Search
Register
RIP Eyedea.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

RIP Eyedea.  Reply with quote  

I really want to start this new thread and have people share some great memories about Eydea and give their love. I woke up at 7:30AM to this news and I'm still trying to process it.

I have no idea what happened and I don't think the cause of death is public knowledge yet. Here's the post from his mother:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=154904894545542

My full condolences go out to his mom, his family, Sean, Max, Bird, Ali, all of RSE. I don't know where this condolences list should end. I'm not ready to share any stories yet. I don't even know how to make sense of this at the moment. All I know is I'm shocked and sad. Mikey Larsen...you will be missed my man. Much love.

*edit*

Info on the wake, radio tribute, benefit show and more are here: http://rhymesayers.com/Eyedea

Here's my written tribute to the homie: http://tinyurl.com/2uu5rha

Last edited by Sage Francis on Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:59 pm; edited 8 times in total
Post Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:15 pm
RoNn1e

Man, this is very sad news. I'm shocked. He had such amazing talent and so much passion. RIP.
Post Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:20 pm
sarah q

This song was a pretty big deal to me for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-8GUXaRig8&feature=related
Post Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:21 pm
PoetryBox

I'm still saying "wtf" about this. Im shocked. I first heard eyedea back in 2000 even before i started to listen to sage...his freestyles and battles always blew me away. I remember listening to his oliver heart album intensely, bottles dreams is still one of my fav songs. I always thought he was a beast on the sage and slug track "embarssed." My heart goes out to his fam and friends.
Post Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:28 pm
bowski

When I was first getting into hip-hop, he was just emerging on the scene. Countless hours watching freestyles and listening to his music. Tough news, huge loss.
Post Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:31 pm
Disharmony

Too fucking young. RIP.
Post Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:32 pm
Shinigami

R.I.P.
Post Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:35 pm
albeeyap2

I was first introduced to Eyedea in 2000. It was when he entered the Blaze Battle. I was a former emcee battling in house parties & clubs from 1997-2002. After seeing Eyedea win the Blaze battle in 2000, Eyedea became my idol. I followed his career. I wanted to be just like him as a lyricist. Not just in battling but in making records. I was heavily into MC Juice and Supernatural. Eyedea eventually followed through and ended up being in one of Juice's freestyles in the Aaron Wade show. I started studying Eyedea's wordplay and rhymes. Eyedea never sold out on a record deal. He kept it real. He stepped out of the box and he took different avenues in music. Nothing stopped him. He didn't want to settle with hip hop. He went Jazz, he went experimental, & he went alternative. Then I saw him in Scribble Jam where I was then lead to Slug, Adeem, Dose One, and Sage.

To think about it I wouldn't be participating right now in this thread here if it wasn't for Eyedea.

I'd like to mention that Eyedea had many copyng his battle style. Many battle rappers tried to imitate his style. As talented as he was, it was a pleasure welcoming him when he came to Los Angeles via Fatbeats with Slug, Crescent Moon, and Dibbs via 2003. They freestyled in front of me and went off on my friend's camera and rapped about the camera. Seeing him live as my idol imitated me because this guy is definitely not rhyming written punchlines & if it was it's impressive how Eyedea pulled it off. Eyedea did a line where whoever saw the footage that my friend was taking that they were going to copy his style.

Supported him when they came to visit The Roc from The Basement. Many RSE heads know who The Roc is and he was the foundation of bridging and marketing Eyedea and friends to the Los Angeles sector.

I have many throwbacks to share also some unseen footage... a skit of Eyedea is shown in my trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e38r59cmGF0

This was 8 years ago.

jeez... Rest in Peace...

too many legends leaving this place.

Last edited by albeeyap2 on Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:35 am; edited 3 times in total
Post Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:36 pm
feldm4n

Positive thoughts to all of you who knew him personally and of course to his family.

Shitty fucken day for Hip-Hop.

R.I.P.
Post Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:40 pm
remind

sarah q wrote:
This song was a pretty big deal to me for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-8GUXaRig8&feature=related

Me too...
Post Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:44 pm
AdamBomb

I mentioned it in the other thread, but basically my path to Sage's music was Eyedea to Atmosphere to Sage.

I saw the Blaze Battle on HBO around 2000 and recorded it to VHS. I wore that thing out and was mesmorized by Eyedea's talent. Off the strength of that, i kept checking for him and then I finally got First Born on cd and it changed my whole taste in hip hop. The subject matter was very heavy on some of the songs and he was way out of the box, which was refreshing. Oliver Hart was also a phenominal album and my appreciation for Eyedea was solidified when I finally saw him and Abilities live (even got him to sign my Rhymesayers shirt). I know he always gets his props for being the great freestyle/battle rapper, but I dug his album cuts and his live shows were always top notch and full of energy. I was born the same year as him and was jealous of how artistic and deep he was at such a young age. When the song "Now" came out, I couldn't even believe what I was hearing. I must have listened to that song thousands of times and made a lot of fans for him when I showed others that song.

Dude was extremely talented and I admired the fact he always took chances with his sound, regardless of what people told him. Big inspiration on me, and I'll always appreciate the fact he made me rethink my whole taste in hip hop. Its just not fair...RIP. Thank you for all the great art and inspiration.

Post Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:50 pm
medicineman
HALFLING

Uh wow. Bizarre. Not sure how to feel right now. Dude was definitely a big figure to me in my early years falling in love with hip-hop. I haven't been crazy about everything he's touched but he was a real talent, I mean he was one of those people who really carried the muse with him and you knew. I've seen him perform many times and he always remembered me and greeted me like a friend. I convinced him to let my friend come up on stage and freestyle with him one time; that was a really special moment as little kiddos.
Years later beers and an argument over agricultural pollution (?) that nearly ended nastily.

That's really shitty, obviously for his friends and family, and for his younger following too, which from my trips to Soundset seems to still be pretty strong. Rest in peace and thanks for the raps...
Post Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:01 pm
C.R.A.Z.Y

i have so many good memories of mikey. one time when i first met him he was in milwaukee at summerfest and i wanted to buy some mixtape but he made me buy another cuz he was on it. he was like, no i want you to buy this one, cuz im on it! i remeber making a rhyme up to impress him and make him laugh once and he did laugh. he was always really nice to me, he always had something good to say. if i didnt have any money i would call him and he would put me on the guest list. his mom and me and him hung out and he showed me his home studio and we ate food together. he was always telling me i was a good rapper and he was always genuinely excited to see me. he would cheer for me in battles. and vice versa. he was such a good friend.

i really loved him a lot. i love his mom too shes so nice.
my heart goes out to his family.
Post Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:02 pm
OM3N

Ummmmmm. I don't really know what to say here.

I am in tears.

RIP
Post Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:03 pm
MYOWNCLICHE

I have been following his career since Blaze. I love that he challenged himself and tried new things. 2003 I was at scribble listening to the prelim battles and this tall guy next to me was laughing so much that it made me laugh..I looked over at him and it was Michael..ofcourse I took the opportunity to intoduce myself as a fan and got a warm smile and a nice hug from him as he said "thank you" and we chatted a bit. I've been to several of his shows and he and abilities are among my favorites artists. My condolences go out to his family and friends. It is a privilege to be a fan of his..he gave us his all.

Quote:

I'm probably your favorite mc's favorite emcee

and I am sure he was.

You are already missed
RIP rhymesayer.

Last edited by MYOWNCLICHE on Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:11 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next