spotify is the future
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

mancabbage

spotify is the future  Reply with quote  

</object>

</object>

^ in case you never heard of it.

so yeah, after that free downloads with ads thread, i made thread on this instead.

I really think Spotify is right up there with twitter and facebook as real stepping stones in the web, its a massive shame you can't get it over there in the US (yet), but i guess if/when google or apple buy it, it won't be too long.

I think it could benefit with some kind of podcast like system, then its really fucked radio in the backside, no more paying to get played on the air, personal recommendations + a recommendation engine that knows what you like and recommends you more of it thats related should give real music more lifejackets in the sea of shit it currently has to navigate.

You could have an hour of the latest joe rogan podcast, mixed with ads and the latest atmosphere eps, sent to your phone whilst you're sitting on a fucking mountain somewhere. In some ways it doesn't seem that long since the first ipod came out and we're already here... pretty amazing i think, still a bit pissed off we still don't have the hover boards from back to the future though

Quote:

Rumours have bubbled to the surface of the tech world that Spotify could be bought by gadget behemoth Apple, in what would probably be a deal valued towards the billions.

If that seems a high figure to be speculating about then it should be remembered that decent sources like TechCrunch had a previous buy-out offer from Google valued at $1billion, and the deal didn’t fall through because of the price; the two parties couldn’t agree on how deals with record labels were to be brought in.

‘Apple and Spotify are in on-again, off-again discussions about an acquisition, but at best it’s very early in the process,’ wrote TechCrunch’s Michael Arrington. ‘No firm price has been offered, no term sheet tabled. Still, it’s interesting that the two are talking.’ We’re not sure what would be the ramifications for the service and your enjoyment of it would be if they got their hands on Spotify, apart from a better iPhone app. Hopefully they don’t decide to cripple non-Apple product owners’ use of the service.
Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:21 am
mzehe916

Didn't we have this already? XM radio? I know this offers digital alternatives...sending and receiving music, but I think the bottom line is that most people listen to what they have. I've tried last.com and other internet tuner sites, and have always gone back to my personal collection. The only time I listen to radio is now...because I just bought a car that only has a tape deck in it (fucking tapes...you know how expensive them shits is now?). New radio on the way...back to my music. I may be wrong, but it just seems like these are fun for a while and then you forget about them.
Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:19 pm
mancabbage

naaa man last.fm is a recommendation thing much like the other internet radio thingies before it... Spotify lets you listen to anything - its like searching for an album in the iTunes store, then streaming the entire thing with some 30 sec ad breaks every 4 or so songs. You get x number of hours for free a month but if thats not enough you can upgrade to pro and get lots + no ads. It also has a social feature that links with facebook to let you send whole album / playlists to mate.
Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:14 pm
SergOne

isn't spotify just the uk version of Pandora? well i guess since you can stream songs directly it might be different
Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:11 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JohnSchwan

So is the same thing as grooveshark.com, I think.
Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:25 pm
dsodreams

Or rhapsody? I'm paying $10 a month for that and I stream about any album I want anytime, off my iphone while in the car or computer at home. It's powerful stuff being able to instantly play just about any album.
Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:45 pm
Plum Puddin'

the future isnt available in my country yet.

=(
Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:37 pm
elroy1

hmm..
this seems about as useful as that http://artificial-artificiallight.com website
Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:58 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

So Pandora with the ability to choose music for a price. Sounds like good stuff.
Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:00 pm
anomaly
Loserface

we're slowly becoming social retards. In 100 years, we'll forget how to do the most minimal things.......like going outside our computer rooms to simply buy a loaf of bread.
Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:11 pm
medicineman
HALFLING

anomaly wrote:

we're slowly becoming social retards. In 100 years, we'll forget how to do the most minimal things.......like going outside our computer rooms to simply buy a loaf of bread.

Horrible example. We're talking about the ongoing reform of the distribution of musical art, not unbridled consumerism, christ's sake.
Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:13 pm
Stumbleweed

JohnSchwan wrote:
So is the same thing as grooveshark.com, I think.

GrooveShark fucking rules... and I don't see how that service can be improved-upon in terms of "free music online" except that you don't get to keep it. But since you can dial it up at literally any point, I don't see the need to "possess" the file.
Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:16 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
english bob

elroy1 wrote:
hmm..
this seems about as useful as that http://artificial-artificiallight.com website

no.

i only really ever use spotify when i'm not on my own computer so i cant play my own music collection. but it's great for that.. and sharing playlists etc has provided me with tonnes of newness that i'd never have normally heard.

but the adverts are gash and i'll never pay for it because you dont actually own anything with the money.

it is pretty much like pandora or rhapsody by the look of it, but i have no idea how widely used they are. spotify has taken off fairly well here and the integration with facebook and whatnot puts it in a great position for even more success.

(that said, i still dont really like it.)
Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:20 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

anomaly wrote:

"Nobody will ever buy books or airline tickets on the Internet." - Newsweek, 1995 http://bit.ly/au01Fk
Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:16 pm
Buddy Peace

I hate that about internet commentary. It's not about losing intelligence. If you do nothing else but use the internet and that's it, then of course you will lose basic social functions and become a pretty odd person. If you moderate your usage and remain an individual I see no reason why you'll become stupid.

Also, you don't have to buy anything. It's just easier to do so in the internet.

This is sort of on topic but kind of not too, I know that, but we won't forget how to buy a loaf of bread because we use computers. It's not as easy as basic rewiring - we don't forget how to live just because we have a new way of interacting. It does mean that you're exposed to a lot more weirdness, sure, but you can avoid that.

What's the quality like on Spotify by the way? I'm curious - I've used it on friends computers before but not on mine... Do you stream waves or are they high quality mp3s?
Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:17 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next