Search
Register
SXSW - reviews
View previous topic | View next topic >

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Strange Famous Forum > Old Shows. Come meet the ghost of performance past.

Atreyu

SXSW - reviews  Reply with quote  

I'm going to be in Dallas for work around SXSW and I'm going to shoot over for a few days to visit a friend that lives in Austin.

I was wondering how the concerts and movies work.

They're selling full week passes for 700 bucks on the site.

But I'm only interested in catching a few bands or movies.

Anyone have any information about this?

Thanks!
Post Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:16 pm
Mikal kHill

I'm playing the Flamingo Cantina, with my band The ThoughtCriminals, on march 15th as part of an official showcase with Frontalot and Jesse D and Ghettosocks and Random and Dual Core, then I'm we're backingup Shane Hall at a show with Dolan and Ceschi and Astronautalis on March 19th. We'll be busking and shit at intermittant points between those two dates around austin.

Doomtree plays a full showcase at the same place we are playing the day after we play there, on the 16th. Astronautalis and POS are debuting their collaborative project at this show. I am super stoked about that.

Uhhh...

Beyond that I have no idea. It's gonna be my first time going and I'm going to just sorta go where-ever my friends from Austin drag me, I guess.
Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:10 am
anomaly
Loserface

I've been once before years ago. When we went, some shows you needed a wristband, some you didn't. During the day, you can catch plenty free shows. We went down there specifically for 1 show and had to buy $125/person bands, but "got our money's worth" for all the free shows. I'll head down March 18th and see what I can catch that weekend.

I'm a little bummed all the good stuff happens nights I have to work the next morning. I'm really hoping to get off work and go see Sage. I live in Arlington, TX

Last edited by anomaly on Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:03 am
anomaly
Loserface

If you have an Iphone, there's an "SXSW GO" app that might help out a lot with schedules.....installing now.

http://sxsw.com/node/6481

Edit:
Yeah, you definately need this app.
Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:10 am
Atreyu

Mikal kHill wrote:
I'm playing the Flamingo Cantina, with my band The ThoughtCriminals, on march 15th as part of an official showcase with Frontalot and Jesse D and Ghettosocks and Random and Dual Core, then I'm we're backingup Shane Hall at a show with Dolan and Ceschi and Astronautalis on March 19th. We'll be busking and shit at intermittant points between those two dates around austin.

Doomtree plays a full showcase at the same place we are playing the day after we play there, on the 16th. Astronautalis and POS are debuting their collaborative project at this show. I am super stoked about that.

Uhhh...

Beyond that I have no idea. It's gonna be my first time going and I'm going to just sorta go where-ever my friends from Austin drag me, I guess.

This is one of the shows we were planning on catching. It'll be cool to catch your live show. I've found some other shows I want to see - but I'm in the same boat as you I think... just gonna go where my buddy wants to take me.
Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:16 am
Mikal kHill

Dope, man, make sure you introduce yourself!
Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:37 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I'm playing a club called the Marq from 1am-1:50am on March 18th. I think you need a wristband to get into that show as its an official SXSW showcase, but at such a late hour it's possible the club won't care.

There's a showcase with a lot of New England artists on the 19th. I'm not totally sure of where this is at but B. Dolan, Shane Hall, Ceschi and a lot of others are performing.

If anyone is interested in picking up an extra day show I was just alerted that the Flatstock Poster Convention people were planning on some day events and they need acts. You can hit up flatstock@sxsw.com for details.
Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:48 pm
Atreyu

Mikal kHill wrote:
Dope, man, make sure you introduce yourself!

Will do. I'll be there with this guy. We'll be sure to toast your performance like this, too. I'm on the right. See you in Austin mang!

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:17 pm
Mikal kHill

Nice! :) I will toast with you, if they'll let me drink on stage. haha
Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:35 pm
Ardamus315

Submitted to Sonicbids. Got rejected. Fuck it. Not going. I'll settle for Soundset instead but thats if the homies get on the bill.
Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:44 pm
FuseONE

Whatever you do, wear comfortable shoes. I didn't and I paid for it.
Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:41 pm
noyz319

I've driven up to Austin for sxsw the past two years and never had a wristband. For most of the indie rap shit pay-at-the-door works out, sometimes you need to get there pretty early and line-up, but I haven't had much problems getting into anything. And yeah the free shows sometimes are the best, last year Ceschi and company put on a pretty great one outside on a freakishly cold day.
Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:55 am
b. dolan
FBI agent

I'm playing a couple shows on the 19th, and will be in town start on the 16th, popping in at various spots.

3.19 - Metropolis w/ Awol One, Ceschi, Shane Hall, Prolyphic +more

I'm pretty sure the second one is a barbeque of some kind. they're both unofficial...

Last edited by b. dolan on Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:27 am
MP3D
Straaaange FAMOUS!

killah priest and B??????

any other info about times for this?

SIIIICK
Post Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:52 pm
b. dolan
FBI agent

actually... hah. i just edited that show out of these announcements, as circumstances have changed a bit.

i'm currently in the midst of a slew of emails about that show... what looked at first to be a crew of friends has apparently dissolved into a bit of infighting and competition... which now jeopardizes my performing at that particular showcase...

apparently there's a whole world of unofficial sxsw politics going on. haha.

the good news is the metropolis show is 100%, as is another showcase the day before which i'm not at liberty to announce yet, but features a dope line up in it's own right...

updates to follow.
Post Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:55 pm

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next