Search
Register
Google Plus
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

redball

Google Plus  Reply with quote  

Alternative Title: The Google Plus Thread

So I've been kicking tires on G+ for a week or so. The people who are on it seem to be pretty excited and happy with the way it works, except that it's a pain in the ass to get an invite so we're all stuck in a little vacuum. It doesn't look like this will go down the way Buzz did, either. (And hopefully it will not become online Brazil like Orkut.)

For those of you not in the know:

Google Plus (Google+, G+) is a new social network that's in beta right now. It's a lot like Facebook, but without all of the bullshit. No apps yet. You don't "friend" someone the way you do on FB, instead you add them to one or more of your circles. When you share stuff you can post it to any combination of circles, as well as publicly. These features combine to give you better social management than FB while allowing you to post publicly a la Twitter or a Blog (no character limit).

Because of the way Circles work it doesn't need to have "pages" like FB does. You can simply put your favorite celebrities into the "Following" circle, or make your own circle to throw them in. There's no limit on how many people can be in your circles, nor how many people can put you into theirs.

tl;dr: G+ is pretty cool so you'll likely have another social network soon. Here's some videos.

Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:39 am
mancabbage

i am on it and i am talking about my nipples

its good
Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:05 am
mancabbage

staring defeat in the face. wut
Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:09 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

whatever happened to that other google shit that was supposed to pop off, i cant even remember what it was called

i guess it never did huh
Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:13 am
zeem

wave? That was just letters put together to make a word. This is a fucking plus sign man. It's going to be huge.
Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:21 am
Jesse Custer

Re: Hey Sage, you ready to figure out another social network  Reply with quote  

redball wrote:
Alternative Title: The Google Plus Thread

Because of the way Circles work it doesn't need to have "pages" like FB does. You can simply put your favorite celebrities into the "Following" circle, or make your own circle to throw them in. There's no limit on how many people can be in your circles, nor how many people can put you into theirs.

I don't quite get how that works..

Very likely theoretical situation - if you're a big name, and you want to allow people to follow you, but don't want to see any of their updates, unless they're specifically directed at you, how would that work? With the circles thing..

Also, calling shotgun now if anyone gets any invites to give out to peeps on here! :p
Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:23 am
zeem

this plus sign shit is actually a card straight from microsoft. They used to charge people for more features and clipart and shit on their programs. Windows Plus!

has it been enough time? Fuck no. My 8 year old ass hated that shit.
Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:25 am
redball

Re: Hey Sage, you ready to figure out another social network  Reply with quote  

Jesse Custer wrote:
I don't quite get how that works..

Very likely theoretical situation - if you're a big name, and you want to allow people to follow you, but don't want to see any of their updates, unless they're specifically directed at you, how would that work? With the circles thing..

I don't think what you want is specifically possible in this system. At least not how it is currently. You can easily not see their updates, but you won't be able to see the updates directed at you in that situation. It's more likely that a public figure would either not add their followers to circles or would put them into a circle that they rarely view. Then again, I'm not sure because I haven't tried it at all.
Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:38 am
SFR announcement

I've been following stories about it. I'm not terribly excited to jump into another social network but I also don't want to wait too long like I did with FB if this shit jumps off.
Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:06 am
redball

Here's a sales pitch:
http://techcrunch.com/2011/07/05/google-plus-sharing/

Quote:

How large? Well, since its launch last Tuesday, Google+ has already cracked our top ten referring sites. It currently resides just behind Digg in that timespan. If you narrow that down to just count July so far (a few days after launch, so more users had time to sign up), the numbers are even better. It would already be the number seven referrer, just behind Hacker News. And itís already a fifth as large as the leading social referrer, facebook.com.

Also, remember MySpace Tom? He's on there. Seems to be legit unlike Zuck's profile.
Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:12 am
FuseONE

I deleted my facebook account a couple months ago. i really haven't missed it.
Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:50 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

Goddamit google, develop a replacement for twitter not fb. Fb I can handle, twitter is crap.
Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:19 pm
mancabbage

This is both. Circles man. I got mine so it's: family, friends, work. When it takes off I'll add a musicians circle and randominterestingpeople one. It also has gtalk integrated so today's Facebook/skype announcement isn't gona worry anyone.

Twitter has way too much noise to actual information, this is a far more elegant solution imo
Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:31 pm
Eric B

I know you want to make an SFR circle and invite us all.
Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:06 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

I like this idea.

I hope Facebook copies the idea.

There are a couple of friends, family members and co-workers that I would like to add, but not have them see my profile/my updates..

I'd like an inner circle of trust, an outer circle of hanger-ons and the exoskeleton of table-scraps.
Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:36 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next