Search
Register
SFF taboos
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Flossin

SFF taboos  Reply with quote  

Lately (and not just lately..) there's been some threads here that swiftly got deleted and from what I know it wasn't because it was already discussed elsewhere on the board or something. This happens a lot with threads about some artists that are not well liked here or cause some controversy. It's not only that, there are also other types of stuff that get the boot, but these are the ones I've been wondering about, mostly.

Now I'm not trying to pick up on any of those specific threads, cause I know this is Sage's forum and he can do whatever he feels like over here (and I'm thankful that he runs this forum, cause it's a great place and I sure wouldn't want to be banned from here) and if something gets deleted we shouldn't keep on making threads about it etc etc.

What I was wondering about are the causes for certain threads (esp. the ones related to some artists) being done with real fast.

Is it because Sage/the mod team knows there will be some shit talking on those threads and they don't want the label affiliated with that cause it might cause some dumb internet beef or whatever? Is it cause they feel that stuff gets discussed everywhere else on the internet so there's no reason for it over here? Are those artists just not well liked in the SFR camp?

Just interested in that, cause I was often curious about the replies some of those threads would get and when they disappeared I was wondering why that happened. None of my threads were deleted, I don't have a problem with anything and I'm not trying to argue with anybody about their reasons for deleting. Just curious.

PS: Please don't use this thread to bitch about specific threads you made being deleted etc. I'm trying to ask about this in a subtle way, without being banned out of here. Please don't ban me.;)

Last edited by Flossin on Thu May 19, 2011 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu May 19, 2011 9:09 am
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Don't look at me....

It's their court.
It's their rules.

Post Thu May 19, 2011 9:21 am
Jesse Custer

This is kinda on a tangeant but related.. Something I was wondering.

There's a metal thread, and we get other various music threads crop up, but new hip hop recommendations kinda get buried in the Random Video Thread.

I thought of starting a rolling hip hop recommendations thread but worried that it might fall under the category of banworthy, or at least just get deleted.

I think it could be really good, provided it was stipulated that you can't just go in there and post your own or your mates' music.
Post Thu May 19, 2011 9:40 am
redball

I think there's two criteria to think of before you post about an artist/band/group:

1. Is this related to SFR and/or sold at the SFR store?

2. Is this of importance to hip hop culturally, historically, or at least on a large scale at this moment.

The first is self-explanatory. You can and should talk about artists that are featured here. Start a thread, so long as there isn't one. Always fine.

The second one is a little more difficult to judge. You have to ask the question not from the viewpoint of a fan of whatever artist, or yourself if you're the artist. Basically this means that we can talk about white rappers, we can talk about Kanye's new album, we can talk about NWA. Those are all topics that affect hip hop on a macro scale.

What we can't do is create promo threads anymore. Not for ourselves. Not for our friends. Not for our favorite other artist that isn't featured on this label or at this store. If you want to do that there's a catchall beats thread for music and a catchall video thread for video.

Shit like blogs, etc, just don't have any place for promo here. If you have a blog and you write something particularly interesting then maybe post that... but don't make it an advertisement to read your blog. Don't post every article off your blog, either.

That's the basic guidelines. There may be an exception here or there. There are certainly artists/discussions that fit the second criteria who are taboo. I won't bother to mention them, but suffice to say that you won't get banned for posting a thread about them, unless you do it repeatedly.

Lastly, don't take it personal if your thread/post gets deleted. It just means that the mods don't want that discussion to take place, not that they hate you or have it out to get you.
Post Thu May 19, 2011 9:46 am
Flossin

I get all that, redball. I just think that sometimes stuff that fits the criteria you mentioned (and doesn't break any of the rules stated in the rules section of the forum) gets the boot anyway. And those times leave me wondering.
Post Thu May 19, 2011 9:52 am
redball

Like I said, those are personal preference. We don't know the reasons why those are deleted and they won't ever be explained. Could be business, could be politics, but some topics are taboo.

Just make a note that you posted about it and it was removed and try not to do it again.
Post Thu May 19, 2011 9:56 am
mzehe916

I am pretty sure that most threads that get deleted are done so on accident. So, to please the mods (and entertain the peanut gallery) please repost your threads. In fact, double post them for added security. This is best when done between the hours of 6am est and 10am est (if I had to guess when these guys sleep i would say between these hours). You are welcome.
Post Thu May 19, 2011 10:06 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

This doesn't happen with "a lot of threads." There are a few artists/groups that we simply don't want promoted through our channels. This won't stop their promotion in general as they're being discussed on virtually every other music-related site. I like the other things we discuss here.
Post Thu May 19, 2011 12:04 pm

Jump to: