Search
Register
The Rolling Movie Thread (Ultimate Ultimate)
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

smake

Ok, I lolled, but you are way wrong ofcourse. Boondock Saints (first one) is awesome! Not in: best film ever, but one fun movie to watch.
Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:04 am
selfworth

haven't watched the second but it probably because i didn't like the first boondock saints. i think it is one of the most overrated films of the last decade. also, after watching that doc. about the making of the movie, it made me want to stab the guy, that made this movie, in the face. what a douchebag.
Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:18 am
Captiv8

Just watched Sorority Row. Shrug. I didn't feel robbed, and I didn't feel enriched. I will say that I didn't predict the ending correctly, which was good, and there was a really great death scene involving a dude being upside down in a dumbwaiter. The other deaths were kind of lackluster and could have used a little more creativity. But what can you do? This was a decent, if unoriginal, slasher, which I guess could be predicted since it was a remake. Speaking of which, the new Friday the 13th is on the way.
Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:21 pm
Captiv8

Just sat through the new Friday the 13th. I say sat through because it pretty much sucked, and new because it wasn't exactly a remake. It incorporated a lot of elements from previous films (such as the infamous sleeping bag, red barn, death by antlers, and woman floating topless in the water scenes) and tried to create some kind of heroic scenario that was well beyond the bounds of any movie in the series to date. Even the deaths were kind of lame, which is disappointing because, for me, that's usually the most entertaining part of any horror movie. It's a chance for the production to get creative, and I think they failed in that regard. The end was predictable as well. The audience usually has a pretty good idea of what's going to happen, especially if they've seen any of the prior movies, but this was on some bullshit. At least leave it up in the air, you know? One final complaint: aside from some humorous dialogue from the black dude and Asian dude, this film was on some "insert ludicrously trendy/hackneyed/trite dialogue here" shit. It was like I was in the 80s, but worse because this movie was released in 2009. As a big fan of the series this was a total letdown. Where was the rumored return of Tommy Jarvis? Keep Michael Bay away from me.

The Haunting in Connecticut was so much better.
Post Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:35 pm
Z-0

my wife and I just watched el orfanato for what must be the 30th time. it never gets stale to me, unlike the usual glamour style horror flicks of recent years. nightmare on elm street remake? meh.
Post Wed May 05, 2010 12:54 am
Captiv8

I happened to see the trailer for this on imdb.com just now. Holy shit.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1375666/

There are many things to be excited about here:

1) Christopher Nolan is directing. Bam!

2) Look at that cast: DiCaprio, Gordon-Levitt, Ken Watanabe, Marion Cotillard, Ellen Page, Cillian Murphy, Michael Caine, Tom Berenger.

3) The tagline: Your mind is the scene of the crime! Eat that, Hardy Boys.
Post Tue May 11, 2010 5:52 pm
Confidential

SIN NOMBRE:

Oh my God. This movie was produced by Gael Garcia Bernal and Diego Luna (of Y Tu Mama Tambien). It has some tragic scenes that are hard to watch, and I hate for the MS Gang to be the stock image of Central Americans. But it also has some stories of immigrants' plight and redemption. Well paced, not too long. If you read the synopsis, the plot seems far-fetched, but it works as a movie. It is both tragic and comforting, and very relevant to what's going on right now.

Also, sticking with the themes of the film, I recommend EL NORTE, VOCES INNOCENTES, and MEN WITH GUNS.
Post Tue May 25, 2010 3:37 pm
Captiv8

Sin Nombre is my Netflix queue. I'll get to it.

Perfume: Story of a Murderer the other night. It is about a man with the most sensational nostrils ever and his pursuit of capturing scents forever. He can only do this, apparently, by killing virgin girls. This makes it sound like hokey schlock, I know, but the movie was actually really well done. Ben Wishaw was really impressive as the lead character, and made the premise genuine. Even though you knew what he was doing was wrong you empathized with him and wanted to see him succeed in making this ultimate perfume. The last major scene of the movie must have been either really liberating or really awkward to film, and I'll leave it at that. Dustin Hoffman and Alan Rickman co-star and give their credibility.
Post Tue May 25, 2010 5:24 pm
Dr Sagacious

Captiv8 wrote:
I happened to see the trailer for this on imdb.com just now. Holy shit.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1375666/

There are many things to be excited about here:

1) Christopher Nolan is directing. Bam!

2) Look at that cast: DiCaprio, Gordon-Levitt, Ken Watanabe, Marion Cotillard, Ellen Page, Cillian Murphy, Michael Caine, Tom Berenger.

3) The tagline: Your mind is the scene of the crime! Eat that, Hardy Boys.

Wow. This looks really good. Christopher Nolan has the Midas touch, it seems.
Post Tue May 25, 2010 5:26 pm
mancabbage

sin nombre is very good, has anyone seen valhalla rising? Watched it earlier, what an odd film, I'm not sure if it was shit or good. It manages to create a shit load of tension and feeling of dread, its really pretty in a gory sense of the word... but yeah, plot wise, eh?

Its an odd one
Post Tue May 25, 2010 5:30 pm
Brynjar

Saw Get Him to the Greek last night, a great great movie. Everything thing Russell Brand, Jonah Hill and Diddy say in the movie is fantastic.

Post Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:03 am
Captiv8

Does anyone else have a (man-)crush on Paul Rudd? The motherfucker is just so likeable. That winning, devil may care smile helps a lot.
Post Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:52 pm
Dr Sagacious

With how prevalent the conflict is with Israel and Gaza, I thought I'd share this:

Post Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:13 pm
leg.donor

Captiv8 wrote:
Does anyone else have a (man-)crush on Paul Rudd? The motherfucker is just so likeable. That winning, devil may care smile helps a lot.

ever since clueless
Post Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:19 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mancabbage

Dr Sagacious wrote:
With how prevalent the conflict is with Israel and Gaza, I thought I'd share this:

I loved this, the end kicked me in the balls
Post Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:47 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next