THE Video Game Discussion Thread
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

the Limbo sequel called Inside, wow

Post Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:55 am
mizterie

anyone play the destiny alpha? shit is fire. i will definitely be investing in a copy.
Post Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:56 pm
Disharmony

I found New Vegas Ultimate Edition at walmart for $15. I never got around to playing this. I really liked FO3, but I played it off and on for like 3 years. I am guessing this will take me just as long to get through. I am a slow gamer...heh.
Post Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:06 pm
Captiv8

Disharmony wrote:
I found New Vegas Ultimate Edition at walmart for $15. I never got around to playing this. I really liked FO3, but I played it off and on for like 3 years. I am guessing this will take me just as long to get through. I am a slow gamer...heh.

Since they're the greatest games ever made you should be playing them for the rest of your life.
Post Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:11 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

new vegas is hands down one of the very very best open world games and just game in general

with that said ive recently just got the Honest Hearts DLC and i really cant get into it right now, its ok though it will find its time
Post Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:29 pm
Captiv8

Neuro wrote:
new vegas is hands down one of the very very best open world games and just game in general

with that said ive recently just got the Honest Hearts DLC and i really cant get into it right now, its ok though it will find its time

I really liked Honest Hearts because it removed you from the bleakness of the Wasteland to a place full of life. There's freshwater everywhere, and it even rains, which was a nice touch. In many ways it's the exact opposite of Dead Money.
Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:28 am
Juan
girls don juan anything to do with me

Watch Dogs is kind of a cross between Batman and Grand Theft Auto.

The way you clear rooms and can try to use stealth reminds me of Batman. As well as being referred to as a vigilante the whole time.

Everything else feels like grand theft auto. stealing cars from people, etc. except you lose karma for killing random people and even criminals, which makes everything else you do harder. It's actually really hard to get the cops called on you. I whip out my gun and all of the citizens threaten to call the cops and tell me to put it away, and then they just walk away. I had to empty a full clip into the air before anyone tried calling the cops on me.

Either way I'm having fun with it. Lots of random things around town to keep you busy and the story is good.
Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:52 pm
Flossin

Juan wrote:
It's actually really hard to get the cops called on you. I whip out my gun and all of the citizens threaten to call the cops and tell me to put it away, and then they just walk away. I had to empty a full clip into the air before anyone tried calling the cops on me.

Getting cops called on you will become increasingly easier, both in missions and in the gang hideouts side missions. Gangsters calling reinforcements is a problem later on, too. But if you do a lot of the side missions and get your skill tree filled fast, there's this gadget that disrupts communication and can disconnect any calls for cops etc. It's pretty nice. I like doing the gang hideout missions the most.

Apparently you can shoot the cops in the knees and that doesn't ruin your reputation, but I have yet to try it.
Post Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:53 am
Juan
girls don juan anything to do with me

Yea, I'm a little further along now. But the more I play the more I like.

Believe the hype.
Post Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:28 am
Mikal kHill

Oh my GOD i hadn't seen the sequel to Limbo, that looks amazing!
Post Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:19 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

super street fighter 4 arcade is free on 360 right now

theres really no reason not to d/l it

summerjam
Post Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:02 am
Captiv8

Neuro wrote:
super street fighter 4 arcade is free on 360 right now

theres really no reason not to d/l it

summerjam

I downloaded it for nostalgic purposes. It's an absolute bear to complete achievement-wise, but I still want to play it, so I'll be using a dummy account on my 360 to battle the wife.

Edit: I also downloaded Charlie Murder, which looks like a fun, sidescrolling RPG-esque beat-em up. I won't play it just yet though, as there is apparently an as yet unpatched unobtainable achievement. From what I've heard the patch is in the works, but I won't do anything until it's official.
Post Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:52 am
Captiv8

http://www.trueachievements.com/n17387/charlie-murder-title-update-live.htm

Charlie Murder title update just came through. Well that was great timing! I'm playing How to Survive now, which I have mixed feelings about. I like the crafting system, which is fun and creates interesting new ways to use items, and certainly makes the game easier. The combat is kind of crap though, and it's weird that the same zombies are harder to kill as you progress from island to island. The leveling system is also kind of useless. But I'm interested in seeing how the game plays out. I'm assuming I live.
Post Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:18 am
Mark in Minnesota

First Xbox One game: AC4: Black Flag.
First PS4 game: Infamous 2: Second Son.

Xbox One impressions:
- Kinect doesn't work very well in my living room. Not sure if it's because my sofa is too far away from the TV or what. May need to buy a stand at some point and keep it a bit closer. Nearly have to shout to be heard by the voice recognition, have to lean way forward to have gestures recognized, etc.
- The controller feels like an ordinary Xbox 360 controller, with maybe a little more polish. Slightly nicer thumbsticks, and the vibration in the triggers is a cool touch. But nothing innovative there.
- I really like the way I just boot straight back into the game after powering up. Didn't realize how much title screens annoyed me until I started seeing fewer of them.

PS4 impressions:
- SIXAXIS motion control doesn't work very well given my normal gaming posture. Have to sit way forward to have things work right.
- The touchpad button is gimmicky but cool, and works well enough.
- The share and options buttons are both hard to press, I find myself having to look down at the controller to locate them.
- Share functionality in general isn't something I care about; I'd prefer that thing to be a separate functional button for games.
- The speaker built into the controller is pretty cool. The full assembly in Infamous 2 has a stencil graffiti minigame where you turn the controller on its side, shake it like a spray paint, and use one of the shoulder buttons to spray. The "spray can shaking" noise comes out of the controller, which is surprisingly immersive, although not so much that you forget you're awkwardly holding a controller and pretending it's a spray can.

Conclusion:
- Xbox One controller is better for my style of gaming.
- PS4 controller "feels" more next-generation.

I already talked a bit about AC4 in a previous post so I won't get much into it here. Infamous 2 is just okay, reminds me more of Crackdown and The Amazing Spider-Man than of anything else. I enjoyed playing it but I found the story kind of uninteresting and the gameplay kind of awkward. They're trying to do something new here but I don't think they settled into a proper idiom for storytelling or interaction.

The way I find myself wanting to term this is to say that next-gen consoles allow us to push the state of the art in video games, but that game developers have to remember to actually do the pushing. This game achieves a very high frame rate at high resolution and does some visually flashy thing with power effects, etc. Never caught myself noticing technical considerations around things like render distance, pop-in, etc. -- but at the same time never caught myself sitting back surprised that a video game had just allowed me to do a thing.

It makes me think about the love letters I've used this forum to write about games like Bully, Red Dead Redemption, Fallout: New Vegas, Fable, Skyrim, and others. About games from the Xbox vs PS2 era like Metal Gear Solid 2 and Splinter Cell. Games that evolve boundaries of gaming itself.

Infamous 2 doesn't do that. It showcases the PS4's capabilities, but it doesn't let me do anything genuinely new with video games. I guess I can say all I need to about this title by noting that the most innovative part of the experience was the way it allowed me to simulate coloring inside the lines.
Post Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:56 pm
Captiv8

Have your heard anything about glitches, system issues, or anything the bogs down the Xbox One, Mark? It doesn't seem to have the problems that the first generation of Xbox 360s did, but I'm still wary. I don't really have much cause to get one yet, though the price drop is appealing at this point. I'll probably still wait until the holiday season before getting the One, but we'll see.

Also, if you already have a Kinect for the 360, is that compatible with the One? Or do I need to get that accessory again?
Post Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:28 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 350, 351, 352 ... 359, 360, 361  Next