Search
Register
Scroobius Pip "DISTRACTION PIECES" LP + 5 videos
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > SFR Artists, Albums & Merch!

mancabbage

Sage Francis wrote:
Introdiction was the 4th most played video on youtube yesterday. How insane is that?

Whoa thats crazy, well deserved though. Blows my mind that there's 48 hours of video uploaded to that site every single minute.
Post Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:39 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

We're planning on doing a video for the song that P.O.S. and I are on. Hopefully it gets even HALF of the reception that Introdiction did, but I'm not banking on it. haha. I love seeing good and talented people get their due. Pip went DIY like a motherfucker on this project and it's paying off. Love that.
Post Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:42 pm
Hellen Earth
could be a girl. could be a guy.

This is the first song I've really been able to get past my accented hip-hop bias. I can't stop listening and watching.
Post Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:22 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

I'm kicking myself for sleeping on this for 4 days already.
Post Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:20 pm
jakethesnake

Also a few things I learned the other day about youtube, it goes by the same rules as a google search, which means if you put a dash "-" in the title, it acts as a subtraction so if people search for Scroobius Pip it's less likely to come up (try searching for the exact phrase "Introdiction -Scroobius Pip"). Also, tags are least important of the search factors. The title has the most weight, the description second, and the tags 3rd. So adding words like "beard", "fire" and "hair" to the tags will get you more views than putting "Scroobius Pip" in the tags, since that is already in the title and description, whereas the first 3 words are not.

This has been a PSA for youtubers everywhere.
Post Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:31 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

jakethesnake wrote:
Also a few things I learned the other day about youtube, it goes by the same rules as a google search, which means if you put a dash "-" in the title, it acts as a subtraction so if people search for Scroobius Pip it's less likely to come up (try searching for the exact phrase "Introdiction -Scroobius Pip"). Also, tags are least important of the search factors.

FUCKKKKKKKKK, man. You serious?? Hahahah. You may have just clued me into something that has been bugging me for ages. Christ. Time for me to go through SFR's youtube page and take all the god damn dashes out of the titles.

*smacks head repeatedly*
Post Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:45 pm
jakethesnake

I know right? Computers and their weird rules and shit muckin' up the works. Hope that helps someone get some more views.
Post Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:14 am
Stormshadow

Love everything about the song. The lyrics, the production, and the video. A good 20 of those views are mine, I keep coming back. Will definitely get the album.

Seems like alot of people have a problem with the accents, I think it creates a character with identity that music always needs (comes in many forms). I have a hard time listening to great artists (lyrically) that lack character and charisma ...Pip has both.
Post Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:47 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Over 64K views now! Not bad, Mr. Pip. Not bad at alllllllll. I expect that to go way up in the next month.

jakethesnake,
I want to return to this youtube titling issue. Can you link me to a place that clearly explains what you're talking about? Because according to my youtube searches, what you mentioned doesn't seem to be true.
Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:03 pm
jakethesnake

Hmm, I can look for it again I don't recall the link specifically, but try searching

Introdiction -Scroobius Pip
Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:15 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

What if there's a space between the dash and his name?

I mean, I know that searching on google with a dash means "minus whatever word comes after this dash" but I don't think putting a dash in a youtube title is effecting searches in that way. Because when people are searching they don't really put in dashes.
Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:31 pm
iammessage

2. Let 'Em Come (ft Sage Francis & P.O.S. Produced by Worgie & Yila)

reading that makes me very excited
Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:56 pm
laurapalmer

Jake / Sage and whoever cares about this shit.

Nah.

What Jake is talking about are search operators, they help you do searches, but the way they act doesn't impact titling with the dash in the way that Jake interpreted it.

One of these is probably what Jake saw:

http://www.cnet.com.au/youtube-guide-to-advanced-features-339296349.htm

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/search-youtube-pro-google-advanced-operators/

But regardless, that isn't really impacting titling. There are a number of operators i use everyday as a search engine optimization/interactive agency guy, and all of them impact the engine use, they aren't related to the content the engine serves up in a one to one example. Such as the + sign...that doesn't give me content with a + in the title, instead it makes a word be in my results because it tells the search engine "include this, dog." As google operates youtube (and owns them), the search works the same. Those operators work for both. Bing and Yahoo have some search operator overlap, but have some tweaks too.

Overall, the "problem" with the SFR channel is a lack of consistency in titling and use of meta data. I can shoot you a note via the email about it.

And...the scroobius pip video is fucking fire.
Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:34 pm
jakethesnake

Hmm, it was a similar article but one really about how to properly title. They did mention the stuff you did about consistency in titling but it seemed to focus more on adding specific search criteria to your description, titles, tags, etc to make it more visible, while just noting things like confusing titles with things like dashes, etc. can cause things to be omitted if people are searching for them.

Sounds like that is more of your area of expertise though. I don't want to end up wasting your time if someone that knows better than I can offer more efficient information so I'll bow out. I can't seem to find the article at the moment as it is.
Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:10 pm
laurapalmer

jakethesnake wrote:
Hmm, it was a similar article but one really about how to properly title. They did mention the stuff you did about consistency in titling but it seemed to focus more on adding specific search criteria to your description, titles, tags, etc to make it more visible, while just noting things like confusing titles with things like dashes, etc. can cause things to be omitted if people are searching for them.

Sounds like that is more of your area of expertise though. I don't want to end up wasting your time if someone that knows better than I can offer more efficient information so I'll bow out. I can't seem to find the article at the moment as it is.

I feel you. a lot of people try to work in weird stuff like ! or () or * or whatever and that causes problems. additionally, people are really big at leaving out nouns. pronouns do no good for search. my rule of thumb for titling is decide what you want to show up for before you write the title, lead with it, and then get progressively less important, kind of the journalism lead approach. i do the same with descriptions or content for web pages too.
Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:49 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next