Search
Register
Breast Cancer Awareness Month
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

sarah q

Breast Cancer Awareness Month  Reply with quote  

I don't know how many people on this forum are affected by this or care, but I wanted to share a blog entry my friend Danielle wrote about the pink ribbon frenzy:

http://www.thermodani.com/2009/09/season-of-pink-is-deadly-one.html

Many of you may already know about this, I didn't until very recently. Though I never went around purchasing pink ribbon products left and right in the past because it seemed like an empty gesture.

In general it seems like cures get way more attention than prevention, which has never made sense to me. And also seems like a tremendous misuse of money for the most part.
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:59 am
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Re: Breast Cancer Awareness Month  Reply with quote  

sarah q wrote:
In general it seems like cures get way more attention than prevention, which has never made sense to me.

Every October, I keep waiting to see news reports telling women to get off The Pill but I never do.

But the Pharma industry would rather correct the side effects of the pill by blocking the RANKL protein.. which could reduce breast cancer risk by 90%!..
http://myhealthnewsdaily.com/why-the-pill-increases-breast-cancer-risk-0477/

..but by blocking that, it makes other cancers more risky..
http://www.foodconsumer.org/newsite/Non-food/Drug/oral_bisphosphonate_2409101255.html
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:33 am
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

My wife likes it behind the couch on the floor.
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:42 am
Stumbleweed

sarah q wrote:
I don't know how many people on this forum are affected by this or care, but I wanted to share a blog entry my friend Danielle wrote about the pink ribbon frenzy:

http://www.thermodani.com/2009/09/season-of-pink-is-deadly-one.html

Many of you may already know about this, I didn't until very recently. Though I never went around purchasing pink ribbon products left and right in the past because it seemed like an empty gesture.

In general it seems like cures get way more attention than prevention, which has never made sense to me. And also seems like a tremendous misuse of money for the most part.

Thanks for this, I was not aware at all. Shameful shit, and I'm spreading it to everyone now. We were getting ready to pink out/ribbon-up our website logo too...
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:44 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
sarah q

T-Wrex wrote:
sarah q wrote:
In general it seems like cures get way more attention than prevention, which has never made sense to me.

Every October, I keep waiting to see news reports telling women to get off The Pill but I never do.

But the Pharma industry would rather correct the side effects of the pill by blocking the RANKL protein.. which could reduce breast cancer risk by 90%!..
http://myhealthnewsdaily.com/why-the-pill-increases-breast-cancer-risk-0477/

..but by blocking that, it makes other cancers more risky..
http://www.foodconsumer.org/newsite/Non-food/Drug/oral_bisphosphonate_2409101255.html

I no longer take BC and only started taking it to give my parents peace of mind when I was 17 and didn't know any better. I took a really shitty kind too that has a particularly long laundry list of negative side effects. Your body gets dependent on it just like any other drug and you experience withdraws trying to get off like any other drug. But gynecologists push it on you and scare you into taking it and offer free samples every time you go into their office, they also shame you into taking it or treat you like you're an idiot if you try and object.
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:00 am
phataccino

My aunt and cousin did the Walk for a Cure in San Francisco last year and ended up being used in a national advertising campaign. They're like the most famous people I know now.
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:11 am
anomaly
Loserface

I think breasts are alright
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:27 am
jehu

i'm hosting a breast cancer awareness event at a seattle salon. they asked, i said hell yes! glad to do my small part to bring awareness to this awful disease. thanks for posting OP.
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:57 pm
name

Beside losing a grandmother to advanced metastatic breast cancer, I also work at one of a handful of National Cancer Institute Comprehensive Cancer Centers. Basically, these are non-profit Research Institutes/Hospitals that are, more often than not, on university campuses or closely affiliated with large research universities or medical schools. I read the above blog post with some interest and can understand the sentiments and frustration. In the midst of the awareness push and cheerleading that goes on at my institute, I admit that much of it seems fabricated and at times counterproductive. What I love most is seeing the patients everyday in the cafeteria that sport "Cancer Sucks" buttons. I also agree about the somewhat sexist undertone of the breast cancer PR battle; that is a tough problem to tackle.

