Search
Register
B. Dolan - Natural Born Trouble (ft. Neil Hamburger)
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

xGasPricesx

B. Dolan - Natural Born Trouble (ft. Neil Hamburger)  Reply with quote  

Not sure how to embed stuff from SoundCloud, but figured this should be put up here. Seems like House of Bees Vol. 3 is somewhere around the corner, and if this track is any indication, it seems like it will be great as usual. Really digging this song so far and really curious to hear some more stuff from the mixtape.

"Y'all rappers were born, I got expelled out my mama"
https://soundcloud.com/strangefamousrecords/b-dolan-natural-born-trouble-ft-neil-hamburger

(If SFR peeps were planning on making an official post for this soon, feel free to delete this one. Just wanted to make sure this ended up on here)
Post Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:52 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Thanks for posting!

My favorite line:
"That promoter don't have my fee? We going to the cash machine."

I love when B drops these actual anecdotes into his songs while most people probably assume that it's some fantasy scenario bullshit.
Post Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:08 am
xGasPricesx

Ha, even from the little bit I know of B from his music and interviews I've read/watched with him, I have no doubt that the promoter thing has happened at least once. Wouldn't be surprised if he's had to pull out that line a number of times, which is unfortunate, but also a really great visual. I really like a lot of lines in this song too, almost seems like a mix between King Bee and Still Here from a lyrical standpoint. Also, Buddy's production is super on point as usual, really digging his stuff here as well.

Any story behind the Neil Hamburger cameo? Or was it just one of those things where you guys reached out and asked and he said yes. I know Turkington has been heavily involved in the music scene for awhile with all his various bands and his record label, just wasn't sure how close you guys were with him.
Post Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:48 am
Captiv8

Goddamn this is nice. I really like B. Dolan's varying cadence on this, and the beat is insanely good. Thanks for putting me up on this!
Post Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:23 am
Limbs

The legendary Buck Dolan. Buck and B's folk band?

Love the song. Appreciate you. And appreciate you taking your time to release your next album. Can't wait.
Post Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:11 pm
b. dolan
FBI agent

The cash machine thing has happened once or twice, but it's not the most incredible incident of that kind.

The most incredible incident involved an overzealous first-time promoter, who booked a show that he didn't have time to properly promote, on the same day a massive free festival was happening across town. I arrived in the city and immediately realized 1.) no one knew our show was happening 2.) everyone was already planning on heading to this festival thing.

I was picked up at the airport in an Escalade by the promoter's "financial backer", who was absolutely a drug dealer. He brought me to the hotel, we chatted it up. All good.

Mid-way through the show (which about 30 people were attending), I watched the "financial backer" and his posse walk out the door. They did not return.

Overzealous Promoter informs me that he's taken all the money he can out the cash machine, and his financial backer has left him high and dry.

I tell him my flight leaves in 4 hours, and there is absolutely no scenario in which I will not have my money in cash when I board it.

He was a nice guy. I didn't like doing this. It doesn't make me feel good. I would really much rather things go smoothly and everyone be happy and make money.
But, at the end of the day, if it's him or me, it's him.

So I drove with him to his mom's house. 45 minutes outside the city in the suburbs. At 2am.

And I watched the light go on in the living room.

And I watched him take the walk of shame from the front door back to his car.

And he gave me the money he'd had to borrow from his mom, and took me to the airport.

And I paid that month's rent with his mom's money. Cause I'm a creep.

butttt..... Glad you guys like the song!

Neil played the Church of Providence awhile back and was a great guy. We spent a lot of time hanging out backstage and swapping stories and stuff. He recorded the drop into my laptop. It's lengthier than what appears here and I'll put the full version on the final mix. He seemed confused about what the hell he was doing but the result is totally worth it. I still laugh everytime I hear the way he says "Neilllll".
Post Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:40 am
Captiv8

Great story, B. Shame on him for not having his finances and the like in order, but I have to give him credit for making good on his end of the deal, even if it meant crying to mama.
Post Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:43 am
Limbs

Jesus that's a lot to carry. It's easy to forget how compromising it is for everyone to make money.

"You think I chilled the fuck out
Cuz I got married or something
Well I don't like being happy
I'm having trouble adjusting"

My fave so far. There's lots of jokes in my circle about people getting married and losing it. "The ring on your finger cut off your circulation". I love you addressed that.
Post Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:26 am
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

That story about promoter's mom's money put a smile on my face.

This song is fire, too.
B's got one of the best voices in hip-hop.
Post Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:32 pm

Jump to: