This is what I thought when I bought Panzer Dragoon for the Megadrive all those years ago.

How wrong I was...... hopefully they've made some improvements over the last 15 years.
Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:40 am
Lants

so far i really like driving around in circles and running down the street racing against cars. i really like repetitive motion though.
Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:41 am
NME

got it for PS3 and played for a few hours last night. didn't glitch once, for the record.

Really liking it so far, not much has changed except driving is a little more realistic. City is fucking DENSE though.
Post Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:53 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next