Search
Register
Making beats & making songs. Share 'em in this thread
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Raoul DeGroot

Making beats & making songs. Share 'em in this thread  Reply with quote  

We have some people that make music on here.
This thread is for the weirdo set.
Let's put interesting articles and resources about smoke weapons. Like this article- http://www.stonesthrow.com/news/2005/05/phantom-menace-remix-mag-interview-with-madlib-and-engineer-dave-cooley

Don't put up anything that couldn't have been blown over with ganja air and buried in Lee Perry's back yard for a week.
This thread is how to be dirty.

Let this be your guide-

Last edited by Raoul DeGroot on Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:09 pm; edited 6 times in total
Post Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:59 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

what
Post Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:11 pm
Raoul DeGroot

Futuristxen doesn't know anything about making music, but she did hep me to this movie that has this soundtrack and this scene in it.
And I'm almost reluctant to let anyone else sample this thing, but sharing is caring. I'm no secret monger.

Neuro get out of here. You're like a bad cat.
Post Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:12 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

your mom is a bad cat
Post Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:15 pm
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

http://www.saladrecords.com/bonhamfiles.htm
Post Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:17 pm
marshall84

Post Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:43 pm
AdamBomb

Neuro, you stay the f*** out of this thread. We don't knock the cocks out of your mouth when you are doing your thing. Doodling is your art, so why don't you chill at the kids table and let the grownups carry about their business.

Lately, I'm obsessed with tape. Cassette tape, VHS, reel-to-reel...its all good. I like the nostalgic character tape brings to the table. Who knew that 36 Chambers was actually mixed on a 4-track Tascam Portastudio? Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portastudio

Last edited by AdamBomb on Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Raoul DeGroot

marshall84 wrote:
MC cat genius

That's a bad cat too.
Post Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:01 pm
AdamBomb

I made this track as an experimental deal using mostly field recordings from a little hand-held cassette recorder. You can hear toilet flushing, finger snapping, and my dog. The crackle is a lint roller across my countertop. It was fun.

I also like warbling, or the wow and flutter of tape. While we hated it when our favorite cassingles back in the day did this, since you don't hear that sound anymore it brings back the days of yesteryear. So even though I have capabilities to "keep it clean", its fun to dirty things up with some tape.

I found this cool article on tape destruction as an effect that was pretty cool. You can destroy the tape to give you some character. Check it out.
http://www.f7sound.com/tapebreak.htm
Post Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:05 pm
marshall84

Raoul DeGroot wrote:
marshall84 wrote:
MC cat genius

That's a bad cat too.

My bad.
Post Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:48 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

hey AdamShlong

i aint knockin anything
Post Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:07 pm
Dan Shay

AdamBomb wrote:
Neuro, you stay the f*** out of this thread. We don't knock the cocks out of your mouth when you are doing your thing. Doodling is your art, so why don't you chill at the kids table and let the grownups carry about their business.

Lately, I'm obsessed with tape. Cassette tape, VHS, reel-to-reel...its all good. I like the nostalgic character tape brings to the table. Who knew that 36 Chambers was actually mixed on a 4-track Tascam Portastudio? Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portastudio

Enter the 36 Chambers was mixed on a 2 inch reel to reel formerly owned by Prince, used for Purple Rain.

A portastudio was involved but it gets way too much attention for it's role. It was used for bouncing DAT masters to hi speed metal cassette.

Right now I'm dabbling in field recording by making my own mic preamps using a circuit designed by Seigfried Linkwitz.

Post Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:51 pm
Raoul DeGroot

marshall84 wrote:
Raoul DeGroot wrote:
marshall84 wrote:
MC cat genius

That's a bad cat too.

My bad.

Naw it was funny. But it looks like he's a bad cat.
Post Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:03 pm
AdamBomb

Dan Shay wrote:
AdamBomb wrote:

Enter the 36 Chambers was mixed on a 2 inch reel to reel formerly owned by Prince, used for Purple Rain.

A portastudio was involved but it gets way too much attention for it's role. It was used for bouncing DAT masters to hi speed metal cassette.

Right now I'm dabbling in field recording by making my own mic preamps using a circuit designed by Seigfried Linkwitz.

Nice. You are talking real field recordings. What kind of stuff are you looking to record? I'm jealous of your electronic skills.

Kind of bums me out about the Wu, though its all good. There's some grit there that RZA had going a little while he's never been able to recapture. Shit, I was about to dub Bobby Digital to a Type-1 C-30 and get my neck snappin like it was 93. At the time, RZA was probably embarrassed at the quality, but I haven't enjoyed his stuff as much since.
Post Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Raoul DeGroot

The "digital orchestra" and a mansion in Jersey ruined RZA forever. I remember this interview with him talking about watching deer through his window while he comes up with a beat. Some crazy shit.

There's a Jim Jarmusch interview where Jarmusch talks about how when he first started vibing with him Rza would send him these tapes with kinda traditional film score music and he was all like "Rza? What the fuck?" And Rza went "oh I see. You want that old Rza sound. That broken sound" -I think a little disappointed probably. But those were some of his better beats from that era.

It's funny how a lot of genius's don't realize what makes them great. And as they grow less confined by the limitations of their equipment reveal themselves to be kinda retarded.
Cases in point - Rza and George Lucas.
Post Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:12 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 111, 112, 113  Next