Search
Register
Post Malone
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

anomaly
Loserface

Post Malone  Reply with quote  

I'm not sure what to think of this guy but he came out of nowhere w/ a few songs I don't mind. What are your thoughts? I'm somewhat scratching my head on this one.

Discuss.

<object><param><param><param>

<object><param><param><param>
Post Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:01 pm
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

not something i will actively seek out but something i might not skip if it came up on pandora....
Post Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:06 pm
SergOne

Industry plant

Fuck this kid
Post Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:20 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Anyone who pops up out of nowhere with tons of media support and (somehow) a huge following is, to me, an industry plant. And I feel that's obvious.

Yet, that applies to almost any music celebrity these days. So my main question is...what artist that has suddenly hit the scene with a bunch of success within the past 10 years isn't an industry plant? And what does "industry plant" mean at this point? I'm not asking facetiously. I'm sure there's an actual answer and I'm sincerely interested in making sense of this shit.
Post Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:27 am
sewer samuel

Sage Francis wrote:
Anyone who pops up out of nowhere with tons of media support and (somehow) a huge following is, to me, an industry plant. And I feel that's obvious.

Yet, that applies to almost any music celebrity these days. So my main question is...what artist that has suddenly hit the scene with a bunch of success within the past 10 years isn't an industry plant? And what does "industry plant" mean at this point? I'm not asking facetiously. I'm sure there's an actual answer and I'm sincerely interested in making sense of this shit.

tyler the creator?

although i didnt follow the beginning of his career that closely.
Post Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:42 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

There were a lot of rumors about OF being industry plants. I mean...they did kind of explode out of nowhere with high production videos. I know there was a lot of discussio about this soon after they hit the mainstream, but I didn't care to follow it. To me it seemed they obviously had backers and people in the industry pulling a lot of strings. But that's not to say they lack talent, ingenuity, or business sense. I reckon that's probably a requirement for an "industry plant." At least two of those three things anyway.
Post Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:37 pm
CriticalTheory_Breakfast

Sage Francis wrote:

What is "the scene" if not the industry? The only mainstream success someone can get without the industry is going "viral", which will either be short-lived or quickly followed up by industry power.

After witnessing the great Macklemore Myth I'm realizing that "indie" is just the industry's way of introducing their new artists in a way that doesn't make it so obvious. Thing is-- I don't know what a mainstream artist without industry even looks like. It's chicken vs egg-- I don't think there's an answer to your question.
Post Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:39 am
b. dolan
FBI agent

https://youtu.be/CQf4Za7U-Co?t=360

just gonna leave that there. later in the interview he also goes into the fact that he signed to a major and talks about the same things being discussed here.
Post Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:02 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Uhhh...eek. That started off rough. After that initial high-cringe BLM interaction, he handled himself really well with the indie discussion. "Maybe I'm just not smart enough" was a humble/smart thing to say, even if not totally true. I wish they would have let him go in on about that and how other artists they mentioned aren't really independent.
Post Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:26 pm
Limbs

His music is garbage.

Kinda baffled anyone would think otherwise.
Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:59 am
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

Limbs wrote:
His music is garbage.

Kinda baffled anyone would think otherwise.

Because music isn't subjective and has to be as deep as sages music all the time right?
Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:32 pm
Limbs

this actually made me listen one more time.

yes. you are correct.

enjoy it all you want. just admit its shit.
Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:16 pm

Jump to: