Search
Register
::METAL::
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

jehu

selfworth wrote:
i will jam out to anything megadeth up to the rest in peace album. i actually got to see megadeth perform rest in peace about 6 months ago, along with slayer and they did all of seasons in the abyss. anthrax opened up for them. it was like my teen years were brought right back. man, i love late 80's to mid 90's thrash, it doesn't get any better when it comes to metal, in my opinion.

i completely agree. such a great rcord.
Post Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:28 pm
selfworth

still one of my favorite bands ever and they still rip it like they did 25 years ago

Post Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:53 pm
Captiv8

Couple new recs for yas:

Behold...The Arctopus - Skullgrid : This album only loosely fits into the metal genre, and it's a super technical guitar-player's wetdream. Homeboy plays a Warr guitar, which is the weird 12 stringer that you can also hit the bass on.

<object><param></param><param></param><param></param></object>

Definitely not your typical group, which led me to

Indricothere - S/T : The above Warr player, Colin Marston, is involved in a lot of other bands, and this is just him with a drum machine playing some pretty mindblowing riffs. Definitely the more melodic of his projects.

Going back a bit (though they reformed and put out a new record in 2010) I present the original jazz-metal of Atheist (dating back to 1988 for you old school heads). Think of it as metal with some unpredictable improvisation, notable bass, and some different time signatures. Searching for videos on youtube was a fruitless and divergent experience.

Dawnbringer - Nucleus : This is probably the most straightforward metal I'll ever mention on here. We're talking clean vocals, no frills riffs, and, if memory serves, no double-bass drum. The also get props for a decidedly phallic album cover. This isn't really my cup of meat, but a buddy brought them to my attention so I'm paying it forward. This will most definitely please the purists out there.

Post Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:26 pm
heattin

Captiv8 wrote:

Going back a bit (though they reformed and put out a new record in 2010) I present the original jazz-metal of Atheist (dating back to 1988 for you old school heads). Think of it as metal with some unpredictable improvisation, notable bass, and some different time signatures. Searching for videos on youtube was a fruitless and divergent experience.

Fantastic band. Bought Piece of Time a couple of years back having not head it for over 15 years - awesome. Roger Patterson was a phenomenal musician/writer. Another talent taken too young.
Post Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:04 pm
Captiv8

heattin wrote:
Captiv8 wrote:

Fantastic band. Bought Piece of Time a couple of years back having not head it for over 15 years - awesome. Roger Patterson was a phenomenal musician/writer. Another talent taken too young.

I only own Unquestionable Presence but it's some damn fine gusset-sniffin' stuff. I've heard their other two early records and the seem like the same kind of enjoyable sound.
Post Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:08 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Post Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:27 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Post Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:55 pm
SergOne

Captiv8 wrote:
Cripes. I need to add a few things. Neuro, I agree with your assessment of Skeletonwitch. First off, what a great fucking name for a band. Second, I saw these guys live with Trap Them, Toxic Holocaust, and Black Dahlia Murder. Trap Them, I think, were the best band there, but Skeletonwitch were a close second.

Here's a soundclip/vid for Trap Them:

Secondly, it needs to be said that the thread title reminds me of someone I know with Tourette's. One of his main fixation words is "metal" except he says it with a big buildup, like "MMMMMMMMMMMMetuuuuuuuullllllll." He is indeed a fan of metal music, so it works out ok.

To thank you for posting this, saw them twice at sxsw based off of this post and I was awesome, they opened for all pigs must die #bestbestbest
Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:46 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bicycle

This thread needs more

Badass
Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:59 pm
selfworth

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:49 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Bicycle wrote:
This thread needs more

Badass

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:51 pm
selfworth

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:52 pm
Disharmony

Hmmm. Acid Bath must be mentioned...even if they were more acid-doom-metal-esque.
Some of their heavier stuff:

Post Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:01 pm
Captiv8

All right folks, I've got a new batch of metal recommendations.

For those of you that dug Ahab, they have a newer record out, The Divinity of Oceans. Sticking with themes is good. Prepare to get your long song on.

I've also been enjoying Insect Warfare's World Extermination. It's fast grindy shit, like if Municipal Waste took steroids, sorta like Phobia.

Next up, with have Italian madmen Vomit the Soul. I guess the kids are calling this sort of thing "slam death" these days. Labels, right?

These dudes are more hard rocky than metal, but they've been dominating my iTunes of late. They're off Mike Patton's Ipecac label, so you can expect some weird shit from time to time. I present Zu. Apparently they've been around for a while, but they're new to my catalog.

Finally, I'm throwing Trigger the Bloodshed into the mix. I'm really digging their latest record, Degenerate. Expect fast as fuck death metal thematically similar to Dying Fetus.

Post Wed May 11, 2011 10:06 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Post Wed May 11, 2011 10:13 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19, 20, 21  Next