My problem with the blog post is that it begins to wade too far into conspiracy theory territory. That is not to say that drug companies are not in it for the buck, but to suggest that physicians and researchers such as myself are trying to keep people sick is... well... sickening. A large chunk of leading-edge discovery research is being done at institutions like mine, and I can assure you that if any of us could bring a fully efficacious drug with no side effects or tradeoffs to market, we would. Should we be spending more on prevention and environmental restrictions? Absolutely. I say that even knowing that my research funding would suffer as a result. But the anticancer drugs that are being vilified through a blanket comparison to tamoxifen are not some attempt to prop up a placebo-based cash cow industrial complex. I've heard too many ignorant people paint the whole research effort with this brush just because it's easy - and because some jackholes at Merck and Pfizer give them the occasional fodder.

Cancer is a set of hundreds of different diseases. We're just now sifting through the complexities of tumor biology and targeted therapy. Will there ever be "a cure"? I hate to say, probably not for the majority of malignancies. But I'm am quite sure that most cancers will one day become manageable diseases. And despite what the most cynical and skeptical among us believe, it won't be because pharmaceutical companies want it that way. When faculty get together for meetings at our cancer center everyone agrees that, eventhough we'd all have to look for new jobs, the day we can turn out the lights and close the institute down for good would be a great day.

And by the way. For the OP that suggest that the obscene amount of funds thrown at finding a cure are a "misuse of money". I sincerely hope you'll rethink that statement. There are millions of people alive today that would beg to differ.
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:12 pm
sarah q

My point was that spending such a lopsided amount of money on finding a cure vs. prevention was a misuse. And I stand by that because I honestly believe that prevention can go a lot further than trying to find a cure. I understand that a lot of people may disagree with that.

I don't think the blogger was trying to suggest the National Breast Cancer Foundation or other foundations are purposefully trying to keep people sick, I think she was suggesting they were being irresponsible by simultaneously trying to find a cure for cancer while being funded by a chemical company that makes products that cause cancer.

Also, she includes several links at the bottom that I thought were really interesting on the fight(s) against cancer. Specifically this one: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27283197
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:02 pm
sarah q

I'm also not trying to be insensitive to the fight against cancer. I've lost two friends to cancer this year. I'm simply trying to point out that people should read into the foundations they give their money to before they donate and learn just how much of that money is actually going to help fight the cause.
Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:10 pm
Charlie Foxtrot

How about a thread for colon, stomach and liver* cancers? Each of those kills more people than breast cancer every year and people are way less aware of them.

*I would have included lung but some of those cases are the fault of patient
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:48 am
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:
How about a thread for colon, stomach and liver* cancers? Each of those kills more people than breast cancer every year and people are way less aware of them.

*I would have included lung but some of those cases are the fault of patient

No one likes livers dude.
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:10 am
name

sarah q wrote:
My point was that spending such a lopsided amount of money on finding a cure vs. prevention was a misuse. And I stand by that because I honestly believe that prevention can go a lot further than trying to find a cure. I understand that a lot of people may disagree with that.

Sorry, but "prevention" still requires tons of basic research. Causality must be established, and the specific pathways for carcinogenesis needs to elucidated in the lab before we start calling everything "cancer-causing". Often this is the exact same early-stage research that leads to so-called cures. If stop at the divergence point and funne large amounts of money away from discovery to prevention, more lives would be saved in the short term, for sure. But I am certain we'd be much much worse of in the long run because survival rates would simply plateau.

I agree completely with the MSNBC story that you included. Unfortunately the NIH must follow the government's orders on research funding allocation. And ultimately the government takes its orders from popular opinion and lobbying. Breast cancer marketing is disproportionately successful compared to others. I guess we can't fault them for being good at what they do, but in a limited resource environment I wish these kinds of decisions could be made by scientists instead of politicians and a misinformed public. But then that wouldn't be democracy. And that's a whole different debate.
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:25 am
sarah q

name wrote:
But I am certain we'd be much much worse of in the long run because survival rates would simply plateau.

How so?

*I'm not asking to be argumentative, I genuinely want to understand that point.
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:39 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next