Search
Register
Breaking Bad!
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

CriticalTheory_Breakfast

Anyone else notice that Cranston directed last night's episode?

At first I was annoyed that they replayed the last scene from the previous season as the first scene of this season, but I quickly realized why and it all made sense. They were supposed to have more episodes last season until the writer's strike, correct? It definitely felt like the continuation of a very natural story as it needed to progress, instead of a "SEASON 2!!!" where there is a different woman playing the mom and the son is replaced with a pet guerilla. It felt very honest and engrossing.

When this show is over, a few seasons from now, it'll be this wonderful 30+ hour movie (if they keep this up). If anyone is sleeping on this show, you are missing out.
Post Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:29 pm
phataccino

My only fear is that the writers will somehow work themselves into a corner where the only way out is to keep getting more ridiculous and absurd, but so far no complaints. I'm with Stumbleweed in regards to Hank: he cracks me up.
Post Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:40 pm
mzehe916

CriticalTheory_Breakfast wrote:
...instead of a "SEASON 2!!!" where there is a different woman playing the mom and the son is replaced with a pet guerilla.

I'd like to see this!
Post Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:48 pm
shambhala

I actually think there's a lot of room to work with, as far as continuing seasons.

Obviously skylar is going to find out what's going on in the next two or three episodes. She is pretty burnt out on her life right now, everything going wrong...I think she is right about at the point where when he shows her 60K cash she may just decide to be on his team. And Hank is a sharp cookie, he's a total douche but he's great at his job, you can already tell he's set up as an operator. But I think he just won't bring himself to believe Walter is capable of this...at heart he thinks Walter is a pussy.

Provided Hank doesn't figure it out and end the show prematurely, you could have a three season run from here I bet. I mean, the average run of a top dog in the drug world is probably about that, three to five years depending on how smart and....capable...they are.

The thing that's so great about this show is that it's really a living breathing thing. I could fully imagine reading this in the headlines. "Family of Three Turn out to be Major Meth Distributors in New Mexico Drug World, former chemistry teacher began selling the synthetic drug to pay for chemo treatments." Honestly we could all see that headline and not even open the link it would seem so mundane...

But you gotta figure, that burnt pink teddy bear (great opening sequence) is going to be a bad scene. Meth lab explosion that probably kills a kid, at some point in the season. That may make things complicated.
Post Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:54 pm
phataccino

shambhala wrote:
But you gotta figure, that burnt pink teddy bear (great opening sequence) is going to be a bad scene. Meth lab explosion that probably kills a kid, at some point in the season. That may make things complicated.

I was thinking the same thing. Walt has already shown that he's capable of killing, but (at least so far) everyone that he has killed either directly or indirectly has been a "bad guy." At some point his actions are going to result in an innocent person being killed.
Post Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:07 pm
xGasPricesx

Stumbleweed wrote:

Hank cracks me up... he provides moments of much-needed levity in this show.

That hug scene was amazing, I thought his phone call to Walt about it was pretty funny too. The minisode they did for him is so fitting for his character and the dynamics between him and Walt.
Post Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:21 pm
the Baumer

Definitely was impressed with this episode. Every commercial break was a cliffhanger basically.

I don't know what the plans are, but I'm sure that if this season is successful they will try for at least one more, but beyond that, they would probably have to do too much ridiculous stuff to keep the show going.

3 seasons this intense would leave a series that would probably continue growing in popularity after it was done, similar to Arrested Development.
Post Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:13 pm
zeem

episodes 2 and 3 pre-aired on torrent.

"The Wire" is no doubt the best tv I've ever seen. This is just as good.
Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:22 am
Stumbleweed

Yeah, so far. Let's see if they can keep this crazy shit going for another season or two at this same intensity level before we start declaring it as good as the best show TV's ever produced though... it'll take a lot to top The Wire overall...
Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:28 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
shambhala

I got eps 2 and 3 but almost want to watch them on TV with friends.

I think when the dust settles it's not as good as the Wire....the Wire is epic social commentary and high literature....but as far as TV goes, yeah, this is as good as it gets.
Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:42 am
phataccino

I've still never seen a single episode of The Wire. I need to remedy that.
Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:11 pm
Stumbleweed

phataccino wrote:
I've still never seen a single episode of The Wire. I need to remedy that.

When you do, always start from the jump and watch 3-4 in a row to get interested in the show. So many people watch the first episode or two and then forget about it or lose interest.. it's slow-developing, and that's its best feature. By the time you're on Season 4, you'll likely be raving about the show like the rest of us do.
Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:13 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
shambhala

first season is the worst. gotta make it past that.
Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:25 pm
Stumbleweed

Agreed. I would have said Season 2 initially, but I've really come to love the Frank character and that whole other glimpse they gave... The show really built and got better with every season until the 5th, which was a step backwards from 4, mostly because it seemed condensed due to having only 10 episodes.

I always wonder what would've been added had Simon not elected to cut the season down to get more budget for Generation Kill... still great though.
Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:33 pm
shambhala

ah man though, the comedy in breaking bad is crazy good though...

some awesome lines from the episode:

"OL STUMPY, MAKE SURE YOU GET THE STUMP IN THERE."

and

"so we're going to, what, plant the beans and, bam, magic beanstalk and we escape?"

"no, we're going to make Ricin"

"Rice n Beans?"
Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:56 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next