Search
Register
the usual TV thread
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

mattarl

mortalthoughts wrote:
anyone watch fringe? im on disc 2 of season 2 this show has me hooked from the start. im curious to see how far they can possibly take the alternate universe thing

I really liked the entire series despite the rushed ending due to the last season being cut in half. They bring everything back around.
Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:40 am
Flossin

I'm still watching Walking Dead, despite the show being a huge mess. It's both really dragging at times and skipping ahead too much, doing away with interesting things that could be exploited some more in the span of an episode. The pacing of that show is all over the place.

Also waiting for Game of Thrones to come back, which should be pretty damn great.

Heard good things about Fringe, but have yet to check it out.
Post Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:40 pm
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

Flossin wrote:

Heard good things about Fringe, but have yet to check it out.

think sci-fi meets csi
Post Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:07 pm
xGasPricesx

I've seen the first 3 episodes of The Americans so far and I have to say that I am pretty impressed. Matthew Rhys, Keri Russell and Noah Emmerich are all fantastic in their respective roles, and the last episode I saw introduced Margo Martindale's character, who is an actress that I fell in love with after season 2 of Justified. I was a little hesitant about the show going in, but so far they are really going about things in interesting and exciting ways. I definitely foresee it getting better from here too, so I'm excited to see what the show has up it's sleeve. I definitely recommend checking it out.
Post Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:55 pm
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

im really surprised more people here weren't into fringe...it seems like it would be up a lot of peoples heres alley
Post Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:07 pm
tommi teardrop

I been watching the Americans while I wait for Breaking Bad and Mad Men to come back. My girl is into the Walking Dead but when I try to watch, I just can't get into it. I feel like I'm watching the TV version of the Stand. The look and feel of it are like some shitty PBS series to me. Am I crazy or what? I hear about a lot of people really liking this show. Is it just soap opera-ey entertaining or does it really make you think and feel something?

Other than that, I watch Girls every week, and I think Lena Dunham is the shit.
Post Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:35 pm
mattarl

mortalthoughts wrote:
im really surprised more people here weren't into fringe...it seems like it would be up a lot of peoples heres alley

agreed.
tommi teardrop wrote:
Am I crazy or what? I hear about a lot of people really liking this show. Is it just soap opera-ey entertaining or does it really make you think and feel something?

I feel the same way. I watch it with friends but I'm hopelessly pulling for the zombies.

tommi teardrop wrote:

I think Lena Dunham is the shit.

agreed, but this season is starting to be hit or miss with me.
Post Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:41 pm
Captiv8

mancabbage wrote:
did anyone watch house of cards?

I wrapped up season four of Sons of Anarchy and season eight of It's Always Sunny so I figured I'd give this a go. Two episodes deep and I really like it. It's like a quasi-sinister version of Wag the Dog meets Ides of March meets In the Loop. The asides by Spacey are great, and I like seeing his interaction with his wife compared to everyone else. I think the biggest accomplishment of the show isn't so much it's premise, but where that premise might lead. I'm drawn in enough to keep watching, so that's good.
Post Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:47 pm
Captiv8

Wow. House of Cards really took a dark turn there, which was a shocking departure from the sleezy, manipulative, but still believable feel heretofore. And goddammit if Kate Mara doesn't look like an actual human-sized elf.
Post Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:23 pm
Brynjar

mortalthoughts wrote:

The first two seasons are fantastic, the third season is good but after that it went down the toilet
Post Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:12 pm
Captiv8

Anyone else interested in the upcoming Netflix show, Hemlock Grove? Eli Roth is involved in some capacity. I watched the trailer and it looks like they're desperately trying to cash in on American Horror Story's popularity. There also appears to be some blatant Twin Peaks co-opting going on, along with your usual blend of unfounded, semi-mythical gypsy lore, the 'scared teen in the woods' trope, and a healthy bit of animal shapeshifting thrown in for the Twilight kids. All of that said, I'll probably check it out just to see what the score is. I'm banking on either pure trash or cult-level awesomeness.
Post Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:24 pm
ROTTY

Captiv8 wrote:
Anyone else interested in the upcoming Netflix show, Hemlock Grove? Eli Roth is involved in some capacity. I watched the trailer and it looks like they're desperately trying to cash in on American Horror Story's popularity. There also appears to be some blatant Twin Peaks co-opting going on, along with your usual blend of unfounded, semi-mythical gypsy lore, the 'scared teen in the woods' trope, and a healthy bit of animal shapeshifting thrown in for the Twilight kids. All of that said, I'll probably check it out just to see what the score is. I'm banking on either pure trash or cult-level awesomeness.

I just saw the trailer. I agree with your thoughts. Very cliche ideas in there. It looks way too pretty and i wish they would stop doing that with tv shows.....trying to cater to the abominable generation....I want grit and ugly! But yes i will try the first 3 episodes and see what kind of stink i get from it then.
Post Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:57 pm
Captiv8

ROTTY wrote:
Captiv8 wrote:

I just saw the trailer. I agree with your thoughts. Very cliche ideas in there. It looks way too pretty and i wish they would stop doing that with tv shows.....trying to cater to the abominable generation....I want grit and ugly! But yes i will try the first 3 episodes and see what kind of stink i get from it then.

That's it, man. It's like they slapped on the sinister but still sleek and sexy veneer of Once Upon a Time. Fuck that. Give me a horror program, recurring weekly, that makes me shit myself. Ruin children's dreams kind of programming, you know? Fucking yuppies.
Post Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:52 pm
xGasPricesx

That show definitely doesn't look like it's for me, but a show like what Cap just described probably wouldn't be either. I will be happy if they can tap into the American Horror Story/Twilight success train and make some serious money off it though. I'm really curious to see what Netflix does in the future with their original programming, especially if they have a lot of money to throw around.

On another note, how about that last episode of Justified? Gawddamn, that was seriously Justified at it's finest, which is to say, some amazing and extremely entertaining television. Everything about that episode was just pure awesome, and it really made me appreciate their casting of Patton Oswalt even more than I already did. So excited for the last two episodes of the season. For those who still haven't started this show yet, ya'll are sleeping and really need to get on it. Boyd Crowder alone makes that show worth watching, not to mention the million other awesome characters and plots that make the show so fucking awesome.
Post Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:48 pm
Nemonic7

Just finally completed watching the last season of 24. Best show ever.
Post Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:27 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next